Guess What Happened In My Hood Today?

Lived here since 1970. Nice 1950s brick bungalows line the street. Heard a commotion outside late this afternoon...thought the skateboarders were doing their thing. Little later, we were going out to eat. Imagine my surprise seeing a large deer with antlers hanging in neighbors carport just a few feet from street. Hour later came home, deer still hanging in carport, skinned & head off. Aging hippie lives there. Bet no one has ever seen this in East End, North Side or other areas that are not considered "gentrified"!

Imagine my surprise seeing a large deer with antlers hanging in neighbors carport just a few feet from street. Hour later came home, deer still hanging in carport, skinned & head off. Aging hippie lives there. Bet no one has ever seen this in East End, North Side or other areas that are not considered "gentrified"!

We've had goats and a pig roasted in a pit dug in a front yard before, but never a deer.

Lived here since 1970. Nice 1950s brick bungalows line the street. Heard a commotion outside late this afternoon...thought the skateboarders were doing their thing. Little later, we were going out to eat. Imagine my surprise seeing a large deer with antlers hanging in neighbors carport just a few feet from street. Hour later came home, deer still hanging in carport, skinned & head off. Aging hippie lives there. Bet no one has ever seen this in East End, North Side or other areas that are not considered "gentrified"!

um, we have plucked geese and skinned deer right in the driveway of our Tanglewood house. This is Texas after all. Only complaints we got were in The Woodlands about such things. The yanks couldn't take it.

When I lived in the Heights, the family across the backyard chain-link fence kept a chicken tied up in their yard. Our cats treated it like television. They'd spend hours watching the chicken show.

Don't forget, it's illegal to have these kind of animals captive in the city limits. Call the fuzz or 311.

We were glad when the gun-toting drunks next door finally fled. Seemed every other weekend they had wild, beer swiggin, rooster fighting games going on. Then on off days, they would let the pitbulls attack each other for entertainment. I should have charged a fee and invited onlookers from my 2nd story for a ringside seat. Can't beat em join em I guess.

Needles to say, we popped a champagne bottle open when they finally hit the road. Now they are in the news (whole other topic).

Moral to story: It can always be worse than what you think. :)

you better keep it clean or the health dept will get ya.

true - if anyone acts on it:

Sec. 6-31. Location restrictions for fowl.

It shall be unlawful, except as provided in sections 6-33 and 6-34 of this Code, for any person to keep, possess or maintain in the city any chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, pea-fowls, or any other bird or fowl, except parakeets, canaries, parrots, cockatoos, macaws or similar size birds, or any pens, enclosures, or other structures in which any such fowl are kept or possessed within 100 feet of any actual residence or habitation of human beings, or within 100 feet of any church, school or hospital, other than the residence of the keeper, possessor or owner of such fowl, such distance of 100 feet to be measured in a straight line from the nearest point of any pen, enclosure, or other such structure in which such fowl are kept to the nearest point of such actual residence or place of human habitation, or church, school or hospital.

(Code 1968,

• The title was changed to Guess What Happened In My Hood Today?

Archived