Receiving "outside" stations on the radio and TV

JLWM8609

Last night, I was sitting in a parking lot in Meyer Park and was able to hear KBPA 103.5FM from Austin. It came in clear for a few minutes before fading out. I was pretty surprised to have picked up that station so far away from its broadcast on a regular car radio. I've also had the same thing happen in NE Austin once while being able to hear Houston's KMJQ 102.1FM clear as a bell while going down Jollyville Rd, and even being able to pick up NBC 4 and CBS 6 out of Beaumont on TV right here near Downtown Houston. While not unusual, I found it interesting. Anyone been able to pick up out of town stations on regular TV and radio equipment in Houston lately?

Everything you ever wanted to know about tropo, e-skip, DXing and more. Also see the article on tropospheric scatter.

Used to be a lot easier on TV because TV tuners used to be a lot better and there were fewer stations. I've seen a station out of New Orleans before (8?), but not in a long time.

Also used to be easier on AM because there were a lot fewer stations; today the dial is very crowded.

For TV, try this website: http://www.antennaweb.org. And when you get there, click on the "Choose an antenna" button.

They will ask you a few questions (such as if there are any trees or tall buildings nearby). I did a study of available stations from Sugar Land and most of the transmitters came within 7 miles of where I am at, which is no surprise given that almost every TV station transmits from due east of Missouri City. No out of town stations, though, just a couple of LPTVs (K30CV and KHMV-LP for instance).

I should also mention that in parts of Montgomery County, with a directional antenna, you would be able to get KBTX (CBS-Bryan/College Station).

back in the 90's - usually when it was foggy - i could pick up c101 fm out of corpus christi on my home stereo (while trying to tune in KLOL).

Sometimes i could get a san antonio tv station (can't remember which one) when i had rabbit ears on my tv.

Back in the 70's, on clear nights, my little transistor radio could get WWL in new orleans, KMOX in st louis, and sometimes KWKH out of shreveport. Might still be able to do that but i don't goof around with radio much anymore. :P

• 1 month later...

When I lived in Nassau Bay back in the 1980s I could pick up a radio station from Iowa City, Iowa well enough and long enough to listen to the Hayden Fry call in show. It came in better around Baybrook Mall, faded a bit through Webster, then boomed through down by the water on Upper Bay Road.

Archived