Sea-Arama Marineworld Park At 91st St. & Seawall Blvd.

Mom: "Guess where we're going after church?

Me (at 5 years old): "Where?"

Mom: "We're going to Sea-Arama!"

Me: "Great. What's a 'Rama'?"

Mom: "No, bubba, we're not going to see a Rama, we're going to Sea-Arama!"

Me: "Um, OK. So ... what's a 'Rama', anyway?"

My dad laughed all the way to Galveston. Ever after we got there, I kept looking for the Rama.

I reckon I looked at the wrong thing on Google maps, thinking it was Sea Arama, but after looking at that picture it's clearly not.

Poor old Sea Arama.

Anyway, I was in Galveston the other day and was wondering where it was and if it had been torn down yet.

I wonder why Galveston hasn't opened another Sea Arama/Sea World-type park.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I reckon I looked at the wrong thing on Google maps, thinking it was Sea Arama, but after looking at that picture it's clearly not.

Poor old Sea Arama.

Anyway, I was in Galveston the other day and was wondering where it was and if it had been torn down yet.

I wonder why Galveston hasn't opened another Sea Arama/Sea World-type park.

I know this is off-topic, but Kimberlysaywhat, I love your current signature, or should I say "Lost short-moving pic"... :lol::lol::lol: I just watched last weeks episode...Hurley is a really big guy, height-wise, towers over John Locke & Ben.

Oh, by the way, Sea-Arama has/had nice googie style architecture, semi-circle roofs.

Edited by NenaE

I'm sorry, but considering the suffering and death those poor sea creatures endured, I have no fond memories of this place. Anyone remember the beluga whales imported in the late 1980s that died about 2 months later? This place was a joke and deserves to be gone.

Plus, I think the same architect who designed Sea-Arama must have designed my high school, Westchester. Same stupid arches.

• 2 years later...

Plus, I think the same architect who designed Sea-Arama must have designed my high school, Westchester. Same stupid arches.

Hmmm, obviously not a googie lover.

I was curious, so I looked it up.

Sea-Arama was designed by W.O. Gustafson (Architect). He also is credited with The Tidelands Inn, among other things. I can see a resemblance in the style.

As for Westchester Sr. High School - Koetter, Tharp & Cowell, arch. (AIA Arch Guide).

I never realized until today, while looking at the aerials, that Sea Arama was located so close to Scholes airport.

Edited by NenaE

• The title was changed to Have They Torn Down Sea Arama Yet?
  • The title was changed to Sea-Arama Marineworld Park At 91st St. & Seawall Blvd.
  • 4 months later...

Sea-Arama Marineworld Park was one of the Galveston attractions I wanted to visit, but never "got around" to visiting before it closed.

Years later, I made several visits to Sea-Arama Marineworld Park, near St. Augustine FL, while working as a public school teacher. This was one of several attractions in the St. Augustine area that met my employers' requirement that all student field trip destinations must have legitimate educational content.