Produce Row At 3129 Produce Row

I am not certain what the area (neighborhood) around the old produce row is called. I hope some of you may recall what Produce Row was all about. If you drive down OST and Winkler (I think) you see a Fire Station, keep driving west and see a bridge for the train, follow signs or trucks to "produce row". There was a Schepps Dairy factory there too. This was or still is a very industrial area. My brother worked there for a short time as a truck driver for one of many business tucked in the back there. This is the only place I know where you couls still buy Christmas trees right off the trucks as they bring them in "fresh". This area is so busy they even had a tiny Motel for truckers that needed to rest ( :ph34r::lol: ).

This place was the equal or rival of Farmer's Market off of N Main. Most people are unaware it is even there. I havent been there myself in a long time but need to check it out. They may still sell Xmas trees and real cheap too. They have everything from watermelons to potatos.

This is a real Telephone Road mind jogger I know. :D

This place was the equal or rival of Farmer's Market off of N Main. Most people are unaware it is even there. I havent been there myself in a long time but need to check it out. They may still sell Xmas trees and real cheap too. They have everything from watermelons to potatos.

this is where we used to go too but someone here said they didn't sell to public. but i remember going there.

I remember the place very well. My Great Aunt and Uncle lived right off Braodmoor on Pearson for many years, and Uncle Jake as we all called him worked for over fourty years for Houston Belt and Terminal Railroad. He was a Lead Forman on the track crews and was swinging a hammer and pick axe right up to the day he retired at the age of 65. He was probably the strongest man I have ever known in my life and even at sixty five could out work men in their twenties. As a kid I spent a lot of time with my Aunt as she took care of me while my parents worked. Her and Uncle Jake adopted four kids and were foster parents for Harris County for over fourty years. Many a day I rode with Aunt Gladys to drop off or pick up Uncle Jake at Produce Row because that was the maintainence facility for HBT RR. They met there every day before heading out to different sections to work. We would pick him up every day at 5 when he got off work. Aunt Gladys had so many mouths to feed she got the best deals she could on food wherever she could get them. We would go to produce row for vegetables and fruit, a family owned meat market on Long Drive just off Telephone for meat, and she bought all her cakes and baked goods at the Dinner Bell bakery. This was during the sixties.

I remember the place very well. My Great Aunt and Uncle lived right off Braodmoor on Pearson for many years, and Uncle Jake as we all called him worked for over fourty years for Houston Belt and Terminal Railroad. He was a Lead Forman on the track crews and was swinging a hammer and pick axe right up to the day he retired at the age of 65. He was probably the strongest man I have ever known in my life and even at sixty five could out work men in their twenties. As a kid I spent a lot of time with my Aunt as she took care of me while my parents worked. Her and Uncle Jake adopted four kids and were foster parents for Harris County for over fourty years. Many a day I rode with Aunt Gladys to drop off or pick up Uncle Jake at Produce Row because that was the maintainence facility for HBT RR. They met there every day before heading out to different sections to work. We would pick him up every day at 5 when he got off work. Aunt Gladys had so many mouths to feed she got the best deals she could on food wherever she could get them. We would go to produce row for vegetables and fruit, a family owned meat market on Long Drive just off Telephone for meat, and she bought all her cakes and baked goods at the Dinner Bell bakery. This was during the sixties.

I guess I should have asked my dad about it. He must know it inside out. He drove for Roadway Express all during the 60's and early 70's until retiring. The guard shack has been there for a long time but I imagine they only let people enter during Christmas now to buy trees? Of course all may have changed since 9/11?

Schepps Dairy was one of the biggest outfits as you enter. I am not even sure if they still operate out of there? I do recall that meat market on Long Drive too. I think it was near the little Rainbo Bakery store where the always had FRESH bread. I can smell it now. :D

Produce Row is still there, however, some of the larger produce houses have moved off of the Row. I don't think many of the businesses there, if any, will sell small quantities to the public. They just aren't set up that way. At least, if they do, they may require you to buy case quantities. Your best bet for fresh produce is the Airline Produce market.

for those of you that don't know where it is:

-link removed-

the last time i was up there, seems like there was a guard shack keeping the general public out.

Please don't post links to Live.com. Use Google Maps or Yahoo! Maps instead. The Live web site does not work with a large portion of the visitors to this site.

Please don't post links to Live.com. Use Google Maps or Yahoo! Maps instead. The Live web site does not work with a large portion of the visitors to this site.

just cuious why the link doesn't work for some? it works fine for me in firefox.

i have seen it posted here in other threads with no complaint of it not working.

am i missing something?

I am not certain what the area (neighborhood) around the old produce row is called. I hope some of you may recall what Produce Row was all about. If you drive down OST and Winkler (I think) you see a Fire Station, keep driving west and see a bridge for the train, follow signs or trucks to "produce row". There was a Schepps Dairy factory there too. This was or still is a very industrial area. My brother worked there for a short time as a truck driver for one of many business tucked in the back there. This is the only place I know where you couls still buy Christmas trees right off the trucks as they bring them in "fresh". This area is so busy they even had a tiny Motel for truckers that needed to rest ( :ph34r::lol: ).

My moms old boyfriend from back in the sixties works on Produce Row and has for years. He works for Brothers Produce. They supply most of our restuarants with their produce. Last week he had to work overtime because of mothers day being one of their biggest days of the year. Everyone takes mom out to eat.

• The title was changed to Produce Row At 3129 Produce Row

Archived