Roderick Paige Elementary At 7501 Curry Rd.

Yes, Houston ISD is considering renaming Bowie Elementary School (a feeder elementary school for Key Middle School and Kashmere High School) to Rod Paige Elementary School: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ckCurrentPage=2

The move does not look popular on Chron.com; remember that Paige gained controversy with the Sharpstown HS dropout rate cover up and his actions as George W. Bush's first Secretary of Education.

I can understand a renaming if:

* The school is a new campus with a new attendance boundary

* The school is named after a person who has been found to commit a horrid deed (Why it is often not a good idea to name a school after a living person)

* The school is a consolidation of two or more existing schools.

But this renaming does not need to happen.

What a terrible idea. Rod Paige is much less worthy of having a school named for him than is Jim Bowie. Also, Jim Bowie was way cool and has a knife type named after him. Even if the school is actually named for a different Bowie, my opinion remains the same. Paige's poor handling of test scores (if you even want to be that generous with semantics) was a big part of the fraudulent results upon which the idea for No Child Left Behind was heralded and expanded to the national level. Blecchhhhh.

I can understand a renaming if:

* The school is a new campus with a new attendance boundary

* The school is named after a person who has been found to commit a horrid deed (Why it is often not a good idea to name a school after a living person)

* The school is a consolidation of two or more existing schools.

But this renaming does not need to happen.

admit it, it would just drive you a bit mad because you'd have to modify all your posts where appropriate. :)

J/K :D

Seriously, though, I totally agree. Also, I think there should be something to be said about naming schools ONLY if they had something significant in the community and/or no longer living.

Louisiana used to have a law where someone had to be dead for five years before they could have a public building named after them. I don't know if that's the case anymore.

Edited by CDeb

Since Rod Paige has a stained legacy, I would like for my alma mater school district to leave Bowie as is. Should I check to see if there are hearings about this?

Should I check if the Bowie ES population (I.E. residents of the neighborhood) REALLY wants it renamed?

admit it, it would just drive you a bit mad because you'd have to modify all your posts where appropriate. :)

J/K :D

Seriously, though, I totally agree. Also, I think there should be something to be said about naming schools ONLY if they had something significant in the community and/or no longer living.

AISD has been naming their new campuses after teachers and firefighters. I don't believe those people are dead or high level appointees to anything.

That's just freaking criminal. I'm sorry....it just is.

I heard this was going to start happening. A friend told me all Alamo/Texas Independence heroes names will be replaced on public schools within the next several years. I didn't believe him, but wow...he was absolutely right.

Guest Marty

In 15-30 years from now we will be talking about renaming Rod Paige ES

Renaming schools is a bad ideal.

Edited by Marty

• The title was changed to HISD Considers Renaming Bowie Elementary School After Rod Paige
  • The title was changed to Roderick Paige Elementary At 7501 Curry Rd.