Trees To Be Planted Along Highway 249

mrfootball

The Texas Department of Transportation will launch a $2.1 million tree-planting project this month along Texas 249 from Beltway 8 to just south of Tomball. It is the agency's largest landscape project in the Houston region to date.

When it is over, 30,705 trees, including pines, oaks, elms, sycamores and some wax myrtle and yaupon, will line the highway between the mainlanes and frontage roads, said Dana Cote, landscape architect for TxDOT's Houston district. Crape myrtles will be planted along the borders to add a splash of color.

"With these projects we typically target roadways that are not scheduled for reconstruction anytime in the near future," Cote said. "And Texas 249 has so much greenspace that it was an ideal choice for this large project."

Click here to read the rest of the Article

The Texas Department of Transportation will launch a $2.1 million tree-planting project this month along Texas 249 from Beltway 8 to just south of Tomball. It is the agency's largest landscape project in the Houston region to date.

When it is over, 30,705 trees, including pines, oaks, elms, sycamores and some wax myrtle and yaupon, will line the highway between the mainlanes and frontage roads, said Dana Cote, landscape architect for TxDOT's Houston district. Crape myrtles will be planted along the borders to add a splash of color.

"With these projects we typically target roadways that are not scheduled for reconstruction anytime in the near future," Cote said. "And Texas 249 has so much greenspace that it was an ideal choice for this large project."

Click here to read the rest of the Article

Nice. I already think 249 looks pretty decent from the mall area to just north of Tomball where the trees will end. Lets just hope they survive hurricane season.

Guest Marty
Nice. I already think 249 looks pretty decent from the mall area to just north of Tomball where the trees will end. Lets just hope they survive hurricane season.

They can survive strong thunderstorm winds, this is an example of how the trees are supported.

4v48a9x.jpg

Bravo! Beautifying our freeways should be a top priority. The recently finished stretch of I10 west of Hwy 6 is also starting to look good. They've planted lots of trees there too, and the freeway itself actually looks good, all sleek and modern.

Since the view from the freeways is the main impression that many visitors get, making that view more pleasant has to be a top priority. It's also important to those of us that live here!

Now if they could just do something about I45 North. Ugh.

Bravo! Beautifying our freeways should be a top priority. The recently finished stretch of I10 west of Hwy 6 is also starting to look good. They've planted lots of trees there too, and the freeway itself actually looks good, all sleek and modern.

Since the view from the freeways is the main impression that many visitors get, making that view more pleasant has to be a top priority. It's also important to those of us that live here!

Now if they could just do something about I45 North. Ugh.

Here's whatcha do about 45 North. You slowly (or very quickly) implement draconian anti-billboard laws, Sugarland style. Oh yeah. Destroy them all. The freeway will look just a little bit nicer and I think maybe, just maybe we'll save a few traffic accidents each year from distracting billboards. I know I've driven many times up 45 to get home from university and I've seen one of those hideous signs and thought "Mmmm, beer. Augghhhhhhh.....(slobber)." And that was distracting. So yeah. Destroy the billboards.

Getting rid of the billboards would be a step in the right direction, but what do you do about all those horrible looking busineses and their tacky signs that line both sides of the freeway? Is it too late? Can anything be done?

Getting rid of the billboards would be a step in the right direction, but what do you do about all those horrible looking busineses and their tacky signs that line both sides of the freeway? Is it too late? Can anything be done?

Yes, we can do something. Some Houston representative in the state government authors a bill to provide (or allocate an existing) subsidy for small businesses to beautify their exteriors, or for the owners of disgusting strip centers to do the same. The more businesses or strip centers along a stretch of contiguous road that sign on, the greater the subsidy. This will promote greater aesthetic agreement in overall design, since the subsidized will be required to agree on a single redesign concept or theme. Mwa ha ha.

• 1 month later...
I drove by today and noticed that they have started working on the project. cool...

Large piles of mulch every 100 feet or so have been put down between the mainlaines and the feeder up near HP. I assume this is part of the reforestation process.

Seems kinda weak considering how many thousands of mature trees were cleared for the vintage park project though.

I wish this city would have some zoning to protect the land.

• 4 weeks later...
Large piles of mulch every 100 feet or so have been put down between the mainlaines and the feeder up near HP. I assume this is part of the reforestation process.

I drove by today and it looks like the big piles of mulch have just been spread out thinly over the grass. I don't know how the reforestation process works - does anyone know if this project is still moving forward?

Here's whatcha do about 45 North. You slowly (or very quickly) implement draconian anti-billboard laws, Sugarland style. Oh yeah. Destroy them all. The freeway will look just a little bit nicer and I think maybe, just maybe we'll save a few traffic accidents each year from distracting billboards. I know I've driven many times up 45 to get home from university and I've seen one of those hideous signs and thought "Mmmm, beer. Augghhhhhhh.....(slobber)." And that was distracting. So yeah. Destroy the billboards.

Good idea, except that they're protected by federal law. I believe the city banned billboards in 1981, and we're still waiting on them to start coming down...

• The title was changed to Trees To Be Planted Along Highway 249

Archived