What Is Wrong With East Houston

santa rosa, off of reveille...the closer to park place, the worse it gets it seems.

this is around stop number seven on my neighborhood living tour of houston...we'll see how long it lasts :)

I looked at a house over on Edna I believe it was....the subdivison had deed restrictions, and consisted of like 2-3 streets. The surrounding houses were pretty well kept up, but they had hacked the house I looked at all to hell, so it was an easy NO.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting to know your neighbors is the first step in making improvements. I have found Halloween (perfect timing), to be the best time to make the rounds and talk to people. Once you establish contact its alot easier to drop ~hints~ about the problems that bother you. (Did you hear all the honking and loud talking this A.M., who the hell was that?) Dropping hints like that usually work.

Theres nothing wrong with East Houston.

When people come to town, there business is usually on the west side. Galveston Bay is thought of more Industrial, then recreational. (Excluding Kemah and Clear Lake) Infact, East Houston is one of the biggest industrial complexes in the world. (Ship Channel, the port, etc.) There are nice things about the east, but I'm sure the average income is far less then the west. But alot of people do live east of here, but somtimes it feels like Houston begins at the GRB Convention Center, and goes all the way to Katy.

• 3 months later...

call off the bbq folks ( ^_^ ), i am in the market...again

oh well, i tried.

i am only renting at this point, so there is no big investment to speak of - i am sure it would have been much different if i was a homeowner.

the next logical stop for my "tour of houston" would be the northeast side, but i think i'll skip that altogether...

alas

-_-

call off the bbq folks ( ^_^ ), i am in the market...again

oh well, i tried.

i am only renting at this point, so there is no big investment to speak of - i am sure it would have been much different if i was a homeowner.

the next logical stop for my "tour of houston" would be the northeast side, but i think i'll skip that altogether...

alas

-_-

Go look at that little mod on Wynlea & Dover for $98,500. Who knows what it can be bought for, but they will rent it too.

Go look at that little mod on Wynlea & Dover for $98,500. Who knows what it can be bought for, but they will rent it too.

Don't go to the Gregg/Cline St area. More neighbors that like to blast Spanish music, let the dogs roam freely, and let their rooster stay in the back yard to help wake you up. I don't think those people will be bought out any time soon.

Don't go to the Gregg/Cline St area. More neighbors that like to blast Spanish music, let the dogs roam freely, and let their rooster stay in the back yard to help wake you up. I don't think those people will be bought out any time soon.

2 words: Noise Ordinance. It's a City ordinance that a lot of people don't know exists or, if they do, they don't understand that it has nothing to do with what time of day it is. $500 fine too. Any sound heard from 50 ft. of it's source, unless it's machinery or an emergency situation is illegal. The problem is most HPD don't even know it exists, so you need to be persistant.

We had a Hispanic officer at our civic club meeting tonight tell about how the immigrants are very "anti-authority" and that they won't take a warning even from them. They come from a place where anything goes and the cops are as corrupt as the criminals. He tried to tell some people that were selling some type of item on the sidewalk that they couldn't and he said that several of them surrounded him and he had to call for backup, and this is a guy who has been HPD for over 35 years.

People need to spanked until they learn how to behave.

Really? The sales guy at the in-town office is telling the story that they are in the process of buying those houses up. Who knows how valid that is. Are you living in one of those Juliet or In-town townhomes?

Really? The sales guy at the in-town office is telling the story that they are in the process of buying those houses up. Who knows how valid that is. Are you living in one of those Juliet or In-town townhomes?

In-town homes. If they are in the process, then the process is gonna be years. If you look at how much land some of those people own, I'm not sure where they would go if they sell.

• 1 month later...

As a long-time resident of the East End (Harrisburg/Wayside), I feel that I can comment specifically on the immediate surrounding neighborhoods. I'm a pretty new poster/long time lurker.

The Harrisburg retail corridor needs some updating. There are some retail around the 6600 block of Harrisburg that reside in pretty old buildings, but some can easily be updated to have it look great. Some of the buildings, however, just need to be torn down. A lot of "Bus Tour" companies (basically, a bus from Houston to Mexico) seem to litter the area as Hispanics frequently go back to/from Mexico to visit family, send money, etc. While it is good business to those in the area, it is pretty unsightly as these type of companies don't like to keep their areas clean and modern.

In the mid 90's, the area was rampant with gang activity in 2nd/3rd ward, and the Central Park/Magnolia area. Since then, however, it has been reduced to a trickle as it ultimately becomes pointless. Neighborhoods are pretty peaceful now as compared to ten years ago. You can still see large congegrations of Hispanics in homes with loud music, but keep in mind that it is usually a party, as they like to celebrate lots and lots of things.

As for the homes themselves, there are many, many houses still standing from the 1920's-30's etc. I currently live elsewhere, but I predict this area will become something like the Heights. There are many houses that need a bit up updating, but they can come at a really good price, considering the proximity to downtown. The proximitity to everywhere else, for that matter. Easy access to I-45, I-10 and 610, which allows one to get around pretty quickly once you learn the streets.

Retail: Upper class retail is non-existient. The area is littered with lower retail, with thrift stores and dollar stores having much of the clout in the area. It is my opinion that Kroger needs a signature store in the area (in which I think they could make a killing) as the Cullen/Polk location center with CvS is old and run down. However, some of the resturants around are excellent and have been established for a long time. Merida, the original Ninfa's, Champ Burger(try it, you'll love it), and many of the Mexican Resturants around are also good.

As a long-time resident of the East End (Harrisburg/Wayside), I feel that I can comment specifically on the immediate surrounding neighborhoods. I'm a pretty new poster/long time lurker.

The Harrisburg retail corridor needs some updating. There are some retail around the 6600 block of Harrisburg that reside in pretty old buildings, but some can easily be updated to have it look great. Some of the buildings, however, just need to be torn down. A lot of "Bus Tour" companies (basically, a bus from Houston to Mexico) seem to litter the area as Hispanics frequently go back to/from Mexico to visit family, send money, etc. While it is good business to those in the area, it is pretty unsightly as these type of companies don't like to keep their areas clean and modern.

In the mid 90's, the area was rampant with gang activity in 2nd/3rd ward, and the Central Park/Magnolia area. Since then, however, it has been reduced to a trickle as it ultimately becomes pointless. Neighborhoods are pretty peaceful now as compared to ten years ago. You can still see large congegrations of Hispanics in homes with loud music, but keep in mind that it is usually a party, as they like to celebrate lots and lots of things.

As for the homes themselves, there are many, many houses still standing from the 1920's-30's etc. I currently live elsewhere, but I predict this area will become something like the Heights. There are many houses that need a bit up updating, but they can come at a really good price, considering the proximity to downtown. The proximitity to everywhere else, for that matter. Easy access to I-45, I-10 and 610, which allows one to get around pretty quickly once you learn the streets.

Retail: Upper class retail is non-existient. The area is littered with lower retail, with thrift stores and dollar stores having much of the clout in the area. It is my opinion that Kroger needs a signature store in the area (in which I think they could make a killing) as the Cullen/Polk location center with CvS is old and run down. However, some of the resturants around are excellent and have been established for a long time. Merida, the original Ninfa's, Champ Burger(try it, you'll love it), and many of the Mexican Resturants around are also good.

i remember about ten years ago when i lived in an partment complex in Magnolia and how it was infested with gangs and drugs. some of my friends died while i was young but it has cleaned up ever since.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Also, I've never had the impression that Sharpstown was a slum, even from the main roads. I know from slums (I've seen some stuff that would make your lungs explode in your chest), and Sharpstown isn't it. Is it a bit on the ghettofabulous side? Yes. But far from slummy. In fact, if we are going to consider Sharpstown to be a slum then, relatively speaking, I would say that Houston's non-slummy areas are pretty damn impressive.

As some mentioned, drive around and do your own assessment. It's one thing to 'hear' things (everyone has different experiences) than it is to experience things for yourself.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the third ward, and if I had the money I would love to fix one of those houses up. Unfortunately they were all in my price range, but the repair costs would have rivaled the final sale.However this is my favorite, Does anyone know anything about what's up with this place?other image of it

post-3468-1191368594.jpg

The street and area of Houston this ugly house is in, is not considered East Houston.

If you look under Other neighborhoods section you will find numerous conversations of this neighborhood and or TSU vicinity. Good luck. :)

For some history, I was on a flight with an older woman about 15 years ago. She told me about how she had grown up on the east side and that it was "the place to be" before River Oaks came along and pulled the attention west. She also told me about an upscale Country Club that was on the East side before moving West (I think it was Houston Country Club).

It would be nice to see East Houston reclaim some of this glory!

Hi everyone :)

Does anybody have experience with the Columbia Medical Center area, the blocks north of I-10 and west of BW8? Having a potential job offer close to there, I'm wondering if it's anywhere near livable.

Yes, I moved from the inner loop section of Meyerland to the NorthShore area in July, and I have to say it's a nice neighborhood. People don't live here for the glitz and glamour that you find in Memorial or the Heights, but just a bunch of hard-working people. I'm on the Metro bus route, which means I can still get to work without using the car all the time. The Northeast corner by the Beltway is building up with the usual suburban fare, but considering that it's very cheap and only 10 min from downtown, it's totally worth it.

• The title was changed to What Is Wrong With East Houston

Archived