Bumble Bees

Bumblebees or Honeybees. I have seen both in my yard, and they like to get around me alot for some reason. I am allergic also, so it makes for some nifty dance moves that my wife gets a kick out of. I have gone so far as to jump in the pool to get away from them. LOL!

Bumblebee:reserva60.jpg

Honeybee:Honigbiene.JPG

Recently since I've been hearing about the honey bee die off I remembered how there used to be quite a few bumble bees when I was growing up in the Heights. Does anyone see any bumble bees in their yards anymore? Just wondering.

i have quite a few but you have to have the right plants to attract them.

i have quite a few but you have to have the right plants to attract them.

In all seriousness, I dont think Bumble bees really harm unless you attack them. Now we all know those horrible wasps and yellow jackets are hell on wings :blush: . Dont yellow jack with them suckers.

I dont like the big black hornets either because they make holes in my car porch. You see little piles of chiseled wood under where they drill. When we were kids we used to knock them unconcious then stuff them deep inside any big ant piles for their din din. Then check on them a day or 2 later to see whats left of them. Thats normal right?

People dont realize when they plant banana trees yellow jackets/wasps love to live within them.

Recently since I've been hearing about the honey bee die off I remembered how there used to be quite a few bumble bees when I was growing up in the Heights. Does anyone see any bumble bees in their yards anymore? Just wondering.

I've seen a few, but certainly not as many as I used to see. Not sure what's up with that.

You know, I've lived in the Heights now for almost 10 years and have worked in the yard planting things year after year and I have definitely seen a large drop off in the number of bees (have lots of flowering plants in the back yard) over the last 2 years.

I do still see them on occasion, but not in the quantities I've seen before (beefore?)

I see regular bees, but not the big bumble bees.

You will see an even bigger one though on July 3rd that is more than meets the eye!

bumblebee_(pretender).jpg

I've seen a couple of bumblebees in my backyard recently, which is unusual as I can't remember seeing too many of them around before. I had to have a small hive of honeybees removed from my water meter recently - I expect the meter reader got quite a surprise, as the first time I was aware of them being there was when I got home one day and found the meter case in my front yard open and a fair-sized swarm of several dozen bees in and around it. Rather than having them exterminated, I googled around until I found the home page of the Houston Beekeepers Association and sent an email to the addresses listed there. Within a few days, I got several emails and phone calls from interested beekeepers, and one of them came out to retrieve the bees and remove the hive. Beekeepers use a bee vacuum (pretty much exactly what it sounds like) to remove bees in such situations.