If Deer Park Had A Deer Park

VicMan

I visited Nara, in Nara Prefecture, Japan. Nara had many live, tame deer roaming its public parks. Heck, Nara is so known for deer that the police department mascot is a deer.

So, what if the city of Deer Park had a deer park like Nara's. Well, it would (unfortunately) probably be impractical due to the industrial pollution. Still, it would be funny to see Deer Park like an American Nara.

I visited Nara, in Nara Prefecture, Japan. Nara had many live, tame deer roaming its public parks. Heck, Nara is so known for deer that the police department mascot is a deer.

So, what if the city of Deer Park had a deer park like Nara's. Well, it would (unfortunately) probably be impractical due to the industrial pollution. Still, it would be funny to see Deer Park like an American Nara.

How would industrial pollution make it impractical?

There is no place to live north of 225...but the rest of Deer Park is nice. I live around East Blvd and San Augustine. Sometimes it stinks yes....but not often, as the wind is out of the ESE most of the year, so it does not affect my location.

Deer Park tries to keep out the riff raff and that is important to me. A park with Deer would be cool, but I think the pollution would make it seem odd having deer there, in a park...just like VicMan said.

Have you actually been to Deer Park?

Not that I'm a big fan of Deer Park, but once you get off of Center Street it's a nice looking place. North of 225 is a different story, but...smells like $$$ to me!

I have been to the San Jacinto Monument, but I never toured Deer Park extensively.

Also, I think a sister city relationship between Deer Park and Nara would be nice.

I have to admit I have never been to Deer Park, at least knowingly, but my impression was that it was a kind of junior Pasadena. Who knows, a deer park might be a nice image builder.

In my limited experience, Deer Park is somewhat more bubba-licious than Pasadena.

In my limited experience, Deer Park is somewhat more bubba-licious than Pasadena.

Deer Parkians like to look down their noses at Pasadena (I think it comes from days past when Pasadena was home to blue collar refinery workers and Deer Park was home to their white collar managers), but as a whole, it doesn't compare to South Pasadena. It's questionable whether Deer Park is nicer than the parts of North Pasadena that abut Deer Park. It's certainly nicer than "old Pasadena", but Center Street, as Jack Nicholson once said, "needs an enema."

Like I said, the neighborhoods tend to be nice, upper middle class areas. The retail in Deer Park suckesss.

Deer Parkians like to look down their noses at Pasadena (I think it comes from days past when Pasadena was home to blue collar refinery workers and Deer Park was home to their white collar managers), but as a whole, it doesn't compare to South Pasadena. It's questionable whether Deer Park is nicer than the parts of North Pasadena that abut Deer Park. It's certainly nicer than "old Pasadena", but Center Street, as Jack Nicholson once said, "needs an enema."

Like I said, the neighborhoods tend to be nice, upper middle class areas. The retail in Deer Park suckesss.

No, I was really thinking more along the lines of the KKK retreat from Kemah/Seabrook from way back. My understanding is that most of them have since moved along to such happenin' locales as Vidor, but that an old element still remains.

Growing up, I lived in Pasadena city limits but attended Deer Park schools. Deer Park seems more homogenous to me. White, middle class, connservative. Pasadena seems to have a wider income range, more ethnic diversity, and more political diversity.

Center street is really starting to look "eh." Lots of vacant commercial property.

• 5 months later...

Deer park is one of those kind of places I had to get used to when I moved down here. Seeing very nice homes with a view of refineries & right smack up agaist high voltage power lines. Back where I'm from, no one in their right mind, and certainly no one who could afford these types of homes would dream of living anywhere near these things. But, who am I to judge?

The DP doesn't do much for me. I personally find it dull, bland & ugly. But some people must like it.

No, I was really thinking more along the lines of the KKK retreat from Kemah/Seabrook from way back. My understanding is that most of them have since moved along to such happenin' locales as Vidor, but that an old element still remains.

Niche, baby, I'm only picking on you because this thread was brought up from the dead.

Exactly how much time have you spent in deep East Texas? You talk about Vidor. Familiar with the Golden Triangle area?

• The title was changed to If Deer Park Had A Deer Park

Archived