Someburger ?

I remember a great little hamburger place on South Shepherd, between 59 and Westhimer (I think). The place wasn't much to look at but had the BEST burgers in town. Anyone remember this place? Not exactly sure of the name but it was *some* kind of burger - I think :)

I remember a great little hamburger place on South Shepherd, between 59 and Westhimer (I think). The place wasn't much to look at but had the BEST burgers in town. Anyone remember this place? Not exactly sure of the name but it was *some* kind of burger - I think :)
Forgot to add, it had a walk-up window to place orders. I'm sure this place is long gone by now.

I remember a great little hamburger place on South Shepherd, between 59 and Westhimer (I think). The place wasn't much to look at but had the BEST burgers in town. Anyone remember this place? Not exactly sure of the name but it was *some* kind of burger - I think :)Forgot to add, it had a walk-up window to place orders. I'm sure this place is long gone by now.

There is still a Someburger, with a walk-up window, at the corner of 11th and Studemont in the Heights. It is a small green building with the name in yellow. Other threads indicate it has been around for a long time. Their burgers have a loyal following.

There is still a Someburger, with a walk-up window, at the corner of 11th and Studemont in the Heights. It is a small green building with the name in yellow. Other threads indicate it has been around for a long time. Their burgers have a loyal following.

Thanks Moose, but this place was definitely on Shepherd - same side of the street as shopping center but farther down towards Westheimer.

Yes there was a Someburger on Shepherd; there was also one on W. Gray @ Taft that lasted a little bit longer. At one time, there were several more throughout the area, including one on Airline, I think. There are only 2 left, owned by brothers. The one in beautiful downtown Baytown has a website which gives a brief history of the chain which was started in Austin by a couple of UT students in the 50s.

I love old-time hamburger stands. If you like that style, you'd like Jaime's Dairy Treat in downtown Richmond, US 90A @ FM 762, which also dates from the 50s.

P.S. The Someburger in the Heights makes better burgers than the one in Baytown but the latter offers the luxury of indoor dining.

P.S. # 2 I think the one on Shepherd was between Alabama and Richmond; an upscale furnishings store went in there in the late 80s or early 90s.

I ate at the Someburger in Baytown MANY times growing up, their colors have ALWAYS been green and yellow. Haven't had one of their's in probably 20 years. Glad to hear it is still there but sad to hear that the quality has suffered, or perhaps it is just bruce's opinion that the burgers are better here in Houston ? :D

If you really want a burger that will force you to rest a little after eating, go try Shuttleburger over by Hobby. OMG ! That is good eatin' !

I ate at the Someburger in Baytown MANY times growing up, their colors have ALWAYS been green and yellow. Haven't had one their in probably 20 years. Glad to hear it is still there but sad to hear that the quality has suffered, or perhaps it is just bruce's opinion that the burgers are better here in Houston ? :D

If you really want a burger that will force you to rest a little after eating, go try Shuttleburger over by Hobby. OMG ! That is good eatin' !

Bad case of CRS here, unfortunately. Don't remember the green and yellow but it may very well have been. It would have been really easy to pass this place up though, I do remember that, as it was just a little hole-in-the-wall type place. Sure had great burgers though :-)

Tjones - I've been to Shuttleburger, didn't seem special to me. Is it just the size that's remarkable?

Maybe it depends on who is cooking that day. I have never had a bad burger from there. I have also stopped getting the double meat, it is just ridiculous to eat that much greasy red meat at one time.

• 5 months later...

I'll second my old Lake Jackson homie brucesw and confirm the Someburger that was on Shepherd was on the west side of the street between Richmond and Alabama. ISTR they had sort of a drive-in type layout too. I had some pretty good milkshakes there. Of course, back in the 70s/80s you could stay in business selling "special" hamburgers in the Med Center/Montrose area:

Hamburgers by Gourmet, Zekes, Charlies (I think the Village location was their first), Ruby Red's, Someburger, Lucky Burger, Miller's, and Prince's. There was also a little place on Kelvin between Times and Bolsover that was sort of a time warp but no one in my office can remember the name. :D

All of these predate Goode Co. and Beck's Prime. Charlies, Miller's and Prince's are still hanging on in other locations. Lucky Burger is still on the corner of Richmond and Mandell, which is amazing, because it looked dead when I moved to Houston in 1980.

There was also a little place on Kelvin between Times and Bolsover that was sort of a time warp but no one in my office can remember the name. :D

Burgerville #2. I always wondered where Burgerville #1 was, but never found out. Man, I miss that place.

Lucky Burger is still on the corner of Richmond and Mandell, which is amazing, because it looked dead when I moved to Houston in 1980.

My favorite Lucky Burger story: when Sam Peckinpah visited Houston to speak at a film screening at the Rice Media Center, a friend who worked at the Media Center got tasked with picking him up at the airport, taking him out for a bite to eat, and so forth. So where did he take Bloody Sam? Yep, to the Lucky Burger. Apparently his hosts in the film department were fairly mortified when they found out, but I don't think Peckinpah had any complaints.

Lol I have a friend who swears by Lucky Burger. I have never brought myself to go there, but there may be something to it. It certainly has managed to hang around a long time, so there must be a lot of people who feel that way.

It's OK, but nothing great. The best part are the mascots that look disturbingly like Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I like Someburger better.

we used to live a couple blocks from lucky burger. it had a sign that said "best asian burger fusion." that sign made me never step in the door. now, i live a couple blocks from someburger. by far the best burgers going. the thing i love about someburger is no matter what time of day it is, if they are open there is a line. it may only be 2 people, but there are always, always people there.

we used to live a couple blocks from lucky burger. it had a sign that said "best asian burger fusion." that sign made me never step in the door.

I believe the owners are Korean. It's been quite a while since I've been there (like you, we used to live a lot closer to it than we do now), but I don't remember ever eating anything there besides the basic cheeseburger, and it was comparable to Someburger's. They did have a "jumbo shrimp plate" that they liked to tout as having the biggest (butterflied and fried) jumbo shrimp in town.

Used to hit Someburger many a time for lunch. Be sure to ask the owner how they came up with the name. Funny story.

The still make those those delicious hot fries too!

It's funny when you sit in the back under the tree how the birds bug the hell out you for a morsel or two. They practically sit on your toes as you tease them with leftovers (if any) . Its over head where they get revenge. :o:lol:

Archived