The Woodlands Booming

wxman

There was an article in The Woodlands Villager, in partnership with HCN (Houston Community Newspapers) that said Montgomery County in general is going from rural to urban overnight. For example, the paper said that by the time The Woodlands is done building out, it will have 120,000 residents (are you ready for this) 34 MILLION sq. ft. of office space!

The Woodlands plans 33.5 million square feet of COMMERCIAL space, not office space. Commercial includes office, warehouse, hospitals, retail, restaurants, hotels and strip centers. They plan on 10.5 million square feet of actual office space. 7 million square feet has already been built, as well as 23 million square feet of total commercial, so basically you can expect it to be 50% more than is there now.

The Woodlands plans 33.5 million square feet of COMMERCIAL space, not office space. Commercial includes office, warehouse, hospitals, retail, restaurants, hotels and strip centers. They plan on 10.5 million square feet of actual office space. 7 million square feet has already been built, as well as 23 million square feet of total commercial, so basically you can expect it to be 50% more than is there now.

Yeah, I wasn't believing it. No way the Woodlands puts up more office space than Uptown. That Woodlands' planned office space is about the size of the Energy Corridor.

Whew...ok. I thought I was off my rocker. I thought that number sounded a bit big.

I also thought that The Woodlands was supposed to have 150,000 people when built out. Who knows. I'd imagine it will be bigger than that when it truely is all said and done. With the highrise lofts and the new Creekside Village going in, I'd imagine it will give The Woodlands quite a population increase. However I think that they will continue to buy land. As long as there is a demand, The Woodlands will provide a place for them.

Isn't the land around the Woodlands already bought up by developers. Once development that I can think of is Woodland Ranch (I think that was the name).

Well when the The Woodlands becomes a city, I'd imagine it will begin to annex. Boy theres a thought!

Well when the The Woodlands becomes a city, I'd imagine it will begin to annex. Boy theres a thought!

It's one thing for Houston to allow for The Woodlands to incorporate. It's another to let The Woodlands have ETJ. There is NO WAY the City of Houston would let The Woodlands have ETJ (and the ability to annex).

Look at the City of Katy. The City of Houston has Katy on a leash of sorts. Katy may only annex if Houston wants Katy to annex.

Even if the City of Houston would let them, I doubt that Woodlanders would even want to annex areas that aren't part of the master planned community.

Even if the City of Houston would let them, I doubt that Woodlanders would even want to annex areas that aren't part of the master planned community.

I envision that The Woodlands could be make deals with other municipalities and expand in the future to acquire undeveloped areas, but in doing so would want contigious properties containing developed areas that in time would gain enough value for existing owners to let them go for tax reasons, opening up additional development opportunities. Planned and unplanned residential areas could be part of that. Houston does not seem eager to take on far reaching areas. Their focus is primarily inward. There are so many areas they need to renew to keep the city from becoming another Baltimore or Philadelphia. The future possibilities are interesting but all reasonable probability, The Woodlands will be too heavily engaged in local matters for a long time to come to be able to deal with expansion unless the development company can convince them to put resources on new areas outside of existing boundaries. It has happened once, so I see another venture as quite a possibility in the near future. I consider that activity quite different than an ETJ however.

I envision that The Woodlands could be make deals with other municipalities and expand in the future to acquire undeveloped areas, but in doing so would want contigious properties containing developed areas that in time would gain enough value for existing owners to let them go for tax reasons, opening up additional development opportunities. Planned and unplanned residential areas could be part of that. Houston does not seem eager to take on far reaching areas. Their focus is primarily inward. There are so many areas they need to renew to keep the city from becoming another Baltimore or Philadelphia. The future possibilities are interesting but all reasonable probability, The Woodlands will be too heavily engaged in local matters for a long time to come to be able to deal with expansion unless the development company can convince them to put resources on new areas outside of existing boundaries. It has happened once, so I see another venture as quite a possibility in the near future. I consider that activity quite different than an ETJ however.

I think that the TW will be too busy over the next few years just trying to upgrade their infrastructure while trying to maintain their "idealistic" way of living than to worry about annexing. *IF* they do manage to annex, they will have to take into consideration that they will have to provide additional assets to that areas that they annex. It's a vicious cycle that TW will eventually learn that might make them give up the keys eventually.

• 11 months later...
The don't have a Wiki page on Market Street, but they have one on this!

Thanx for finding it, I am shocked it even exists. :o

sure, no problem

when i was younger i saw the tall tower in the woodlands

and got curious so i went to wikipedia and found out about

anadarko tower

and found that... B)

I finally saw Batman tonight in the Woodlands. Afterwards, I took a stroll by the fountain and waterway. I don't know what sugarland is like, but I have a really hard time believing it's anything like this, and it's not even finished. This place is really cool, even if it is in the 'burbs.

Bachanon, have you noticed the new rendering that's just east of the fountain by the windy sidewalk for a hotel/condo? It's even got a big shadowy tower in the background, which may or may not be the condo going up right now.

• 4 weeks later...

yes, i've seen the renderings.

however, the structures going up now are 4 waterway square, a nine story office building, and a parking garage with ground floor retail. the condo tower, hotel (rumor is ritz carlton) and one more office building have not yet broken ground.

us oncology has the exterior facade going on and the parking garage is enormous. according to sources connected with the woodlands development co and harvey construction, there are two or three more office buildings going up next to us oncology that the parking garage will service. also, there is to be an area preserved to give a view of the waterway fountain from woodlands parkway. a "view" corridor from the fountain at waterway square that is visible across the waterway, between office buildings all the way to woodlands parkway.

all good stuff and definitely not sugarland.

• The title was changed to The Woodlands Booming

Archived