Holy Cross Chapel At 905 Main St.

pace

Does anyone know any reputable architecture firm with experience on converting old Houston downtown office buildings for alternative uses (hotel, loft, etc.)? I have an out of town developer friend who is looking at a couple old office buildings in Downtown Houston and asks me to make some recommendations.

• Like 1

Does anyone know any reputable architecture firm with experience on converting old Houston downtown office buildings for alternative uses (hotel, loft, etc.)? I have an out of town developer friend who is looking at a couple old office buildings in Downtown Houston and asks me to make some recommandations.

I don't think this should be in the "Going Up!" forum. ;)

Anyway, sorry... don't have any ideas. :S

Does anyone know any reputable architecture firm with experience on converting old Houston downtown office buildings for alternative uses (hotel, loft, etc.)? I have an out of town developer friend who is looking at a couple old office buildings in Downtown Houston and asks me to make some recommandations.

PageSoutherlandPage is one. Has been the architect on a couple of downtown buildings, and just look at their (almost) new office space in 1100 Louisiana, where they converted a former bank lobby into really cool office space.

And I believe it was Gensler that restored the building that now houses Holy Cross Chapel on Main.

Randall Davis did the Rice, St. Germain, and was the fee developer for Kirby Lofts.

• Like 1

• 12 years later...
2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

905 Main looks pretty solid to me (Google streetview), can you give any more details?

It may well be brick on the upper floors, but what looks like limestone on the ground floor is an EIFS re-creation like the upper floors of the JW Marriott.  There are places where the paint-like coating has broken off on the relief, exposing the Styrofoam underneath.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rechlin said:

It may well be brick on the upper floors, but what looks like limestone on the ground floor is an EIFS re-creation like the upper floors of the JW Marriott.  There are places where the paint-like coating has broken off on the relief, exposing the Styrofoam underneath.

you sure ALL of that is fake??

12 hours ago, Avossos said:

you sure ALL of that is fake??

I'm not sure which you are referring to, but I can say that on the Holy Cross Chapel, the limestone/sandstone is fake.  On the JW Marriott, everything above the first three floors is fake except for some panels immediately below the windows on a couple floors.

• The title was changed to Downtown Houston Conversion Project
  • The title was changed to Holy Cross Chapel At 905 Main St.

Picture I took today of the Holy Cross Chapel.

Lots of history here. The original building was designed by Alfred C. Finn but has since undergone 3 facade remodels.  I believe I read that the current facade is the 3rd remodel.  I like it personally.

fobw6Az.jpeg

• Like 1