Here Comes METRO

Tiko

If you have to build a commuter rail through the Heights this could be one of the best locations because it's so close to I-10 anyways, that is allready a noisy neighborhood. I agree with Vicman, lets find a way to do both the rail and the bike trails.

Be careful what you wish for guys, you just might get it all.

Well, if the idea is practical, let's tell METRO :)

If you have to build a commuter rail through the Heights this could be one of the best locations because it's so close to I-10 anyways, that is allready a noisy neighborhood. I agree with Vicman, lets find a way to do both the rail and the bike trails.

Be careful what you wish for guys, you just might get it all.

It seems that a CRT to LRT intermodal with two LRT (or BRT) routes

I don't know enough about the proposal and its alternatives yet to say whether I'm for or against it. I'm not going to say I'm against it immediately just because I live in one of the neighborhoods that would be impacted. But I will say that where the ROW runs through the center of Houston Heights (between Harvard and Studewood) is largely a quiet residential area encompassing both some of the oldest homes and nicest new constructions in the Heights. It isn't noisy, plagued by drunks, or used for non-resident parking. (With the possible exception of the two blocks closest to the bars on White Oak east of Oxford - the 500 blocks of Frazier and Granberry. I don't know whether they have problems, but I know people do sometimes park there for Onion Creek or Fitzgerald's.)

I'll walk the ROW this weekend and take some photos to post.

Attached is a property value map ($/sqft) showing the ROW (the green line) and, for orientation, Onion Creek (the green dot).

post-2051-1187966346.jpg

Board member Rafael Ortega said news that Metro is interested in the route had "created some concern in the community."

This shows that they know what they'd be up against if they tried, and after the Richmond rumble, obviously aren't up for the fight. I bet they bypass the Heights north of I-10 completely if they ever run commuter rail nearby.

Board member Rafael Ortega said news that Metro is interested in the route had "created some concern in the community."

This shows that they know what they'd be up against if they tried, and after the Richmond rumble, obviously aren't up for the fight. I bet they bypass the Heights north of I-10 completely if they ever run commuter rail nearby.

I hadn't even noticed the article Marty posted was a new article:

The Metropolitan Transit Authority shelved a planned vote Thursday to buy a former freight rail bed for commuter rail, after learning

If it were a light rail line, it might be reasonable. It seems like the city ought to build Commuter rail down 290, Hwy 3, Westpark, etc. but terminate them at the Loop and have light rail service downtown.

White Oak Bayou runs pretty directly from 290 to downtown. I will present my high-speed hovercraft solution at the next Metro meeting.

Wholly carp! Where have I been for 2 days?!

Metro is considering putting another freight train down the middle of the Heights?! Are they friggin kidding ?! They didn't know the COH was already considering a Hike and Bike trail.. (for the past 11 years btw) ?!!?!? :angry2:

They're going to rip up people's driveways and stick a freakin freight train down their back yard?! I have no (suitable for work) words..

So apparently it would be okay for METRO to get the right of way through here, but to put a hike and bike through here takes years and years of figguring out who actually owns the land?

Jackass LEE and Adrian Garcia better get off their collective duffs and say in no way in hell is this going to happen. The Heights is just now being renewed to a livable state. Finally getting the renewal it needed for so many years? If Metro were so concerned about sticking a freight train down someone's throat, why didn't they implement it with the I10 expansion?

Un-farkin-believable.. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

edit: You could almost sell me on light rail here, ALMOST.. But if you're not going to stick it down Richmond or Westheimer, you (Metro) sure as hell aren't going to put it though the heights.

Metro is considering putting another freight train down the middle of the Heights?! Are they friggin kidding ?! They didn't know the COH was already considering a Hike and Bike trail.. (for the past 11 years btw) ?!!?!? :angry2:

Zippy: See Marty's posted link Chron above, then have a drink. Metro backed off when they got an earful of concern. We just continued to ponder about serving all communities in the area with viable, sensitive transportation solutions. :)

They're going to rip up people's driveways and stick a freakin freight train down their back yard?! I have no (suitable for work) words..

So apparently it would be okay for METRO to get the right of way through here, but to put a hike and bike through here takes years and years of figguring out who actually owns the land?

Jackass LEE and Adrian Garcia better get off their collective duffs and say in no way in hell is this going to happen. The Heights is just now being renewed to a livable state. Finally getting the renewal it needed for so many years? If Metro were so concerned about sticking a freight train down someone's throat, why didn't they implement it with the I10 expansion?

Un-farkin-believable.. :angry2::angry2::angry2:

edit: You could almost sell me on light rail here, ALMOST.. But if you're not going to stick it down Richmond or Westheimer, you (Metro) sure as hell aren't going to put it though the heights.

Chill out. A commuter train is not like a freigh train. It isn't as loud AT ALL. It is a little louder than a LRT train though.

Zippy: See Marty's posted link Chron above, then have a drink. Metro backed off when they got an earful of concern. We just continued to ponder about serving all communities in the area with viable, sensitive transportation solutions. :)

with a statement like Metro staff will discuss the proposal with Houston officials before a vote is rescheduled doesn't sound like METRO has backed off completely.

After reading this thread for awhile and taking some time to contemplate it there are a number of things that do concern me.

If it was "heavy Rail", it would depend on the speed it goes by and I would expect a stop would STILL have to be put on there.

I think the noise of this massive machine would definitely be a concern.

It would be at this point where I think it would be feasible for this line to go underground with a stop in the heights. Flooding isn't an issue there (they're called "The Heights" for a reason).

The only downside to having a stop here is that densification is highly possible as the property values would rise, so perhaps it would be prudent to let the Heights residence with a different form of transit, either light rail or a trolly to and from Downtown.

I live down the street in both directions by UP rail and every once in a while I here it. The noise is not that bad because we dont here it very often. Houston is growing why not add rail that will help serve us? Every time Metro wants to add and expand the rail line there is so much opposition. Whats the point for having rail if no know wants to see it expand?

I live down the street in both directions by UP rail and every once in a while I here it. The noise is not that bad because we dont here it very often. Houston is growing why not add rail that will help serve us? Every time Metro wants to add and expand the rail line there is so much opposition. Whats the point for having rail if no know wants to see it expand?

It's not that there is so much opposition... it's that people only speak out when they are against something. Therefore, the media covers that angle since that is where the story is, happy people don't make good news. It's not very often you will see people rallying for something they are in support of. If there is a new school or hospital being built for a community, there usually isn't daily demonstrations of people yelling and hold signs, "Yes, build that school!" :D That's why it's important for all of those who support rail and other urban issues (any issue for that matter) to voice their support to elected officials, media outlets, etc so that the true sentiment of the people will be reflected in both the media and the mind of politicians worried about getting re-elected. Usually "opposition" boils down to the same, predictable handful of people very vocally complaining and claiming to reflect the majority though they usually in fact do not.

Guess I'm feeling extra civic tonight... :)

It's not that there is so much opposition... it's that people only speak out when they are against something. Therefore, the media covers that angle since that is where the story is, happy people don't make good news. It's not very often you will see people rallying for something they are in support of. If there is a new school or hospital being built for a community, there usually isn't daily demonstrations of people yelling and hold signs, "Yes, build that school!" :D That's why it's important for all of those who support rail and other urban issues (any issue for that matter) to voice their support to elected officials, media outlets, etc so that the true sentiment of the people will be reflected in both the media and the mind of politicians worried about getting re-elected. Usually "opposition" boils down to the same, predictable handful of people very vocally complaining and claiming to reflect the majority though they usually in fact do not.

Guess I'm feeling extra civic tonight... :)

I understand where you're coming from. It's akin to the lone dissenter making such a big stink that it people overlook the people that ARE supporting it and you're correct.

While I'm FOR the expansion of the rail system, it's just a matter of doing it in a proper way. What I'd like to know the speeds and design of this thing. I know the Heights (and I who don't even live there) wouldn't want to see a 4 or 5 car train going by at 40+ MPH. There are plenty of things to look at as well as safety and environmental concerns; a commuter train is a different animal from a LRT.

I understand where you're coming from. It's akin to the lone dissenter making such a big stink that it people overlook the people that ARE supporting it and you're correct.

While I'm FOR the expansion of the rail system, it's just a matter of doing it in a proper way. What I'd like to know the speeds and design of this thing. I know the Heights (and I who don't even live there) wouldn't want to see a 4 or 5 car train going by at 40+ MPH. There are plenty of things to look at as well as safety and environmental concerns; a commuter train is a different animal from a LRT.

Agreed. I was speaking just generally, and especially to rail I Houston. Any line through the heights should be looked at closely to make sure it's done right, but unfortunately there are always going to be those who are unhappy about it and complain no matter how well it's done.

• 2 months later...

I just moved here in July but already I have learned about the history of the Heights as the original suburbs of Houston -- the WHOLE Heights had streetcars going down about every other street so that people could easily commute to downtown. That was the original beauty of living so close to downtown and the beauty of the design of the neighborhood. Easy commuting eliminating the need for individual cars clogging roads. So now that time has passed and there aren't any more running rails it just seems sad that they were put out of commission and that the area didn't hold on dearly to some of the the mass transit infrastructure through the decades. The Heights should happily welcome a light rail or commuter rail or whatever.

I just moved here in July but already I have learned about the history of the Heights as the original suburbs of Houston -- the WHOLE Heights had streetcars going down about every other street so that people could easily commute to downtown.

Welcome to the Heights!

I'm not sure it's correct that there were streetcars going down many different streets in the Heights. In the Houston Heights, I think there was just the one line that went up Heights Blvd., did a turn-around loop at 17th, 19th, and Ashland (the neighborhood's downtown area), and then came back down Heights Blvd. (My understanding is that even what I used to think were the remains of a streetcar line on Nicholson are actually the remains of a railroad spur.) Did your research show any lines other than the Heights Blvd. line?

And I'm guessing your comment that the Heights should happily welcome a commuter line assumed one or more stops in the Heights. I don't think that was the proposal.

Theres a really cool historical centennial flyer being mailed out to some Heights residents talking about the history of the Woodland Heights. A map in the flyer shows (in addition to the Heights Blvd one) an old rail line used to head up Houston Ave as well. It also had a really cool pic from where White Oak bayou was once dammed up into a lake for boating, swimming, etc. Quite a fascinating flyer. For those that want a copy go to the free info table at the Heights Public Library...they had several when I was there on Saturday.

• The title was changed to Here Comes METRO

Archived