Kroger At 1035 N. Shepherd Dr.

seagram

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday the checkout lady told me that the Kroger employees have been told work on the expansion will start in September. I also saw a "for lease" sign in some of the office space that I thought Kroger would be expanding into, so I'm a little confused about that.

My understanding is that the 25k will go behind (on the Durham side) of the space, and there will still be other retail on the Shepherd side.

That makes sense, but I'm guessing would be a more expensive expansion than stealing space from next door. But what will they do with all that nice space on the Durham side - oh wait, it's a crappy ugly space where no one even parks, there are only nasty dumpsters. Grocery store dumpsters are some of the nastiest smelling things ever. Sometimes my running routes take me behind the Fiesta on Shepherd or the Kroger on 20th. I speed up at that point.

If they expand to Durham, the theory is that the larger store will make the spaces next to it more valuable.

Location is everything, but the rest of the center currently feels disconnected to Kroger making you feel like you have to walk around the back of the store down a lonely alley to get to the other shops. I think that might be a primary reason they continue to remain empty. Hopefully the new plan will have multiple entrances like other large grocery stores to make it seem closer to multiple areas of the parking lot and nearer to the rest of the center.

What gripes my cookies is that Kroger has a two track mentality. One for The Signature stores and one for the other Krogers. At the Montrose and West Gray and I am sure other locations the sliced meat in the deli is very expensive compared to the other Krogers. I live downtown at the Y and ride teh bus therefore these are the two closest stores of any chain to me.

• The title was changed to Starbucks
  • The title was changed to Kroger At 1035 N. Shepherd Dr.