Vodafone ad filmed downtown

ricco67

While driving down Louisiana in Downtown, I noticed a Detour was set up on Saturday (they were set up at Louisiana near Capital or Texas), at first I thought it was some sort of festival I didn't know about and turned towards Allen Parkway, when I noticed there wasn't any activity on bagby or I was curious, but too distracted to complete my errand.

This morning, I was driving the same route and this time I noticed LIGHTS(!) and what appeared to be cameras, I tried getting a bit closer, but the way the detours were set up, I couldn't get closer. On my 2nd pass, all I saw was a bunch of cars and some crowds moving in cue. Figured they were filming a car commercial or something.

Anyone have a clue?

There are at least 2 films being made here. One is being done in near Scott street/45 area. (Don't know what movie) and another way up in near Conroe. The cast is both old and new known names. The one up north was actually needing extras and willing to pay. Not sure how much but who cares, kind of far though.

I was walking through downtown yesterday afternoon, and just decided to ignore the barricades and act like I belonged there. I walked right through, no one stopped me, but I never did see a sign or anything to tell me what was being filmed. The did have some teenagers there on BMX bikes, with a little practice ramp, which led me to believe it may be some sort of bike movie.

I was walking through downtown yesterday afternoon, and just decided to ignore the barricades and act like I belonged there. I walked right through, no one stopped me, but I never did see a sign or anything to tell me what was being filmed.

That is the best way to do it. Just walk in. Being a goody two shoes won't get you anywhere. When I lived in LA I always would see filming anywhere, anytime, anyplace. If I had spare time I would barge in or act like I lived nearby. If not, I never would have met celebs or got to know the behind the scenes action.(mingle with extras, etc) Boy, do I miss that fun. Houston will never compare. Sorry folks! its true. :)

There are at least 2 films being made here. One is being done in near Scott street/45 area. (Don't know what movie) and another way up in near Conroe.

Also partially filmed in Conroe was this one:

51NZGFSY3JL._SS500_.jpg

I got to watch some filming and met a couple of the stars.

Also partially filmed in Conroe was this one:

51NZGFSY3JL._SS500_.jpg

I got to watch some filming and met a couple of the stars.

That looks like it is going to be quite good!

Below is the ad I got but it may be too late, oh no! :blink:

Crew Call

Second Wind Productions is looking for a Key Grip and 10 grips for "The Man Who Came Back," starring Eric Braeden (Victor on The Young & The Restless), George Kennedy, and other LA and Houston area actors. Filming will be 4 weeks, beginning April 17 in Montgomery, TX (near Lake Conroe) and at The Alamo Village at Brackettville, TX. Director is Glen Pitre. Pay is moderate--great opportunity to expand.

The 'movie' being filmed at the corner of Rusk and Louisiana was a television commercial for Vodafone, and is scheduled to be shown only in its German market. I was employed by Southwest Casting as one of the extras over the weekend.

Here's the storyline: a young man is standing within a group of people, waiting to cross the street in a busy city. He opens his cellphone, and someone looks down at and starts singing "He's got the whole world, in his hand...he's got the whole wide world in his hand.." Then a very large black woman standing next to him goes full-gospel with the song: "He's got shopping and music, in his hand, he's got information in his hand, he's got the whole world in his hand." Oh yes, lordy.

The others find themselves unable to resist, and unwillingly (at first) join in. Soon they're caught up in the spirit, and passersby start to notice. Cars stop, drivers stare then run to join in. Bicyclists jump cars, skateboarders dodge through traffic. A hybrid Metro bus filled with flight attendants stops and they join in. Soon, the young man is lifted on the hands of the adoring crowd, their hero because of this wonderful telephone in his grasp. Then he closes the phone.

Abruptly, the crowd drops him in the middle of the street, and go back about their business.

It will take a sharp eye to recognize the setting as being downtown Houston. Most people will probably assume it's NYC because of the hot dog carts and pretzel stands that were brought in as props. Although it won't be shown in the US market, it almost certainly will be on IMDB, etc.

Maybe BMW commercial? I know a couple of weeks ago they were filming one on Louisiana and Leeland by the Enron ring area.

Nothing national, probably some local footage for Momentum or Advantage.

Maybe BMW commercial? I know a couple of weeks ago they were filming one on Louisiana and Leeland by the Enron ring area.

Nothing national, probably some local footage for Momentum or Advantage.

Is this something you know, or are we speculating here?

After all, if the German telecom companies come to Houston to make their ads, why shouldn't their auto makers?

I had been wanting to describe a moment of filming here in Houston on Haif but never got around to it. I may as well place it here. Maybe we could have a topic as "Scenes of movies that were cut" while being filmed here?

When the sequal to Terms of Endearment was being filmed here, "The Evening Star" several years ago, I worked in the Pzl Place bldg 6th floor. When we arrived one summer morning the area around the Jones Hall was completely blocked by the movie trucks, crew, equipment. Lousiana had been tranformed to appear as New York (unreal) and in the winter time. The street had real crushed snowed filled all around, fake vendors, newspaper stands, a subway sign and the traffic were all extras with mainly yellow cabs all NY licences plates. All the extras wore heavy fur coats. We could see all above on the northwest corner of our office. Everytime they yelled "action" throught the megaphone, the traffic started moving and the ones being filmed exited Jones Hall to the waiting cab. That went on for hours, over and over. I couldnt wait to see it once the film opened. Guess what, It was deleted. It never made it on screen. Imagine all that time, trouble and $ and it was cut. :wacko: I read later that they thought it was too long already and wasnt too important to the story. I could barf.

The 'movie' being filmed at the corner of Rusk and Louisiana was a television commercial for Vodafone, and is scheduled to be shown only in its German market. I was employed by Southwest Casting as one of the extras over the weekend.

Here's the storyline: a young man is standing within a group of people, waiting to cross the street in a busy city. He opens his cellphone, and someone looks down at and starts singing "He's got the whole world, in his hand...he's got the whole wide world in his hand.." Then a very large black woman standing next to him goes full-gospel with the song: "He's got shopping and music, in his hand, he's got information in his hand, he's got the whole world in his hand." Oh yes, lordy.

The others find themselves unable to resist, and unwillingly (at first) join in. Soon they're caught up in the spirit, and passersby start to notice. Cars stop, drivers stare then run to join in. Bicyclists jump cars, skateboarders dodge through traffic. A hybrid Metro bus filled with flight attendants stops and they join in. Soon, the young man is lifted on the hands of the adoring crowd, their hero because of this wonderful telephone in his grasp. Then he closes the phone.

Abruptly, the crowd drops him in the middle of the street, and go back about their business.

It will take a sharp eye to recognize the setting as being downtown Houston. Most people will probably assume it's NYC because of the hot dog carts and pretzel stands that were brought in as props. Although it won't be shown in the US market, it almost certainly will be on IMDB, etc.

Absolutely right -- I spoke with one of those associated with the production. With all the extras, hot dog carts, etc., they were purposely trying to give it a NYC feel.

Absolutely right -- I spoke with one of those associated with the production. With all the extras, hot dog carts, etc., they were purposely trying to give it a NYC feel.

Hot Dog Carts and Pretzel Stands, hey Houston ..sound like a plan????

what i loved was the fact that i was driving to work and saw the sign for the "rusk st deli" and was excited because i thought it was a new lunch spot right next to my building. it was elaborate, complete with the combo meal signs, fancy boards, everything. then sure enough, its not real. today i saw they were usnig the chase building in the backdrop and had a "hotel" sign on it instead. i did see the black woman there and there was a fake cop in the scene too.

what i loved was the fact that i was driving to work and saw the sign for the "rusk st deli" and was excited because i thought it was a new lunch spot right next to my building. it was elaborate, complete with the combo meal signs, fancy boards, everything. then sure enough, its not real. today i saw they were usnig the chase building in the backdrop and had a "hotel" sign on it instead. i did see the black woman there and there was a fake cop in the scene too.

You weren't the only one - several passersby tried to enter the "Rusk St. Deli" and were rather disappointed, because it was the only place that appeared to be open in downtown on the weekend!

Be sure to glance at topic under "Crater Houston" Destroy GRB. We discussed quite a bit about other films especially Robocop. Yep we were Detroit's stand in?, which doesnt say much about pride. :wacko:

A little off topic, but I turned it on an old rerun (circa 1996) of "Beverly Hills, 90210" last night on SoapNet and Steve and his girlfriend Claire were supposed to be at an airport in Houston. Some generic airport I guess. Their flight was delayed because of bad weather. About a third of the extras were wearing cowboy hats. It was ridiculously hilarious. And of course the blonde woman employee had herself a big ol' accent. I remember there being quite a few references to Houston throughout "90210's" run. One of the writers must have been from Houston.

A little off topic, but I turned it on an old rerun (circa 1996) of "Beverly Hills, 90210" last night on SoapNet and Steve and his girlfriend Claire were supposed to be at an airport in Houston. Some generic airport I guess. Their flight was delayed because of bad weather. About a third of the extras were wearing cowboy hats. It was ridiculously hilarious. And of course the blonde woman employee had herself a big ol' accent. I remember there being quite a few references to Houston throughout "90210's" run. One of the writers must have been from Houston.

LOL, oh man 90210 i remember that show! wasn't one of the guys of 90210 on the latest dancing w/ the stars??

• 3 weeks later...
Guest danax
Here's a
to (one version of) the commercial on YouTube.

And yes, that's me. ;)

Camera hog!

So there's your .15 seconds of fame. Good thing you're tall. Those glasses made you look like that guy from Kraftwerk. Did the Germans give you those?

Archived