Downtown CBD / Areas Outside Of Uptown

I agree with Dallasboi. Any thread discussing Dallas' CBD or uptown Dallas deserves a big YAWN. This is why I thought I should fill it with photos of Houston. Just so people aren't bored off their ass looking at those little, boring, insignificant 'buildings' in uptown Dallas or those tacky monstrosities in downtown Dallass .

We know you both love and are jealous of Houston, Dallasboi. What a confused state of being you must exist in.

Edited by Coaster
  • Like 2

I don't understand how those photos have anything to do with downtown Dallas.

Back on topic... here are some things from the past month relating to development, with only a few new cranes:

- Main Street Garden opened November 13th.

- The plan for Belo Garden, another downtown park on Main Street, was approved this week.

- There are 2 tower cranes up for the Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel.

- The Perot Museum of Nature and Science (in Victory Park) broke ground November 18th.

- On November 23rd Central Dallas Community Development Corporation announced their architect selection for the Re:Vision Dallas project, which will turn a parking lot into the world's first truly sustainable city block.

- Reunion arena is no more.

- First Baptist Church Dallas revealed their new campus development program, which includes demolition of historic structures, restoration of the original church and construction of a new 1.5 million square feet, LEED certified 3,000-seat worship center and six-floor education building.

- The downtown YMCA (now the T. Boone Pickens YMCA) was rededicated after a $5 million renovation.

- Downtown Dallas 360, the new comprehensive area plan for the central city, has started their research phase.

- And of course, the AT&T Performing Arts Center opened, and construction is being made on The Park (covering Woodall Rodgers Freeway).

Edited by njjeppson
  • Like 1

I don't understand how those photos have anything to do with downtown Dallas.

Back on topic... here are some things from the past month relating to development, with only a few new cranes:

- Main Street Garden opened November 13th.

- The plan for Belo Garden, another downtown park on Main Street, was approved this week.

- There are 2 tower cranes up for the Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel.

- The Perot Museum of Nature and Science (in Victory Park) broke ground November 18th.

- On November 23rd Central Dallas Community Development Corporation announced their architect selection for the Re:Vision Dallas project, which will turn a parking lot into the world's first truly sustainable city block.

- Reunion arena is no more.

- First Baptist Church Dallas revealed their new campus development program, which includes demolition of historic structures, restoration of the original church and construction of a new 1.5 million square feet, LEED certified 3,000-seat worship center and six-floor education building.

- The downtown YMCA (now the T. Boone Pickens YMCA) was rededicated after a $5 million renovation.

- Downtown Dallas 360, the new comprehensive area plan for the central city, has started their research phase.

- And of course, the AT&T Performing Arts Center opened, and construction is being made on The Park (covering Woodall Rodgers Freeway).

Not to pick on you njeppeson, especially considering that you are one of the few constructive posters on Dallas area topics, but it looks like, of the 10 'projects' you've listed, 4 are plans or talk, 1 is a demo, 1 is a park, and 1 is a rather mundane renovation. It appears that there are 2 actual construction projects, in addition to a recently completed one. But, hey, in this climate, that's better than nothing. ;)

• Like 3

I agree with Dallasboi. Any thread discussing Dallas' CBD or uptown Dallas deserves a big YAWN. This is why I thought I should fill it with photos of Houston. Just so people aren't bored off their ass looking at those little, boring, insignificant 'buildings' in uptown Dallas or those tacky monstrosities in downtown Dallass .

We know you both love and are jealous of Houston, Dallasboi. What a confused state of being you must exist in.

U are right about me liking Houston...I love Houston.......But I also see how houston is not all it cracked up to be or how u houstonians want people to see houston...It is rather BIG....and for the most part it is bland.......lets not talk about monstrosities...the buildings in DTHouston are indeed tall......but overall its nothing in DTH thats not screaming "Bland".....I can say that my favorite buildings in the world are in Houston(enron Towers) but that is not enuff to create the image you guys want everybody to have.....Jealous?...I wouldnt say that.i feel like dallas and houston basically offer the same stuff accept dallas always seems to do everything a tad bit better....Houston is the 4th largest city in the u.s...and Dallas which is the 9th largest out bids houston on everything...why is that?Because while houston is almost double dallas in size and poulation it shows that the bulk of the bulkiness of houston is generic uninspiring uncontrolled fill-in that gives it a bigger busier feel with no substinance..In dallas its much smaller..less congested alot cleaner and the developments give you a way better since of place...development in Dallas always seems relevent to the surroundings to where it is placed...in hosuston everything seems randomly placed and badly situated......ugh!!!!..I know houston can do better...How can the ninth u.s city be giving Houston this much run for the money.....Step it up Houston....You guys need to be blowing us out of the water up herer in lil ole Dallas.... ;):rolleyes:

Not to pick on you njeppeson, especially considering that you are one of the few constructive posters on Dallas area topics, but it looks like, of the 10 'projects' you've listed, 4 are plans or talk, 1 is a demo, 1 is a park, and 1 is a rather mundane renovation. It appears that there are 2 actual construction projects, in addition to a recently completed one. But, hey, in this climate, that's better than nothing. ;)

I agree that some of those projects I listed are just announcements and renovations, but I wanted to throw them out there for updates. Compared to a lot of areas in Dallas (and around the country), downtown is doing OK and the area hasn't been completely abandoned by developers. The City is trying to keep recent momentum going, despite the setbacks, to hopefully produce a more vibrant, livable downtown. The sum of all of these various renovations and "small" projects is greater than one or two new buildings that contribute nothing to the urban environment. The new Main Street Garden has changed the east end of downtown overnight, bringing families and downtown residents to an area that was previously desolate. Much like Discovery Green has done for downtown Houston, these new parks are going to change the perception of downtown Dallas.

Downtown is headed in the right direction and we've come a long way in just the past few years. But there are still a lot of transit gaps and underutilized structures in the business district. The new Downtown Dallas 360 Plan is going to merge all previous area plans into one strategic map for development. It includes connecting the disjointed districts with streetcars and sustainable development; creating affordable urban housing options; and expanding and promoting the area's identity. The slowdown in the economy may be the perfect opportunity to reevaluate the area's potential and wisely plan for the future. And until private developers start back with their plans (Victory Park included), the City and cultural institutions will keep up the pace.

Therefore, I'll keep posting about little things that may seem meaningless to readers 250 miles away but add up to big improvements for downtown Dallas. I think Houston and Dallas can learn a lot from each other's small and large scale urban development. Though we both have pride in our respective cities, we're not all that different.

• Like 1

I agree that some of those projects I listed are just announcements and renovations, but I wanted to throw them out there for updates. Compared to a lot of areas in Dallas (and around the country), downtown is doing OK and the area hasn't been completely abandoned by developers. The City is trying to keep recent momentum going, despite the setbacks, to hopefully produce a more vibrant, livable downtown. The sum of all of these various renovations and "small" projects is greater than one or two new buildings that contribute nothing to the urban environment. The new Main Street Garden has changed the east end of downtown overnight, bringing families and downtown residents to an area that was previously desolate. Much like Discovery Green has done for downtown Houston, these new parks are going to change the perception of downtown Dallas.

Downtown is headed in the right direction and we've come a long way in just the past few years. But there are still a lot of transit gaps and underutilized structures in the business district. The new Downtown Dallas 360 Plan is going to merge all previous area plans into one strategic map for development. It includes connecting the disjointed districts with streetcars and sustainable development; creating affordable urban housing options; and expanding and promoting the area's identity. The slowdown in the economy may be the perfect opportunity to reevaluate the area's potential and wisely plan for the future. And until private developers start back with their plans (Victory Park included), the City and cultural institutions will keep up the pace.

Therefore, I'll keep posting about little things that may seem meaningless to readers 250 miles away but add up to big improvements for downtown Dallas. I think Houston and Dallas can learn a lot from each other's small and large scale urban development. Though we both have pride in our respective cities, we're not all that different.

at last, a comment specifically about dallas. thanks for keeping the thread on track.

I see the mod chose to allow Dallasboi's Houston bashing thread to remain while deleting all other responses to it. Post 154 is an opinion which is as non Dallas specific as the one's you chose to delete (not to mention flaming, inaccurate and barely readable) . Yet it survives another round of censorship.

So I guess it is o.k. to post whatever negative remark about Houston you want to on this thread, but not o.k. for anyone to respond. Maybe we should start calling this site DAIF or DAF for short.

There is no way the Main Street Gardens has made as big of an impact to Dallas as Discovery Green did for Houston. Discovery Green helped to spawn 3 high rise towers and is at least 3 times as big as MSG.

The Dallas Hype Machine isn't working.

Edited by Peeping Tom

There is no way the Main Street Gardens has made as big of an impact to Dallas as Discovery Green did for Houston. Discovery Green helped to spawn 3 high rise towers and is at least 3 times as big as MSG.

The Dallas Hype Machine isn't working.

More like 7 times as big. Discovery Green is 12 acres to Main Street Garden's 1.7 acres. MSG is roughly the size of Market Square. And, it has been open less than a month, so the claim that it has changed east downtown overnight is probably a bit premature.

But, it has been called Dallas' "swankiest park", so I suppose that must count for something. And, they did get rid of a parking garage to build it, so it should get 2 thumbs up from us Houstonians for that alone.

More like 7 times as big. Discovery Green is 12 acres to Main Street Garden's 1.7 acres. MSG is roughly the size of Market Square. And, it has been open less than a month, so the claim that it has changed east downtown overnight is probably a bit premature.

But, it has been called Dallas' "swankiest park", so I suppose that must count for something. And, they did get rid of a parking garage to build it, so it should get 2 thumbs up from us Houstonians for that alone.

I've driven by Main Street Gardens several times. You can barely notice it. It is very small. I can't speak to the swankiness because I have never walked around. But I can tell you the part of DT Dallas that it is located feels dead to me. There is some large abandoned Mid Century hotel (with a lot of potential) that is right next to it. And lots of homeless people in the area.

I'm sure the Woodall Rodgers Freeway Park will be better situated given it's proximity to the Arts District. But that is also several times smaller than DiscoGreen.

Edited by Peeping Tom

You are right, a little development is better than nothing.

- Main Street Garden. $17 million

- Belo Garden. $6.5 million

- Woodall Rodgers Park. $60 million

- Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel. $490 million

- The Perot Museum of Nature and Science. $180 million

- First Baptist Church Dallas. $130 million

- The downtown YMCA. $5 million

- AT&T Performing Arts Center. $354 million

Total: $1.24 billion. Thank you, njeppeson, for compiling the original list.

Of course, this post in no way bashes Houston; I am simply pointing out that Dallas recognizes the problems and potential of its downtown. In an economy where many cities have seen plans for downtown renovations put on hold, Dallas is doing what it can to move forward.

You are right, a little development is better than nothing.

- Main Street Garden. $17 million

- Belo Garden. $6.5 million

- Woodall Rodgers Park. $60 million

- Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel. $490 million

- The Perot Museum of Nature and Science. $180 million

- First Baptist Church Dallas. $130 million

- The downtown YMCA. $5 million

- AT&T Performing Arts Center. $354 million

Total: $1.24 billion. Thank you, njeppeson, for compiling the original list.

Of course, this post in no way bashes Houston; I am simply pointing out that Dallas recognizes the problems and potential of its downtown. In an economy where many cities have seen plans for downtown renovations put on hold, Dallas is doing what it can to move forward.

Double Yawn.

Yes. Dallas is much better than - oh let's say Detroit and leave it at that. I just can't wait to see the renovated YMCA.

I've driven by Main Street Gardens several times. You can barely notice it. It is very small. I can't speak to the swankiness because I have never walked around. But I can tell you the part of DT Dallas that it is located feels dead to me. There is some large abandoned Mid Century hotel (with a lot of potential) that is right next to it. And lots of homeless people in the area.

I'm sure the Woodall Rodgers Freeway Park will be better situated given it's proximity to the Arts District. But that is also several times smaller than DiscoGreen.

True, Main Street Garden is pretty small compared to other cities' urban parks. Pacific Plaza will be a 3 acre park 2 blocks away, and The Park on top of Woodall Rodgers will have more in common with Discovery Green. But Main Street Garden has been very active since day 1. Unlike Discovery Green, Main Street Garden is framed by structures in the Harwood Historic District that represent a wide range of architectural styles. There's only one surface lot catty corner to the park that has the potential for new development. The cafe in the park should open next month to attract even more people. It's a great improvement over the old parking lots, garages and liquor stores that were there before.

As for the Statler (the Mid Century hotel you mention), there are talks of renovation and the overseas owner is finally interested in doing something with their building (LINK). City leaders know that this is one huge structure holding back progress in the district. Other surrounding buildings scheduled for renovation include the: Mercantile Continental building (apartments by Forest City), Atmos Complex (apartments by Hamilton) and Old Municipal Building (law school by UNT). Most of these, along with the Mercantile renovation, were in direct response to the City's commitment to build Main Street Garden.

Here's another one. Nobody's putting too much hope into it, since a new proposal for this structure comes around every few months. But, this may be the one...

1600 Pacific to become The Grand Ricchi, open in 18 months, developer says

4:22 PM Fri, Dec 11, 2009

Rudolph Bush/Reporter

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/12/1600-pacific-to-become-the-gra.html

A San Antonio developer plans to restore the old LTV Tower at 1600 Pacific into a commercial, hotel and residential project.

Leobardo Trevino said his company, Ricchi Dallas Investments, will preserve the appearance of the building's exterior and its elaborate, wood-paneled second floor.

The rest of the building will be completely renovated, he said.

The first four floors of the project will be complete in 18 months and will include a bank, two restaurants, a bar and a gym, he said.

The remainder of the building will be converted into a hotel and residential condominiums, he said.

The condos will be built as they are sold, although some units will be built.

Edited by dfwcre8tive

Not bad...

Oncor's decision to stay gives downtown Dallas more energy

12:00 AM CST on Friday, December 11, 2009

Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/columnists/sbrown/stories/DN-recol_11bus.ART.State.Edition1.3cf8fed.html

Oncor's 500 office workers would have been a nice package to put under some suburb's Christmas tree.

Instead, Oncor chose to invest more than just people downtown. It's in final negotiations to buy the 265,000-square-foot office complex near the Dallas Arts District.

That property – which is perhaps the biggest potential billboard on the Dallas skyline – has been empty for more than five years.

Dozens of potential tenants have kicked the tires on the complex, but no one would do the deal.

But with the new Perot Museum of Nature and Science going up across the freeway and construction on the Woodall Rodgers Park almost at the front door, even Mr. Magoo could see the potential of this property.

Oncor is the second major downtown office tenant in recent months to recommit.

In October, accounting firm Deloitte decided to consolidate its local operations in the Chase Tower on Ross Avenue after looking at options in other parts of the city.

And businesses moving into downtown from other areas this year have filled close to 400,000 square feet of office space, officials with the economic development group Downtown Dallas estimate.

"And there have been a ton of renewals and expansions," Downtown Dallas CEO John Crawford said. "Not only do we have a lot of companies relocating to the center city, but we are keeping what we have."

Nice photo update, it is what it is, a "garden" or at least garden-sized. It basically looks like a lawn.

Im sure theres stuff to do there, sit on a bench, eat at the cafe, etc. But it looks little.

But, its a start. It would be cool, if every parking lot would turn into one of these, though!(of course, i would prefer skyscrapers and buildingsbiggrin.gif)

^ It appears to be a small public plaza rather than a park. It's definitely too small for much other than a more attractive alternative for the rare pedestrian walking from parking garage to office building. I see a total of four people in the photo, and one isn't even in the park. But I suppose it's better than a crumbling parking lot?

Once the cafe opens in January there should be more activity, and those little green garden roofs and covered pavilion will have movable tables and chairs under them. There are a lot of little things that they are still working on, and the large green lawn in the center is roped off until the roots have a start. It's not a very large park, but it's the perfect size for this area of downtown. I'll try to get some ground level photos once things finally get more complete.

U are right about me liking Houston...I love Houston.......But I also see how houston is not all it cracked up to be or how u houstonians want people to see houston...It is rather BIG....and for the most part it is bland.......lets not talk about monstrosities...the buildings in DTHouston are indeed tall......but overall its nothing in DTH thats not screaming "Bland".....I can say that my favorite buildings in the world are in Houston(enron Towers) but that is not enuff to create the image you guys want everybody to have.....Jealous?...I wouldnt say that.i feel like dallas and houston basically offer the same stuff accept dallas always seems to do everything a tad bit better....Houston is the 4th largest city in the u.s...and Dallas which is the 9th largest out bids houston on everything...why is that?Because while houston is almost double dallas in size and poulation it shows that the bulk of the bulkiness of houston is generic uninspiring uncontrolled fill-in that gives it a bigger busier feel with no substinance..In dallas its much smaller..less congested alot cleaner and the developments give you a way better since of place...development in Dallas always seems relevent to the surroundings to where it is placed...in hosuston everything seems randomly placed and badly situated......ugh!!!!..I know houston can do better...How can the ninth u.s city be giving Houston this much run for the money.....Step it up Houston....You guys need to be blowing us out of the water up herer in lil ole Dallas.... ;):rolleyes:

...says a boy from Dallas. Classic case of jealousy. Credibility=0.

That photo of MSG is proof that Houston's downtown park is more than just a tad bit better than Dallas' downtown park. So is Houston's medical center, gallerias, museum district, theatre district, collection of world class stadiums and skyline(s). Another asinine post from a jealous Dallasonian who can never pass up an opportunity to bash Houston, yet can't stay away from it either.

Edited by Coaster
  • Like 1

These city vs city arguments are pretty dumb. Makes everyone look childish.

Right? Looks like something right out of City Data's City vs City Forum. Anyways, people have been dumb/childish on both parts.

(some)HAIF'ers acting childish for actually arguing with these Dallasites. But (some)Dallasites for bashing Houston on a site dedicated for/to Houston! I mean seriously...

But its been entertaining...wink.gif

• 2 months later...

Since both Dallas and Houston are a large part of my life, I know there is no comparison. The cities are too different to compare, but I love 'em both.

I was born in Houston, and graduated from high school there. Houston has more green space, especially in and around downtown. Houston has the midtown and Rice areas, especially the Rice Village. The near west side has personality, and Houston has enough quirkiness to keep it interesting.

Dallas, where I've lived for close to thirty years, has finally caught on to the concept of revitalizing downtown. Uptown/Trolley district is a great place to see because its personality changes from block to block. The SMU campus is lovely, and there are other places worth visiting closer to downtown, such as the Bishop Arts District.

Dallas has the edge on transportation, but Houston is a better city for pedestrians.

Houston has River Oaks, West U. and Bellaire. Dallas has the Park Cities and Preston Hollow. That's a tie.

Houston has the edge on zoos, but both are worth visiting. Hermann Park and Memorial Park also bring back very nice memories. That's one area where Dallas might be lagging.

Both cities have a Galleria, and there isn't much difference between them.

Both are great places to live. Like I said, I love 'em both.

• 1 month later...

Citywalk@Akard officially opened last night. A vacant mid-century highrise was converted to a mixed-income residential development (50 of the units are reserved for the formerly homeless). The building also includes 2 floors of office space and will contain a ground level 7-11 convenience store.

4464078846_56eb49163b.jpg

4463300289_135b977e7b.jpg

4463299797_a6c0f58057.jpg

4464077730_a8489fdfa1.jpg

4464077890_6b61a80919.jpg

4463296961_c1fd925161.jpg

4464073656_5dd97fcc13.jpg

4464075606_e11f9babc2.jpg

4463297559_c7c9feedfd.jpg

4463297331_73b2080d5e.jpg

4464076632_7ee6d02610.jpg

4464076100_5832375016.jpg

4463299527_895f5ab959.jpg

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38795277@N05/sets/72157623575399001/

• 3 months later...

Elm Place, which was closed at the beginning of 2010, may see new life...

Plan for Elm Place includes luxury and affordable housing

11:17 AM CDT on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

stevebrown@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/063010dnbusElmPlace.ee9cc573.html

A Dallas architectural firm is working on a recycling plan for one of Dallas’ biggest skyscrapers.

The 52-story Elm Place office tower at 1401 Elm has been empty since the building’s owners shut the building down earlier this year due to low occupancy.

The 1.5 million-square-foot building, which opened in 1964, is now up for sale.

Dallas-based Rees Architecture is working with an investment group that wants to buy the building to develop a plan to convert the tower to housing.

“There is a real demand for affordable housing downtown,” said Rees partner Gary Pitts.

The design firm is drawing up plans to create a combination of more than 600 affordable and luxury residential units in the old office tower.

• 3 weeks later...

The next downtown park is about to start...

Site work to start on 1.6-acre Belo Garden in downtown Dallas

12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, July 17, 2010

By DAVID FLICK / The Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-park_17met.ART.State.Edition1.2a36497.html

The first visible step toward construction of another downtown park will begin Monday with removal of lead-contaminated soil from the 1.6-acre site.

Willis Winters, Dallas' assistant parks director, said soil removal from what is now a parking lot at Main and Griffin streets should take 50 days, clearing the way for construction of the new Belo Garden to begin Nov. 1.

The lead contamination is the result of fill dirt that was brought into the site decades ago, according to Winters. Contaminated soil reaches a depth of 15 feet on some sections of the site.

The $14.5 million park is scheduled to open in early 2012.

BELO_3.jpg

BELO_1.jpg

BELO_2.jpg

BELO_4.jpg

Edited by dfwcre8tive

Today's official announcement for the Spire development downtown (near the Arts District)...

SITE PLAN

Mixed-use project is planned for land near Dallas' Arts District

10:32 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

stevebrown@dallasnews.com

The corner of Ross Avenue and Routh Street is the intersection of schlock and awe.

On the north side of the busy downtown Dallas crossroads, you have the inspiring architecture of the Arts District.

Across the street, there are blocks of scruffy parking lots and a few faded commercial buildings.

The investors who own almost 12 acres in a triangle roughly bounded by Ross, North Central Expressway and Leonard Street see the mostly vacant area as downtown's next development district.

Spire also believes in its game plan – to start slowly with a first 21-story building at San Jacinto and Leonard Street and add to the project as demand grows.

The timing is right to start working on another downtown office project, Pustmueller said.

"There are a bunch of leases that are going to start to roll over in the next few years," he said. "We want tenants to consider Spire's project when they are looking downtown."

WDG Architecture designed the master plan for Spire, which includes landscaped streets and a central park.

Spire Realty expects its improvements in the area to help create a more pedestrian-friendly link between the Pearl Street DART rail station and the Arts District.

"We want to capture the traffic walking through our neighborhood," Smith said. "We decided to take the approach of building what would really enhance the Arts District."

For Spire, that means a 360,000-square-foot building with some ground floor retail space and a row of residential units facing the planned park.

These were pulled from WDG Dallas Architecture PLLC's website www.wdgdallas.com

rendering.png

lobbyn.png

streetlevelrendering.png

streetlevelrendering2.png

streetlevelrendering3.png

The next downtown park is about to start...

Site work to start on 1.6-acre Belo Garden in downtown Dallas

12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, July 17, 2010

By DAVID FLICK / The Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-park_17met.ART.State.Edition1.2a36497.html

The first visible step toward construction of another downtown park will begin Monday with removal of lead-contaminated soil from the 1.6-acre site.

Willis Winters, Dallas' assistant parks director, said soil removal from what is now a parking lot at Main and Griffin streets should take 50 days, clearing the way for construction of the new Belo Garden to begin Nov. 1.

The lead contamination is the result of fill dirt that was brought into the site decades ago, according to Winters. Contaminated soil reaches a depth of 15 feet on some sections of the site.

The $14.5 million park is scheduled to open in early 2012.

BELO_3.jpg

BELO_1.jpg

BELO_2.jpg

BELO_4.jpg

This is really cool! Dallas has been a real forward thinking city lately. Here is a video I found of the construction now:

This is really cool! Dallas has been a real forward thinking city lately.

Yeah...so there's a reason that boats don't have a front, rear, right, or left side (fore, aft, starboard, port) and that they travel in a direction relative to true north instead of merely "forward". And even still, there's always the possibility that some neophyte will come to the helm and not understand which end of the boat is the bow or stern. I think that that's what's happened here.

• Like 2