Time Capsules In Houston

Fez1964

Years ago, I read an article about time capsules and how they are being forgotten and badly documented for future generations. Very often, these buried time capsules get developed over and no one knows of their existence.

Can someone refer me to an inventory of buried time capsules we have around Houston? I know of one buried underneath the sidewalks of Sam Houston Park in downtown that is to be opened, I believe, on July 4, 2076. It was placed there in 1976.

I know of another time capsule in the basement of the Julia Ideson Library building in downtown. I have no details as to when it will be opened.

If no inventory of these Houston time capsules exist, perhaps someone can start a list.

If anyone knows of other time capsules around Houston, let us know about them here.

Years ago, I read an article about time capsules and how they are being forgotten and badly documented for future generations. Very often, these buried time capsules get developed over and no one knows of their existence.

Can someone refer me to an inventory of buried time capsules we have around Houston? I know of one buried underneath the sidewalks of Sam Houston Park in downtown that is to be opened, I believe, on July 4, 2076. It was placed there in 1976.

I know of another time capsule in the basement of the Julia Ideson Library building in downtown. I have no details as to when it will be opened.

If no inventory of these Houston time capsules exist, perhaps someone can start a list.

If anyone knows of other time capsules around Houston, let us know about them here.

There's one at Antioch Missionary Baptist church that was created last year that will be opened at the church's 150th anniversary.

Pine Shadows Elementary in Spring Branch ISD had a 40-year capsule that was opened in 2005. Spring Branch Christian Church opened a 40-year capsule in 2004.

In 2004, the Chronicle reported of a time capsule dating back to the dedication of the Harris County criminal courts building in 1952. It was thought to be lost, but was found and later opened. The article mentioned "an even older time capsule may be found when the Harris County Civil Courts Building undergoes a restoration in 2006." Anyone know what happened to that?

Looking back, I think just about every school in the city has had some type of time capsule in the past.

our fifth grade class buried a time capsule, and i honestly had forgotten about it until i read this thread.

it is somewhere near a playground at Horn Elementary. I think the layout of the open spaces has changed over the years, though, so there maybe be one of those temp trailers on top of it by now :blush:

our fifth grade class buried a time capsule, and i honestly had forgotten about it until i read this thread.

it is somewhere near a playground at Horn Elementary. I think the layout of the open spaces has changed over the years, though, so there maybe be one of those temp trailers on top of it by now :blush:

I'll bet a lot of time capsules are lost beause of things like that. What the world needs is some kind of online time capsule registrar, so future generations will know where to look! :D

I'll bet a lot of time capsules are lost beause of things like that. What the world needs is some kind of online time capsule registrar, so future generations will know where to look! :D

Start it up! That sounds like an awesome idea.

Hey Sevfiv, when were you at Horn? I was there from 1957 to 1960. We had temporary buildings toward the back of the campus - that's where grades 4 through 6 were housed. The class next door to mine painted a map of South America on the wooden floor.

Hey Sevfiv, when were you at Horn? I was there from 1957 to 1960. We had temporary buildings toward the back of the campus - that's where grades 4 through 6 were housed. The class next door to mine painted a map of South America on the wooden floor.

ha! there were temporary buildings then, too. i was there quite a bit later, and elective classes were held in in a few of the buildings adjacent to a playground. i had been by there recently, and things just looked...different (could be because my perspective has changed, too - everything was tiny! :P)

• 1 month later...

I am almost certain about 10 years ago the news did a story on a time capsule being placed right on or next to the sidewalk along Memorial Drive near the little area where you always see police cars parked on the right as you head head west.

City Hall was another location I think? Next to the pool out front. Just guessing.

• 2 months later...

There is nothing more relevant to "Historic Houston" than time capsules. There have been stories about using them to communicate to the future. There have been stories about using them to fleece the public into donating all kinds of valuable artifacts and then stealing them before the capsule is sealed. Horned toads (remember them all over 50s Houston?) have survived decades in them. And some of them have been incorporated into new buildings. Some are small capsules and a few are large time vaults...

I know where two are and I think some of you know where there are more.

1. Early 60s. At the corner of Bellaire and Voss. It was located just off the NW corner, stood off to the side of the entrance to the drive-in, and was about 25 or 30' tall, concrete. After the Sharpstown Drive In Movie folded in the 70s, the time capsule was incorporated into a billboard. Across the street(NE) was the original Fiesta(Globe?). This was the time capsule for Sharpstown Subdivision. Don't know when it supposed to be opened or what was in it. As far as I kow it is still there.

2. SE corner of Buffalo Speedway and Bellaire (Earlier 60s). Don't know much about this one except that it predated Sharpstown Capsule and that it was also concrete, about 20' tall, and was smaller than number 1. They incorporated it into a street lamp the last I saw of it. Un-opened as far as I know.

Time capsules were scheduled to be opened anywhere from 50 to 100 years and the dates were put on the outside or announced during the ceremonies. The list of contents was varied and fascinating.

http://www.oglethorpe.edu/about_us/crypt_o...me_capsules.asp

Edited by jwphillips2

BING BONG ! Million Dollar Idea Subdude. Run with it, before I do.

Well, it would seem that others have thought of this also.

http://www.oglethorpe.edu/about_us/crypt_o...ule_society.asp

Edited by TJones

• 6 months later...

I found this article from 1894 interesting. When they were removing the cornerstone of the old high school building they found a time capsule from 1857. It says when they lay the cornerstone for the new building they will put the documents back.

TIme_Capsule_I_04_06_1894.jpg

Time_Capsule_II_04_06_1894.jpg

Edited by isuredid

I found this article from 1894 interesting. When they were removing the cornerstone of the old high school building they found a time capsule from 1857. It says when they lay the cornerstone for the new building they will put the documents back.

That is incredible!

Maybe you can help us with the Meadowbrook arches mysteries in East End section? Can you find anything even remotely related to that topic?

and yes, again this news clipping is fantastic. :)

• The title was changed to Time Capsules In Houston