Weekend Today Names Houston Hot Fall Travel Destination

Hello everyone,"Weekend Today" has named Houston as a top travel destination for this fall!

NBC News Anchor Lester Holt was in town the past few days gathering video for the story that wil air this Sunday. He was on Channel 2's morning show today to promote the story.

Here's the video from that: http://www.click2houston.com/video/14258102/detail.html

What do you think makes Houston a top travel destination this fall?

Edited by scannergirl

Thanks for letting us know.

Here's some more information from the Business Journal:

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...01/daily32.html

Weekend anchorman Lester Holt and a crew from the "Today Show" were in town Wednesday filming Houston for the show's "Cities They Love" segment.

Houston will be the first city to air in the segment, which will debut on Oct. 7, according to the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau.

"Cities They Love" features off-the-beaten-path attractions.

Holt interviewed Thomas Jones, chairman of the CVB, in a canoe on Buffalo Bayou, and visited the Beer Can House.

Prior to the shoot, Holt interviewed native Houstonian and country singer Clint Black, who suggested a visit to Goode Co. BBQ, Pappasito's, the ice rink at The Galleria and the Mucky Duck for great live music. The CVB said the "Today Show" crew also went to those destinations and others.

The show will also air segments later on Chicago, Minneapolis and Boston

The weather probably has something to do with the story being done now rather than in July but maybe the reporter just had a craving for bbq, Tex-Mex and Chicken Fried Steak, which they can't get in NY, so he said 'Let's do a story about Houston.'

Other than covering hard news stories the NYTimes does features on Houston 2 or 3 times a year, some by a stringer out of Dallas, and they're usually very positive. My favorite one a couple of years ago started out 'Forget what you've heard about Houston being the fattest city in America, the reason is the food's so good.' That was by a NY reporter. Then he reported on the original Ninfa's, Otto's and the like, good places but not the best we have to offer.

Hello everyone,"Weekend Today" has named Houston as a top travel destination for this fall!

NBC News Anchor Lester Holt was in town the past few days gathering video for the story that wil air this Sunday. He was on Channel 2's morning show today to promote the story.

Here's the video from that: http://www.click2houston.com/video/14258102/detail.html

What do you think makes Houston a top travel destination this fall?

Paying off an editor is what makes Houston a top travel destination in the fall.

Yes, the fall is a good time to be in Houston, but it is even better to be elsewhere. If it were not for the jobs, there would be no good reason to live in or visit Houston.

mms://streaming.vmsnews.com/media/INSIGHT/20071003-558973-915715F5-5B49-404B-AFCA-FD942E7AC41C.wsx

This is a video of Lester Holt on channel two talking about it. I think her name is Lauren Freedman...she and Lester were talking how Minneapolis downtown is all skywalks b/c people don't want to walk outside in the winter b/c it's so cold. Just like here except flip the seasons.

This is cool and I am one of those poor, misguided souls who actually likes living here. I like my standard of living. I like the urban attractions. The pace suits me. I like having some money left over after everything is paid to travel on, too (I'm not delusional -- I know there are places that are more fun to visit).

One point, however -- is anyone else tired of these reports trotting out the beer can house? It is a little embarassing that after all these years, we can't seem to come up with something else that grabs out-of-towners' attention. If I were a travel editor for a major out-of-town paper that ran stories about Houston every few years, I'd be a little discouraged to come back and see the same old beer can house being touted as a must-see attraction.

I get it. It and the Orange Show are our Watts Tower. We just need more, in my opinion, to keep the presses rolling.

me too. i set the alarm to be up in time. it wasn't that great.

I also set my alarm to watch that like a nerd. It wasn't that good, they really didn't show anything. And when the showed shopping the just showed the Galleria, when they could have showed all of uptown and stuff like Highland Village and Rice Village also. And I did here him miss pronounce Papasitos as Pap-asitos

• 1 month later...
THis is the video that should have been shown...

Welcome to HAIF, Sargento (like the cheese?).

Just FYI: You can embed YouTube videos on HAIF using the "Insert Special Item" drop-down box.

Example:

If anyone has any suggestions for other embedded content formats, let me know.