Houston Gets A Subway?

I finally got the pleasure of visiting Dallas and riding their subway and realized that why can't Houston do this. And i don't wanna hear about the flooding issue because that didn't stop us from building the largest tunnel system in the world!

Perhaps i was a little jealous of Dallas because in many cases, Dallas seems so much more advanced than Houston but when i read this, i saw a light of some hope!

IS METRO EXPANING UNDERGROUND?

11:19 AM CDT on Thursday, June 24, 2004

By Jeremy Rogalski / 11 News

Many of our freeways are above ground, but could Houston

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite an old article, and if you like it or not flooding has come up plenty of times. But I am not sure wether they are still going to go through with it or not. It would be pretty cool if we did have a subway type rail though.

You people in Houston all ways think you can't do something. And you always think about the worst. Houstonians always think they have the worst traffic they don't.

Houstonians think that it floods really bad all over Houston. It doesn't.

The problem is being fixed with bayous. Just be happy Houston is not sinking like New Orleans is. Houston may not be that high in elevation, but it's not bad off.

I really do hope that Metro is able to overcome the money issues and "it will flood and we'll all die!" paranoia to build this line as a subway. It will be much easier on traffic, allow higher capacity trains with up to three cars, and allow for much better connections to the GRB, City Hall, and existing Main St. rail line.

IMO I hope METRO doesn't do a subway line. Yes, I might get dinged for saying so. I also don't like to see it run on Capitol either. I would like to see METRO move it to run on Lamar and McKinney (one way streets) so that we can have a METRO Center type of station. Have a station on Lamar and McKinney, and have people transfer to Main Street Square on Main Street just a few feet away.

Hardly, DaTrain. IMO, a subway ride is a lot less enjoyable than an at-grade or above grade line. What are you seeing? A long, endless corridor of brick and concrete? That's it! A worse experience than driving on a freeway, for sure.

However, sometimes a subway seg allows for better flow of train lines through certain areas. To me, that's really the only advantage.

IMO I hope METRO doesn't do a subway line.  Yes, I might get dinged for saying so.  I also don't like to see it run on Capitol either.  I would like to see METRO move it to run on Lamar and McKinney (one way streets) so that we can have a METRO Center type of station.  Have a station on Lamar and McKinney, and have people transfer to Main Street Square on Main Street just a few feet away.

In theory, this sounds like a good idea. However, I think that moving the rail lines to Lamar and McKinney would cause a lot of traffic problems, as those streets provide the connection from Allen Parkway to downtown, and they both dead end at Avenida de las Americas in front of the GRB. The east-west downtown rail line will connect to the Harrisburg and Southeast lines, so a street-level configuration would need to get to the east side of the Eastex Freeway somehow. The Hilton, Toyota Center, GRB, and Minute Maid Park all cut off many streets that used to continue under the freeway, leaving only a few options for an at grade rail line that wouldn't be extremely disruptive to vehicular traffic.

On the west side of downtown, this line would possibly connect to the Washington/inner Katy line. A Lamar/McKinney routing would cause a problem here also, as the connections from these streets to Allen Parkway and I-45 would have to be dealt with.

I'm not saying a routing on those streets is impossible, and in some ways it makes sense. There are a ton of Metro bus stops surrounding the blocks where Foley's and the Foley's garage are, and it would make transfers between both rail lines very easy. However, the subway would make those transfers almost as easy -- pedestrian tunnels could connect stairways adjacent to the Main St. Square platforms to the subway station -- and would solve a lot of problems with connections on either side of downtown, and wouldn't reduce the number of lanes available to vehicular traffic.

Just be happy Houston is not sinking like New Orleans is. Houston may not be that high in elevation, but it's not bad off.

Just for the record. Houston is "sinking". On average about 5cm (~2 inches) per year. Houston is built on layers of compactible clay that are 90% water. As these aquifers have been depleted the clays collapse and you get your "sink"age.

Personally, I think we'll make a really nice lagoon someday. Thank you for listening.

Oh and I dont think a subway is impossible. Just expensive. I'd love to see it happen.

^ If Houston does ever get a subway, it won't be anytime soon (like in the next 15 years) Subways are expensive to build. A subway in Houston will be more expensive than normal due to the engeneering involved in building one below sea level. . . and right now, Tom Delay is trying to makle sure that METRO doesn't much in the way of federal funding to expand its at-grade line, much less an expensive subway line.

IT WON'T HAPPEN!!! 3 reasons

1. Delay

2. Culberson

3. Costs

As much as I would like to see these subways plans come to fuitition, I lost faith in Metro to build an effective rail system. Metro continues to sell its soul by appeasing area right wing anti-rail politicians.

Whats' the point of building a rail system if your are going to build it on the cheap and not do it right.

I digress..... ;)

As much as I would like to see these subways plans come to fuitition, I lost faith in Metro to build an effective rail system.  Metro continues to sell its soul by appeasing area right wing anti-rail politicians.

Yaga, it wasn't that simple. Metro had to compromise or there would have been NO rail for the future. Unfortunately when dealing with those as powerful as Delay in particular, sometimes it calls for "getting in bed with them". Despite what some may say, Delay and Culberson have the upper hand and Metro has to play by their rules.

But even with this, Houston and Metro still got screwed to a degree because although they both vowed not to interfere if the voters approved expanding rail, they meant JUST that. Many of us were left with the impression that if the voters approved it, Delay would then help Houston get federal funds. Well, it recently came to light that what he REALLY meant was Houston would have to get federal funding on it's own and his way of helping that process is by not blocking Houston's efforts. Many of us thought he meant he would help "go to bat" for us but that wasn't true. You know, not lying DIRECTLY to us but not telling us the whole truth.

I'm bitter can't you tell. :)

Yaga, it wasn't that simple. Metro had to compromise or there would have been NO rail for the future. Unfortunately when dealing with those as powerful as Delay in particular, sometimes it calls for "getting in bed with them". Despite what some may say, Delay and Culberson have the upper hand and Metro has to play by their rules.

As long as we keep sleeping with the enemy we will have to continue to settle for a C rate transit system (A=heavy rail, B=light rail in dedicated ROW, C=what we have, D=bus, F=nothing) and they will continue to point the finger at its ineffciency.

they really dont need to build a subway system.  i think the best route would to build an elevated rail system. it would cost less and wouldnt mess with the traffic.  and they should build rails down the middle of all major freways in houston.

I'm sorry but elevated rail would ruin most of the good that's been improving downtown's image the last few years. And elevated is not cheaper - it is quite expensive. It would be one thing to run an elevated rail line between freeway main lanes and a frontage road. I could possibly live with that. But elevated rail downtown would be a major mistake.

Why is better rail always to expensive for Houston? Why can't Houston ever get the better things in life? Many cities have subways, commuter rail, and other rail, with light rail on the side as a little project. But with Houston El Cheapo light rail is it's main squeeze. People always say Houston can not afford something. And I say why not take a chance?

this is why marshlands and "ox-bow" lakes are important to the buffalo bayou master plan, and flooding issues in general. these features are vital in low lying areas in order to capture and absorb water in the flood plain. development entities have ignored these natural features (instead creating cement rivers). in order to reduce flooding in the houston region we have to be able to contain flood waters and provide for quick absorption into subsurface water bodies/flows. Marshlands and ox-bow lakes allow for quick absorption of excess water.

i'm not sure if these feautures (artificial or natural) would allow us to have subways that didn't flood; however, the less water draining into the bayous the better off we, as a region, would be.

Archived