It's beginning to look a lot like....

Subdude

So this week the place directly across the street from where I work put up Christmas ("holiday" for you sensitive souls) lighting above the entryway into their building. It doesn't scream "Christmas," it's just a large fancy design of white lights, but on the other hand it has these little embedded strobe lights, so it keeps catching my eye everytime I glance out the window.

Jeez Louise, it's still October! Shouldn't there be a law against this?

So this week the place directly across the street from where I work put up Christmas ("holiday" for you sensitive souls) lighting above the entryway into their building. It doesn't scream "Christmas," it's just a large fancy design of white lights, but on the other hand it has these little embedded strobe lights, so it keeps catching my eye everytime I glance out the window.

Jeez Louise, it's still October! Shouldn't there be a law against this?

Maybe it's Halloween lights? ha ha I love Xmas... but let's at least wait for Halloween to be over. Home Depot had tons of Xmas decorations out when I was there the other day... uugh! At least it's cooler now and feeling more like Halloween / Thanksgiving / Xmas.

Try this on for size:

The other day I saw where someone placed an artificial Christmas tree with ornaments, on top of a grave marker (of a loved one) with white spider webs & tiny ghosts, all over it. Kind of like celebrating a morbid Holiday? Just like something out of a Tim Burton film. I could just picture Beetlejuice popping out! :wacko:

• 1 month later...
We have been getting Holiday catalogs in the mail already.

Now they are really pouring in! I see JC Penney's/Macy's/Best Buy/Target, etc in my dreams/nightmares.

I'll buy anyone some pizza/beer if they put up my lights, tree, etc. Just too lazy this year. :)

The Clear Channel "Lite" stations in Milwaukee, Chicago, and a few other markets (interestingly, not New York) went all-Christmas in mid-October. Even I thought that was too early, but I still listened.

Satellite radio put in an all-Christmas station on Thanksgiving day, as usual. It's a great way to contrast all the good things about sat radio compared to terrestrial radio. Listing to WLIT I've been able to listen to 15 minutes of commercials an hour and a playlist of about 50 songs. Now that I've been able to switch to Sirius' Christmas station there are no commercials, and the playlist is at least 200 songs -- probably more. There are Christmas songs my wife has never heard of (like Dominic The Christmas Donkey -- must be an East Coast thing), and even I am occasionally stunned to hear Christmas songs I've never heard before. The same cannot be said of Clear Channel's offering.

The mid-October onslaught is merely a reflection of retailer fear of lackluster Christmas sales. By extending the marketing blitz from the "traditional" day after Thaksgiving (32 days) to the day after Halloween (54 days) to the increasingly common mid-October (69 days), retailers increase the frequency of their advertising, thereby (hopefully) increasing sales. Remember the marketing studies that suggest a commercial must be seen or heard 7 times before a consumer consciously remembers it? Obviously, doubling the shopping season doubles the number of times retailers can air their commercials.

All-Christmas radio stations are merely a function of the extended Christmas marketing season. What better place to market your Christmas sale than to an audience listening to Christmas music? Certainly, the editor, who LOVES Christmas music, is a better target market than me, who privately boycotts the crass over-commercialization of the Christmas season. I am now a Thanksgiving fan, as it is the only holiday that is immune to the retail and greeting card industry, favoring friend and family over materialism.

Dominic The Christmas Donkey

Seriously? :lol: I'd rather a pointy stick in my eye than listen to an all-Christmas radio station, but I gotta hear this. Dominic the Donkey does what? goes for a christmas visit to Salvatore the Butcher? I'd ask my mom but she's a south of the mason-dixon line Sicilian-American.

Charlie Brown Christmas is tonight!

I love the part when he says, "Do they really have to have a holiday to emphasize my depression?"

Hilarious!

Best part still is when Snoopy kisses Lucy, "I've been kissed by a dog! Hurry, Someone get some mouthwash, get some disinfectant! :lol:

Good Grief!

charlie-brown-christmas-tree.jpg

The mid-October onslaught is merely a reflection of retailer fear of lackluster Christmas sales. By extending the marketing blitz from the "traditional" day after Thaksgiving (32 days) to the day after Halloween (54 days) to the increasingly common mid-October (69 days), retailers increase the frequency of their advertising, thereby (hopefully) increasing sales. Remember the marketing studies that suggest a commercial must be seen or heard 7 times before a consumer consciously remembers it? Obviously, doubling the shopping season doubles the number of times retailers can air their commercials.
Oops. I guess me switching to satellite radio ruined their plans. No commericals for me (unless there are still companies out there making hammers and jacks, also a ball and a whip that cracks.) I've done all of my shopping already anyway.
Charlie Brown Christmas is tonight!I love the part when he says, "Do they really have to have a holiday to emphasize my depression?" Hilarious! Best part still is when Snoopy kisses Lucy, "I've been kissed by a dog! Hurry, Someone get some mouthwash, get some disinfectant! :lol: Good Grief!
I only own about five DVDs. This is one of them.

I am now a Thanksgiving fan, as it is the only holiday that is immune to the retail and greeting card industry, favoring friend and family over materialism.

Yeah, Thanksgiving and New Years were always my favorite holidays, because they could simply be enjoyed without having all the emotional overlay and cheap sentimentality of Christmas. With no radio or TV to throw it in your face however, the Christmas season is actually quite nice.

The only Christmas show I ever owned was "Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol" on VHS. It's a musical cartoon version that overcame my own Scrooge-like instincts. :D