Downtown Districts

I happened to get a new street/tunnel map of downtown, and noticed that the districts that were dreamed up a few years ago have changed. The "Shopping District," such as it was, is gone, mainly absorbed into the "Skyline District." The whole east side of downtown, bordered by 59, Leeland, Austin, and Commerce, is no longer a district but is just indicated as "sports and conventions."

How are these "districts" decided? Does something like the "Skyline District" have any real purpose? I've never quite seen the point of trying to designate neighborhoods in non-residential areas.

I happened to get a new street/tunnel map of downtown, and noticed that the districts that were dreamed up a few years ago have changed. The "Shopping District," such as it was, is gone, mainly absorbed into the "Skyline District." The whole east side of downtown, bordered by 59, Leeland, Austin, and Commerce, is no longer a district but is just indicated as "sports and conventions."

How are these "districts" decided? Does something like the "Skyline District" have any real purpose? I've never quite seen the point of trying to designate neighborhoods in non-residential areas.

i think there's a thread on this already...somewhere. and i agree with what's the point?

Edited by musicman

Guest danax

And they still haven't corrected the streets signs on Franklin near MMP that read, "Theatre District". :blink: And then the "St. Joseph's District"...? Districts usually encompass more than 3 blocks, don't they? It's like someone was sitting at a table with a map and a Sharpie and just coming up with stuff.

It was obviously an idea to give DT some instant urban panache, but none of those names have stuck as far as I know. True neighborhood identity and character like these names are attempting to imitate takes time, unless you're willing and able to create an entire area from scratch Disneyland style.

Even the name "Chinatown" never made sense. It was a rip-off of LA's Chinatown fame. Majority of eateries in that area were Vietnamese establishments and still are (the few left). The stores, restaurants, etc. all Vietnamese. Maybe 2% Chinese? Soon this area will vanish as encroaching condo's & townhomes devour any remnant of old Chinatown. Asta' la vista baby!

I can name some I use regularly:

#1 Theater District...umm I guess that's about it.

I usually say north, south, east, and west side of downtown. I occassionly use Historic District when talking about the north side toward the Market Square area.

I spoke to someone who's familiar with this.

The big blue signs - part of the Wayfinding System, which won a national award a couple of years ago - are primarily for people who have no idea where they are, which won't be the case for most HAIFers. Follow the signs, and they'll help you get to where you're going. Do they take you out of your way? Yes, but to fix that, they'd need signs EVERYwhere, and nobody wants that.

On the back of the signs that are up above (but not the big blue signs), the arts community loved the opportunity to display their artwork. Offers more personality to downtown, too. If you don't like the artwork there, just don't look at it. (I thought it was terrifically odd and out of place at first, too.)

The "districts" are meant, also, to help those who aren't familiar with the area.