Downtown TIRZ

ToolMan

crunch not sure anyone in this administration is going to address this problem. the mayor received numerous complaints regarding the homeless and the old ordinance was expanded to midtown, avondale, hyde park to appease the most vocal. has it been enforced? NO, and I would agree the problem is only becoming worse.

there are many laws out there that aren't enforced by HPD who are either unaware or have been ordered not to arrest for certain offenses. i'm sure HPD rounding up homeless wouldn't look good for the mayor's image, which he is MOST worried about.

I agree musicman--I have a suspicion that HPD has had its hands tied. At this point it is very much a political issue--unfortunately only a pressing one for those of us who live near it.

There are some good scam artists out there--used to be a dude at Cullen and 45 who was often seen going to his place down Holman at the end of the day, getting beers with his crew.

I have an idea for a Youtube video.

* First get shots of the lady panhandling

* Several minutes later, show a clip of the same woman driving a car

Perhaps a message at the end could say "Some beggars have more money than you think!" or something to that effect!

i'll leave it to ch 2 during sweeps week and watch 13.

Edited by musicman

There is a homeless guy that sits at the same place everyday where I live downtown - he knows my name and I know his. Gary (I hope it's not Gary from this site) never asks more money or anything, but I do give him some leftovers at times. He's a pretty cool guy...always asking me how work was and who won the ballgame.

I have an idea for a Youtube video.

* First get shots of the lady panhandling

* Several minutes later, show a clip of the same woman driving a car

Perhaps a message at the end could say "Some beggars have more money than you think!" or something to that effect!

By the way, Lisa Gray had a column in the Houston Chronicle stating that the city did not try enough measures to take the "35%" (mentally ill) homeless off of city streets.

"HOUSTON PANHANDLER BUSTED!!!" would get more views and attention.

they are having a story on 13 right now about homeless in midtown

EDIT: they interviewed the owners of status and rich's. Ironically they were complaining about the SEARCH place i mentioned earlier. the guy from rich's said that cars are being broken into, people have been assaulted, prostitution and drug use are very pronounced. (like they don't use drugs in rich's already LOL) they then interviewed the lady from SEARCH who said they have contacted the police but the police don't enforce the civility ordinance. there may be a town hall meeting in the near future.

Edited by musicman

Stuff going on around SEARCH came up at the SE substation PIP meeting this week. They (HPD) asked, again, for civilians to step up as witnesses when they see anything going on with the homeless and the police. HPD has obviously had their leash shortened. Like most folks, I have a problem with police stretching their reach and take this with a large grain of salt. But.... where's the neighborhood-level discretion when the cops plainly see, day in and day out, what's going on?

I got a strong whiff that there's some substantial, residual bad PR about the (pick your category) suicide-by-cop (or) shooting of mentally ill resident -- incident in SE Houston recently that got all the media attention.

What ever happeded to cops on the beat? It seems placing new members of HPD to walk the beat dowtown would be a good training gound for them. Not only could they meet downtown residents, but tourist also, and if needed could deal with the "situations" that might arise in a large city.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't there a movie with IceCube in it where they would offer homeless people money to go "hunting" with them?

anyone remember that (lol) -- That would be one way to reduce the homeless population in the area.

(this is a joke -- of course!)

Edited by Daniepwils

Wasn't there a movie with IceCube in it where they would offer homeless people money to go "hunting" with them?

anyone remember that (lol) -- That would be one way to reduce the homeless population in the area.

(this is a joke -- of course!)

:lol: Surviving the Game. I had to look it up.

• The title was changed to Downtown TIRZ