Thorns On Houston's Flower Row

musicman

Back in the day, 1989 and 1990, there were roughly a dozen bustling flower shops on Fannin, stretching north from Bissonnet to U.S. 59. Since then the number of shops has shrunk to five, and those are starting to look a little like spindly, untended plants themselves.

Politicians, urban planners and real-estate experts say the land in Midtown has become so expensive that so-called "interim'' businesses such as flower shops, car washes and parking lots can't survive for long. The theory is landowners can't afford the rising property taxes; those with leases can't handle soaring rents.

Another complication is MetroRail, which has stripped the shops of valuable parking and scared customers who are afraid to cross the tracks. Also, there's been a quantum leap in the number of flower outlets all over the city. Those who want posies need look no further than their neighborhood grocery or strip shopping center.

full article

Edited by musicman

Whenever I drive by I think about how strange it is that there are 5 flower stores on Fannin, some of them open 24 hours. Metro or not, I can't understand how that many flower stores can survive on the few blocks. It's almost like having 2 Starbucks right across the street from each other.

The idea of people being scared to cross the Metro tracks seems pretty dumb to me. If that were the case, people would stop going to Hermann Park the Museum of Fine Arts and the Medical Center too.

Even though I think it's weird, I always thought that was kind of a cool quirky thing about Houston, and I hope they can survive.

But they woke up one lucky day several years ago to find men in suits asking to buy their property. They made a fortune, according to the rumor up and down Flower Row. True or not, the story makes it easier for those left in business to endure Valentine's Day, which is chaos; Mother's Day, which also is chaos; and every Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. And Easter.

North across Palm, there's the Nehemiah Center, which offers assistance to children of all ages, and a muddy lot that used to be a flower shop. Now it's the footprint for Casa Di Verona, a planned 20-unit midrise. The cheaper units are expected to go for about $250,000.

I think this is the part that is more relevent. SOME people have a tendency to only highlight that the MetroRail is the Root of all evil when it comes to businesses disappearing from flower row.

So are you also going to blame the Rail for disappearing empty lots in midtown since the numbers have dwindled since the Mid-90's?

Rumor isn't the issue, but the fact that several lots have already been opened, is that a rumor as well? or have you been by recently?

not sure what a lot being opened means...but i have seen dirt turned for the 20-plex they are building. i personally have seen more empty lots (and abandoned businesses) along main (in midtown) since the mid 90's. i can think of the HCC garage and CVS that have been built along the rail since the mid 90's. what new construction can you think of?

the article was simply describing the flower owner's opinion. as usual we can all agree to disagree.

Edited by musicman

not sure what a lot being opened means...but i have seen dirt turned for the 20-plex they are building. i personally have seen more empty lots (and abandoned businesses) along main (in midtown) since the mid 90's. i can think of the HCC garage and CVS that have been built along the rail since the mid 90's

Yeah, it had to be the rail that did that, huh? Let's see, land in the mid 90s was going for $2 a square foot in Midtown. Now, it is going for upwards of $50. I'm sure it is unlikely that landowners would clear their lots of dilapidated buildings to improve their chances of selling for redevelopment.

Come on, music. You're beating around the bush. Why don't you come out and say it? METRO turned Midtown into a ghetto. It's not that hard to say. The fact that rising land prices ran the flower shops out should not keep you from saying what you really want to say. The fact that skyrocketing land prices is the opposite of ghettofication should not get in your way. It is a new day, and if you want to blame the rail, then by god, you should just jump up and SHOUT it!

Come on, music. You're beating around the bush. Why don't you come out and say it? METRO turned Midtown into a ghetto.

midtown was ghetto before...i don't think it went ghetto. someone sees dirt turned on one lot and all of a sudden midtown's revitalized. :blink:

Edited by musicman

• 6 months later...

So many shops have existed in a central locale because loyal customers had their favorite shops. This is much like how all of the fish markets thrive in Seabrook. You can go to one the shops, buy flowers and make your own arrangements for so much less than a florist or store-bought.

If they are forced to relocate, I hope they stay in close proximity to one another. I think it's cool to have options on price and freshness.

Frankel's Costumes moved to the east side from this location several years ago. It's inevitable that new construction will prevail. Now, it we could get Sears to do something with that buttugly store at Wheeler...

I hit the place frequently and I'm tellin' ya I love the service. I tell people to hit the place for emergency flowers late at night.

If they do relocate, it would hope they would stay a 24hr place. :(

Now there's an idea. They could build one right next to an adult 24 hour newstand and make $. New concept...watch peep show, then buy a floral arrangement on the way out? you get the credit ricco! lol

We used to hit these shops in the wee hours. It's fun to browse all the coolers.

Those worried should get thir butts down and buy some flowers. Remember Lee Brown as going to designate this a Flower District?

I know. Who's Lee Brown.

I think I'll get flowers at Rosewood tomorrow.

So many shops have existed in a central locale because loyal customers had their favorite shops. This is much like how all of the fish markets thrive in Seabrook. You can go to one the shops, buy flowers and make your own arrangements for so much less than a florist or store-bought.

If they are forced to relocate, I hope they stay in close proximity to one another. I think it's cool to have options on price and freshness.

Frankel's Costumes moved to the east side from this location several years ago. It's inevitable that new construction will prevail. Now, it we could get Sears to do something with that buttugly store at Wheeler...

Having watched that area for many years, especially the neighborhood behind Southern Imports & Frankel's, (one house has a 3rd story sunroom), I think it is a combination of land value increases (per people moving from suburbs, wanting to be closer in, (Midtown development), and rail-line changes, I can see both sides. (It's hard to know sometimes when to go or not with that "quiet" train). I like that "ugly"

Sears store, had simple, nice art deco details. Hope it doesn't leave us, like everything else. In tired of reading "Demolished" on everything.

Too bad that small theater was torn down (it was by Sears).

It's typical in this town, nothing ever stays the same.

I like that "ugly" Sears store, had simple, nice art deco details.

The inside is fine, but could use some sprucing up. Come on, the outside metal siding needs some paint or something. I remember when I commuted by rail, people would comment "Is that still open?" It looks shuttered.

The inside is fine, but could use some sprucing up. Come on, the outside metal siding needs some paint or something. I remember when I commuted by rail, people would comment "Is that still open?" It looks shuttered.

Guess I have the 1940's b/w image in my mind still. Saw a nice pic of it the other day, in it's heyday, with detail work. When I went by there after the book signing, it was dark. I'm very "romantic" in my observations, will always see the glass as half full. :D "They", the bulldozers better not touch the (so-called) speakeasy a block away.

One of the places that moved out during rail construction is 24-Hour Roses. They transplanted to Durham just south of the North Loop. They seem to be doing well. (A little too well on Valentines Day when I nearly threw a tantrum there...damn line cutters). I like them alot, though. I've purchased business-related bouquet delivered on a Sunday. I also get VD flowers, BD flowers, and day-ya-wore-that-white-dress-and-I-wore-a-morning-suit flowers there.

• 5 months later...
Back in the day, 1989 and 1990, there were roughly a dozen bustling flower shops on Fannin, stretching north from Bissonnet to U.S. 59. Since then the number of shops has shrunk to five, and those are starting to look a little like spindly, untended plants themselves.

Politicians, urban planners and real-estate experts say the land in Midtown has become so expensive that so-called "interim'' businesses such as flower shops, car washes and parking lots can't survive for long. The theory is landowners can't afford the rising property taxes; those with leases can't handle soaring rents.

Another complication is MetroRail, which has stripped the shops of valuable parking and scared customers who are afraid to cross the tracks. Also, there's been a quantum leap in the number of flower outlets all over the city. Those who want posies need look no further than their neighborhood grocery or strip shopping center.

full article

Those florists shops are probably located in the Midtown/medical center area because Westmoreland was originally occupied by florists gardens. Those shop locations have most likely been there a very long time, are slowly disappearing. :(

• The title was changed to Thorns On Houston's Flower Row