Any New TV Shows Being Set in Houston?

citykid09

Any New TV Shows Being Set in Houston?

2007-2008 TV Line Up

The only show that I know of now that is set in Houston is Reba. What others are there and are there any new ones?

"was", Reba is cancelled.

• 1 month later...

That socialite contestant from "The Bachelor" last season got her own reality show pilot, but I haven't seen anything yet about it being picked up as a series. If it does get picked up it will partly be filmed in Houston and L.A.. As for scripted shows, nope. The only scripted show that's currently set in Texas, period, is "Friday Night Lights", but I've never watched it.

citykid09:

It seems very stupid to me that Texas is the 2nd most populated State in the United States and yet the TV Shows we view don't depict that. Do any of you agree with me?

Especially medical dramas. But doctors walking around in ten gallon hats might look dumb.

Odyssey 5 was set here. It's a shame it didn't get a full run. Showtime just killed it midway through.

It seems odd to me that with all the medical shows on TV, not one of them is set in the largest medical center on the planet.

I guess no one agreed with what I said above. All of you should and we should let the networks know that.

Umm...no. You do realize that whenever a Texan gets cast in a role in which it is made known that he/she is from Texas, they absolutely must put on a heavy accent and become the stereotyped charicature that folks outside of Texas think of us as, right? It is just a lame trick that producers put on to create an illusion of the exotic, which helps to build ratings.

The only decent show about Texans is animated, and that is King of the Hill. Insofar as it depicts a lifestyle within a town that I'd imagine is about the size of B/CS, Temple, or Waco, and is located in that broad area the culture that is portrayed usually remains reasonably recognizable. ...but even then, they are still charicatures. Such is the nature of the beast. Frankly, I could go any direction away from Houston and come across a different kind of redneck subculture, each with its own quirks. Go to west Texas or up in the panhandle and its like being in a whole different state as compared to our East/Central variety...but as far as entertainment media is concerned, its pretty much all the same thing.

The only decent show about Texans is animated, and that is King of the Hill. Insofar as it depicts a lifestyle within a town that I'd imagine is about the size of B/CS, Temple, or Waco, and is located in that broad area the culture that is portrayed usually remains reasonably recognizable. ...but even then, they are still charicatures. Such is the nature of the beast. Frankly, I could go any direction away from Houston and come across a different kind of redneck subculture, each with its own quirks. Go to west Texas or up in the panhandle and its like being in a whole different state as compared to our East/Central variety...but as far as entertainment media is concerned, its pretty much all the same thing.

I've only seen "King" a handful of times. It's funny, but I'm glad it's set near Dallas instead of Houston. :lol:

I've only seen "King" a handful of times. It's funny, but I'm glad it's set near Dallas instead of Houston. :lol:

The actual location of 'Arlen' is fictional and could easily be anywhere from Waco down toward Columbus, and then back toward Seguin, given how many countervailing facts they've provided in various episodes.

Actually, the answer is yes.

"Big Medicine" on TLC

It's a surgery-theme show about gastric bypass and associated plastic surgeries (tummy tuck, etc.) It's shot at Methodist and around town. Apparently we're very proud of the trolley -- it's featured in most of the street scenes. Overall the show is just like everything else on TLC -- basically just paid informercials for an industry (home improvement, plastic surgery, clothes, etc....)

The actual location of 'Arlen' is fictional and could easily be anywhere from Waco down toward Columbus, and then back toward Seguin, given how many countervailing facts they've provided in various episodes.

I think it Arlen is supposed to be a suburb of D/FW. Hence the names of the schools -- Tom Landry Middle School and Roger Staubach Elementary School. However, I know there have been other things in the show that make people believe it's in other areas.

I think it Arlen is supposed to be a suburb of D/FW. Hence the names of the schools -- Tom Landry Middle School and Roger Staubach Elementary School. However, I know there have been other things in the show that make people believe it's in other areas.

It is supposedly a 3-hour one-way commute to Houston, is along I-10, is at least near I-35, has a large sausage manufacturing and pork processing operation (which suggests that it's in part of the Czech/German belt), has a community college and a university, has an army base, and is distant enough from Austin or San Antonio that when one travels there, they stay in a hotel. Bear in mind that when the show started airing, Dallas was the only NFL team in the state.

It is supposedly a 3-hour one-way commute to Houston, is along I-10, is at least near I-35, has a large sausage manufacturing and pork processing operation (which suggests that it's in part of the Czech/German belt), has a community college and a university, and is distant enough from Austin or San Antonio that when one travels there, they stay in a hotel. Bear in mind that when the show started airing, Dallas was the only NFL team in the state.

Wherever Arlen is fictionally located, "King of the Hill" is one of the smartest, funniest tv shows on right now. I'm glad they've kept it this long, and I'm hoping for at least a few more years.

Well, one of the creators is from the Dallas area and he based the characters from people he knew around there. So yeah, it's based on north Texas.

In one episode, they developed a rivalry between "North Texas", embodied by Wichita Falls, and "South Texas" embodied by Arlen. I have difficulty thinking of anything north of Temple as ever conceivably being labeled "South Texas".

It is based on a Dallas suburb. The name "Arlen" came from the Dallas suburb of Garland, with the G and D dropped off...hence, Arlen. However, the writers often take artistic license. They use DFW airport, but talk of San Antonio being 80 miles away. They have an Austin ZIP Code. In one episode, they fall asleep while tubing, and end up in the Houston Ship Channel.

Wherever Arlen is fictionally located, "King of the Hill" is one of the smartest, funniest tv shows on right now. I'm glad they've kept it this long, and I'm hoping for at least a few more years.

I try to catch King Of The Hill every afternoon. I just love that show. Especially when Peggy tries to speak spanish. And you just have to love Bobby... "Stop!!.. That's my purse.. I don't know you!!!"

I worked at Sony Studios (the old MGM studios) for more than 10 years. There is no respect for Houston as a film town. The people in Austin have bad mouth the bayou city to the point that must film makers don't even consider filming here, they head for Austin. Don't even try to get money for a great project, it is almost impossible.

I have a friend who has tried for the last several years to sell a movie based on Candance Mossler. The last time I spoke to him he was still trying to line up backers and trying to sell the deal to one of the cable channels. He was totally into the Candace Mossler thing, which I never heard of until he brought in a stack of old newspapers clipping, I can not image why this was never a big Hollywood movie, could it be the Houston location? It had everything, Huge creepy River Oaks mansion with servants spying on everyone, young wife, old husband, nephew sleeping with uncle's wife, adopted kids picked from newspaper story, old man killed off, wife and nephew charged with murder, showcase trail led by Percy Forman, trail ending with young widow kissing all the male jurors who let her off and the best ending in a movie, young widow suffocates herself while asleep. Oh yea! I should call my buddy and become his first backer on this film.

I worked at Sony Studios (the old MGM studios) for more than 10 years. There is no respect for Houston as a film town. The people in Austin have bad mouth the bayou city to the point that must film makers don't even consider filming here, they head for Austin. Don't even try to get money for a great project, it is almost impossible.

I have a friend who has tried for the last several years to sell a movie based on Candance Mossler. The last time I spoke to him he was still trying to line up backers and trying to sell the deal to one of the cable channels. He was totally into the Candace Mossler thing, which I never heard of until he brought in a stack of old newspapers clipping, I can not image why this was never a big Hollywood movie, could it be the Houston location? It had everything, Huge creepy River Oaks mansion with servants spying on everyone, young wife, old husband, nephew sleeping with uncle's wife, adopted kids picked from newspaper story, old man killed off, wife and nephew charged with murder, showcase trail led by Percy Forman, trail ending with young widow kissing all the male jurors who let her off and the best ending in a movie, young widow suffocates herself while asleep. Oh yea! I should call my buddy and become his first backer on this film.

Thats a great story and I never heard of it. No one has answered my question yet. Houston is a top 10 television market in the US and yet the TV we watch does not reflect that. Texas is the 2nd largest state, yet the TV does not reflect that. I did see though the other day a new reality show on the TV Guide Channel based in West Texas about news reporters.

It is based on a Dallas suburb. The name "Arlen" came from the Dallas suburb of Garland, with the G and D dropped off...hence, Arlen. However, the writers often take artistic license. They use DFW airport, but talk of San Antonio being 80 miles away. They have an Austin ZIP Code. In one episode, they fall asleep while tubing, and end up in the Houston Ship Channel.

"end up in the Houston Ship Channel" is very funny. i had no idea this show actually named Texas cities and sites. I thought it was just supposed to have a generic Texas feel. I'll tune in.

I know that Houston is somewhat deserving of positive national media attention (hence not the Enron story, Andrea Yates, Space Shuttle disaster, Crazy Astronaut lady, Hurricane Katrina Evacuees....that could be positive, Rita Evacuations and other crazy news stories concerning Houston), but so many other major markets face the same issue. The fact is that Los Angeles, New York, Austin, and Orlando/Miami (and possibly DC and Chicago) gets more than their fair share of films/shows set or created in their cities because of the friendly incentives the municipalities offer to production companies.

Politically and financially speaking, it is not a wise idea to film or produce in Houston. I have seen many Lifetime and educational shows and movies set in Houston, but that stuff is mostly based on true events.

Talk to City Council rather than the movie execs

Today my mom was watching TV and I noticed that there was an image of Downtown Houston. I asked here what the show was and see did not know, I told her that was downtown Houston and then words came on the screen saying Houston, Texas. I looked on the TV guide channel and its a movie on Lifetime called "Fighting The Odds" Its about a former patrol office who helps kids who have parents in jail. It takes place at Smiley High School. If you turn to Lifetime now its still on.

Thats a great story and I never heard of it. No one has answered my question yet. Houston is a top 10 television market in the US and yet the TV we watch does not reflect that. Texas is the 2nd largest state, yet the TV does not reflect that. I did see though the other day a new reality show on the TV Guide Channel based in West Texas about news reporters.

It's because the advertisers, the advertising buyers, the producers, the promoters, and the rest of the industry is very East and West-coast based.

There are some flaws to your logic, though.

Sure, Texas is the second largest state. By that logic, the majority of TV shows should be set in Alaska.

Yes, Houston is (only recently) a top 10 market. By your logic, that means there should be many more shows on TV about Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, and Dallas.

Texas and Houston get a lot of respect in the industries they are strong in -- energy, aerospace, and agriculture.

New York and L.A. get a lot of respect in the industries they are strong in -- media, finance, and tourism.

People have to learn not to base their self-worth of the worth of where they live on what they see on TV.

It's because the advertisers, the advertising buyers, the producers, the promoters, and the rest of the industry is very East and West-coast based.

Sure, Texas is the second largest state. By that logic, the majority of TV shows should be set in Alaska.

Yes, Houston is (only recently) a top 10 market. By your logic, that means there should be many more shows on TV about Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, and Dallas.

Texas and Houston get a lot of respect in the industries they are strong in -- energy, aerospace, and agriculture.

New York and L.A. get a lot of respect in the industries they are strong in -- media, finance, and tourism.

People have to learn not to base their self-worth of the worth of where they live on what they see on TV.

Right on, but media and tourism just seem so much sexier, I mean more interesting than agriculture and energy.

I know that Texas is the second largest state, but what I meant was it is the 2nd largest in population. Either way its 2nd in size and population.

FYI: California is 3rd in size and 1st in population.

Archived