Hurricane Humberto

Porchman

<br />You have got to be kidding me.<br /><br />What a slip, wish I saw.<br /><br />But, they ALWAYS stick reporters out in the middle of a storm! That is nothing new!<br />

it wasn't a slip up, the weather man said it because wayne was totally exposed and on the very beach the was going to get hit.

i thought i'd hit the race thing before tge dip switch did.

I was disgusted with the local media coverage of this and how they fear mongered the whole thing well after the NWS said it would not impact the Houston metro area aside from isolated showers. At about 7pm the weather channel repeatedly said only SE parts of Houston between the 45 & 610 interchange and Galveston would get heavy rain. Downtown and everything west had already experienced a wind shift coming from the north indicating the circulation was already to the east of the city and there was a ZERO chance of tropical storm/hurricane conditions to hit those areas.

Despite this being known as early as 7pm Houston time the local media fear mongered on the 9 and 10 pm news like crazy. They kept showing the OEM offices and transtar center at emergency alter stage and were just shy of saying we were on defcon 5 levels of emergency in metro Houston. The most hillarious part of the news today was the 5 am news on ABC 13 when Wayne Dolcefeno was crystal beach saying power was knocked out for the area while standing in front of a building with 3 light bulbs functioning on it.

Gawd we have complete imbeciles running our news outlets.

After showing Wayne Dolcefino blowing in the wind this morning, Art Rascon assured the viewing audience that "Wayne is OK".....as if ANY of the viewing audience cared. Later, after Tim Heller said another tropical depression was in the Atlantic, Melanie Lawson exclaimed, "ANOTHER tropical depression! Wow!"

This your first week in Houston, Melanie? <_<

BTW, Humberto apparently has set a record for the fastest transformation into a hurricane on record, growing from 35 mph winds at 10 am to 85 mph at 2 am this morning.

I recommend watching the third-stringers in windbreakers with the sound off. Some tool last night on 11 in a blue windbreaker, that looked duct-taped to his body, was waving around a high-powered flashlight over the surf, I guess attempting to show us the dangerous water. Not knowing, apparently, that the big light on the camera made the water visible to us viewers at home. He looked like a crazy person.

But the over-reaction award goes to UH central campus, for closing campus until noon today, having made too hasty a decision yesterday afternoon.

Props to UH for doing so. Last night it was heading this way - do you know what happened to the UH campus when TS Allison hit? The entire campus was underwater. They have a lot of old buildings with underground floors and a tunnel system - all were underwater. The school was a disaster place.

There is no way to tell. Yes, we now know that the storm turned East and missed us. But, it just as easily could of turned West - putting Houston on the dirty East side of the storm. Allison did that and then parked itself and dumped 36" of rain in some spots.

It doesn't hurt anything to have some sort of a reaction.

I know what happened to UH during Allison--and this was a premature call, period. They should have called off the night classes (as they did) and used their emergency management system to call off today's classes when we had a more certain forecast--not at 3 yesterday afternoon. By about 7 pm it was known that this storm was not coming our way. Were this decision made at a private, for-profit organization, someone would have lost their job over it. This type of poor decision-making speaks volumes about why UH remains a second-tier school, IMO.

Were this decision made at a private, for-profit organization, someone would have lost their job over it. This type of poor decision-making speaks volumes about why UH remains a second-tier school, IMO.

My brother would be surprised to hear this. When Hurricane Dean was still in the Atlantic, Exxon asked him if he would relocate to Dallas for the duration of the storm....a WEEK before projected landfall. Luckily, the projections showed it heading south far enough in advance that he did not have to go.

UH making the call at 3 pm....9 hours before projected landfall doesn't sound like jumping the gun to me.

No one in Houston has any kind of experience with the effects of a storm like Humberto the Huge. A few more hours over water and it could've been a category 3 or 4 hurricane, because it was tiny, and it takes very little energy to get it to spin that fast.

Here's an interesting illustration showing the range of cyclone sizes:

Typhoonsizes.jpg

Guess which one almost leveled an entire city with its winds.

No one in Houston has any kind of experience with the effects of a storm like Humberto the Huge. A few more hours over water and it could've been a category 3 or 4 hurricane, because it was tiny, and it takes very little energy to get it to spin that fast.

Here's an interesting illustration showing the range of cyclone sizes:

Typhoonsizes.jpg

Guess which one almost leveled an entire city with its winds.

Speaking of typhoon sizes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Longwang

The most hillarious part of the news today was the 5 am news on ABC 13 when Wayne Dolcefeno was crystal beach saying power was knocked out for the area while standing in front of a building with 3 light bulbs functioning on it.

Sounds like a diesel powered generator may have been in use.

Later, after Tim Heller said another tropical depression was in the Atlantic, Melanie Lawson exclaimed, "ANOTHER tropical depression! Wow!"

This your first week in Houston, Melanie? <_<

It's funny how cynical some HAIFers get when it comes to stuff like that. "What if Dave Ward really didn't mean it when he used to say "thank you, Marvin"? Has the news world gone mad?" :rolleyes:

I heard UHD did the same thing, but of course Rice stayed open (they always do).

UHD didn't stay closed til' noon like central campus. The downtown campus was closed down at 7pm on Wednesday with intentions to make a decision at 5am Thursday on whether to stay closed, open after 12pm, or open that morning at the normal time. Of course, they decided to open up at the normal time. I'm not sure why the central campus didn't follow downtown's steps.

It has all the NOAA guys scratching their heads. They haven't figured out how this one "BLEW UP" like it did

Obviously they haven't heard of warmer water causing storms to "blow up" faster than normal. Our tax dollars at work! :wacko:

Archived