SoCal braces for the worst!

Yes, it is awful. Talked with granddaughter who lives in Redlands, Ca. and she said the air is so full of ash that everyone is wearing masks. No school or work for their area today. She said that San Diego was the worse and I noticed on one of your links, that San Diego had another fire as of this morning.

I was living in San Diego for the 03 fires, and it was terrible. You smelled smoke all day and all night, the sky was a weird muted orange, ash was raining everywhere, and you couldn't go outside without a mask on.

Most of my agents in the county mentioned this time is much, much worse.

I just got off the phone with my sister in Dana Point. She said there is a horseshoe of fire all around her, though they are approximately 20 miles away. The smell of smoke is in the air everywhere, and ash is falling to the ground. There is a layer of ash on everything. She was not concerned about her house, but several friends in the eastern edge of Irvine may have to evacuate soon.

Haven't heard from my friend in northeast San Diego. From the looks of the maps, they may have evacuated.

I was living in San Diego for the 03 fires, and it was terrible. You smelled smoke all day and all night, the sky was a weird muted orange, ash was raining everywhere, and you couldn't go outside without a mask on.

Most of my agents in the county mentioned this time is much, much worse.

We were lucky to be living in Venice as it was near the beach and best of all flat. Only time getting near Malibu vicinity was on joy rides. All areas that are on steep inclines are targets for disaster, not to mention the common mudslides. These people flirt with disaster its part of the risk of living in paradise. I bet if you go to Santa Monica Pier "live cam" you will see the encroaching nemesis.

If it get's that close thats the end of some of the most historical/infamous and expensive properties ever. Pray :(

My wife and I lived in San Diego from 2002-2006. Well, she stayed until June 2007.

We lived through the 2003 firestorm when we lived in Imperial Beach. The news kept me informed and I felt that we were "safe" in our area. The 2003 deal was supposed to be the worst ever.

I remember that there was still some decent order (certainly not the "300,000 evacuees") and maybe a day later after the fires ended, I went to get some gas at a 7-11 off of Palm Avenue. It looked like some sci-fi movie hell. Ashes that covered the place like some unhealthy snow were really unforgettable for me.

But this thing that I see on the TV and the 'net for 2007...it seems like it's 3 or 4x worse! Qualcomm Stadium filling up, Bonita and Spring Valley, not terribly far from where we used to live, work and socialize...were evacuated. Now the winds aren't supposed to die down until tomorrow or Thursday. That's pretty bad.

Sometimes fate saves us. In March 2006, my family offered to let us stay in the "family house" after my grandparents were vacated from it in Florida. I took it though my wife was reluctant. She had a really good paying job as a nurse at some facility.

I told her that something was not right about being in SoCal and she would argue, "So you want something really bad to happen?" I said no, but look at the big picture, money's not everything and neither is that great San Diego weather. She was supposed to move down to Florida but in our stop in Houston there was a snafu. (We both have family there.) She got her Texas reciprocity (finally!) and is working in Houston now. I will join her in a week. So, I'm going back to H-town at last. I remember Tropical Storm Allison of June 2001...a month before our wedding.

Just think, if the stars were aligned a bit differently, my wife and I could be sleeping in our cars inconvenienced by the commercial closures or holed up in Qualcomm or worse (in late 2005 we actually filled out paperwork for a condo in Escondido, a place that's firmly in the path of the fires, but our loan got rejected)...

Edited by worldlyman

I was living in West LA but left just before Northridge event. You get used to the occasional earth movement but the fires are a bit much.

There are very recent pics of Knott's Berry Farm within feet of flames. Irvine is getting it now. :o

Still know people there. Ugh.

Edited by Vertigo58

I haven't been keeping up w/ this story. Do we know how it started? Did it start in one place and spread or were there multiple starting points?

San Diego to OC is a long ways.

From what I have gathered, the Santa Anna winds were especially strong this year (global warming?) and the area unseasonally dry (global warming?).

Two very bad combinations.

To answer your question, not sure how it started, but it blew out of control very quickly.

From what I have gathered, the Santa Anna winds were especially strong this year (global warming?) and the area unseasonally dry (global warming?).

Two very bad combinations.

To answer your question, not sure how it started, but it blew out of control very quickly.

The fire in LA county was started by lightening and the San Diego one by arsonist. It was bizarre seeing the numerous fire tornadoes that start up in the firestorm.

What's a real drag is knowing that you know people in these areas. I used to compliment them on their beautiful homes and proximity to the beach, etc. Oh well. As long as everyone is alive and safe. We never know what kind of disaster will happen around us no matter where we are. Glad I have plenty of photos/video of when all was new and normal.

The flames better not touch Gladstone's Restuarant on the pier :angry2: , I will crumble.

I haven't been keeping up w/ this story. Do we know how it started? Did it start in one place and spread or were there multiple starting points?

San Diego to OC is a long ways.

Multiple starting points. Some downed power lines, some arson, and others unknown. Seven counties are involved. There are fires all the way from Solvang in Santa Barbara County to the Mexican border in San Diego County.

Multiple starting points. Some downed power lines, some arson, and others unknown. Seven counties are involved. There are fires all the way from Solvang in Santa Barbara County to the Mexican border in San Diego County.

yikes. Did yall see the satellite images form NASA? Pretty intense.

Nature hits CA with earth and fire, we get hit with air and water. Hard to say which is preferable.

I wonder if they're going to change some of the names of those upscale subdivisions getting burned, maybe, "Charred Meadows Estates", or, "The Cinders at Flaming Pines"... :P