Fox Sports Broadcast Center In The Woodlands

mrfootball

New broadcast facility built to withstand extreme weather - 8/31/2007

(The Woodlands) - The new Fox Sports Broadcast Center in The Woodlands was designed to comply with the stringent hurricane-resistant standards set forth in the building code of Florida's Miami-Dade County. The 184,000-square-foot two-story, precast concrete building is located on a 30-acre greenfield site, of which 16 acres are currently developed, 27 miles north of downtown Houston. The remainder of the site is available for future expansion. Substantial completion of the Fox Sports Broadcast Center is expected in October, and the building's broadcast operations will be complete and on-air by early 2008. The facility will serve as the cable sports operations center for Fox Networks Group. The facility's major components are its broadcast rooms, broadcast equipment and transmission rooms, network control rooms, tape vaults and media management center. An adjacent "antennae yard" features seven, nine-meter transmit dishes and 21 receive dishes. A "mission-critical" central plant with robust power and HVAC systems will allow the facility to operate uninterrupted in the event of a power failure. The new facility in The Woodlands will replace Houston's operations, which are located in a leased metal building built in 1967. The new facility will have a 24-hour attended gated entrance and other on-site security personnel. The facility will employ approximately 500 people. Many of the current 300-plus employees already have made tentative plans to move into the local area, and Fox estimates hiring another 100 to 200 people from the surrounding area rather than going out-of-state. Designers have integrated enough generator capacity and onsite fuel to carry the building for six days without utility power. Three 2,000-kilowatt generators and two 30,000-gallon underground fuel tanks are part of this beefed-up emergency power system.

[McGraw Hill Construction]

The new facility in The Woodlands will replace Houston's operations, which are located in a leased metal building built in 1967.

[McGraw Hill Construction]

I take it this one will replace the one off Gulfton. I used to work there for a year or two about 7 years ago. Glad to see they're moving out of that aging shed.

I'd hate to see this facility leave the Houston area, but I can understand their needs and the ability to remain on air as well as the ability to expand. The current facility is quite small and surprised that it stayed there as long as it has. I guess the money really started coming in until relatively recently.

I'd hate to see this facility leave the Houston area, but I can understand their needs and the ability to remain on air as well as the ability to expand. The current facility is quite small and surprised that it stayed there as long as it has. I guess the money really started coming in until relatively recently.

Fox Sports is NOT leaving Greater Houston. The Woodlands is in the northern suburbs in Montgomery County, which is north of downtown, just like Galveston County is to the southeast, Fort Bend County is to the southwest, and Waller County (which is bound to be the next "boom county") to the far west past all the disappearing pasture around Katy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Fox Sports Broadcast Center In The Woodlands

Archived