Yep, it's a very solid bar - in the building that used to house Mary Janes. It still is kind of a work in progress -- but it's got a great low key vibe to it. I think just the outside bar is open right now but I think the interior should be open for business soon. It's not quite an icehouse - but it has a similar feel. The owners were incredibly nice as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by last night... the outside is open - VERY "work-in-progress"... a few picnic tables, a rickety old deck, a bar, and one working speaker connected to an Ipod. Canned Pearl Beer @ $2 seemed to be the drink of choice from the 10 or so people that were regulars (all seemed to have ridden their bikes there), although they did have bottled $3.50 Bud light, $4 St. Arnold, a limited choice of liquors, etc. and "Spanking" Wine. The bartender is one of the 3(?) people leasing the bar (from the 70-year-old lady who owns/runs the antique store connected the building). They are planning to renovate the inside...

And the inside? COULD BE AMAZING. Gorgeous old wood bar with mirrors runs the length of the space, with a black & white tile floor. Lots of potential. He said the floors are pretty beat up and need to be replaced, but they are planning on keeping the bar. Also, all the windows in the place have been bricked over or painted over. He said they plan to definitely scrape the paint off the windows in the front. They want it to be a "neighborhood bar where anyone can come and get a beer or a great wine." I can't wait to see what they do. They have a 15 year lease and sound like they plan to do it right.

Anyway, if you check out the bar, follow the "Potty" sign inside... you get a good look at the place... just don't look in the old broken freezer - super creepy!!

• 3 months later...

Pearl Bar was named Best New Bar and Brad was named Best Bartender by the Houston press in their Best of Houston 2007 Poll. Unfortunately, the bar is temporarily closed down now until November while they push through the renovations.

I'm going to be very intrested to see how this place turns out..

Pearl Bar was named Best New Bar and Brad was named Best Bartender by the Houston press in their Best of Houston 2007 Poll. Unfortunately, the bar is temporarily closed down now until November while they push through the renovations.

I'm going to be very intrested to see how this place turns out..

that sucks, i was thinking of going tonight, with the weather as nice as its been at night, its a great place to sit outside and drink cheap beer. oh well, november isn't that far off and there's always the w. alabama ice house

Ahhh...I might have to stop in some night for a drink. I enjoyed Mary Janes the handful of times I went.

One of my favorites was a night that a good friend came into town. We went out for drinks for a while, and as the night wore on we were ready to mellow out, but neither one of us had any bud on us. Thankfully, Mary Janes was a place where you knew that if you sat out on the patio for 5 minutes, someone would be out soon and smoke you out.

MJ's delivered as expected. Not only did we get smoked out by a couple of groups, but these folks brought the good stuff. Hydro and Lone Star...out on the back porch on a nice cool fall night.

Gotta love Houston.

• 3 months later...

Well, the "backyard bar" is closed, but there's been on-going renovation work on the building for a few months. The front doors are open quite a bit, and they've removed the bricks from over the windows on the side of the building, and the paint from the windows in the front. I really can't wait to see what they do with the place.

Additionally, the lady that owns the entire building moved her Antiques business out of the the adjacent storefront... hmm.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped by this weekend and peeked inside. They've completed revitalized the space. Concrete floor and a brand new stainless steel & dark wood bar replaced the old wooden bar. Guess the stuff in there wasn't worth saving. The brand new pool table, bar tables & chairs are all stacked up and ready to go, and there's already glassware hanging from the bar. Looks like they could be ready to open any day now??

They haven't done anything to the "backyard" area (currently filled with construction equipment) or the parking lot. Not sure if they plan to do anything to those areas before they open...

Did you happen to notice if the stage is still there? I am hoping they plan to book music here.

Nope, unfortunately the stage is gone. But the place has undergone some serious renovation and looks great. The back porch hasn't been rebuilt yet though --

• 1 month later...

i was there a couple weeks ago with some friends. what an interesting crowd. ecclectic doesn't do it justice. there were people i was shocked to see in any bar, not just this bar. the vibe was definitely low key and the music was fun. we all commented we couldn't wait to go back. i hope it does well in the midst of all the other crapola popping up on washington (like the biggots' bar, aka citizen)

• 3 months later...
The word has gotten out about Pearl Bar, unfortunately. Now it's got valet parking fer God's sake... <_< Time to move on. For now, at least.

Why is it a bad thing that it has valet parking? That is a bit of an issue, not to mention that if *I* were female, I wouldn't want to be walking in that area, particularly after a few drinks.

I just dislike valet parking on principle. Even as a female. It screams "pretentiousness" to me.

having it as an option is fine, having it as the ONLY option isn't. was talking to someone last night who said one of the places on washington had no parking for customers, only valet. soma i think?

I just dislike valet parking on principle. Even as a female. It screams "pretentiousness" to me.

Then you are gonna LOVE Happy Days bar. You have to park your own car, but you could possibly toss the homeless guy with urine stains a couple of bucks and he can pull it around back for you ? Haven't opted to try that yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I am with Sheeats on this one. Valet at a "neighborhood" bar? I live off Washington and kinda hoped to see the more laid back vibe places hit Washington and leave all the shmoopy places to midtown. No such luck I guess.

pearl bar has definitely evolved into a yuppie hang out (and i am a yuppie :o), but it's a pretty laid back crowd with a solid juke box, DJ that will spin kick-ass old school funk and r&b, hula hoops (thank you ladies), and beer pong/flip cup tables... but i'll admit to liking it a bit more 6 months ago.

The word has gotten out about Pearl Bar, unfortunately. Now it's got valet parking fer God's sake... <_< Time to move on. For now, at least.

I'm with you and adkat. DJ and valet parking - no thanks. And the crowd has definitely changed. They seem to be doing well, and that's great. I'd just hoped it might be a place that would keep me in the hood for drinks, and it's not right now.

Archived