An effort to preserve "Texas German."

editor

I wish there was something more that could be done to preserve the language through the local schools.

Maybe German classes in Texas schools can have "Texas German" in the curriculum - It's the same concept as learning the differences between Germany German, Austrian German, Swiss German, etc.

• 9 months later...

First, we need to get the food right.

I grew up, went to high school in small Texas town, heavily German/Czech. It is one thing to preserve a language, but when people can no longer tell the difference between a kolache and a sausage wrapped biscuit ("pig-in-the-blanket" or sausage roll), I am afraid there is no hope, for the language, or people who consume german/czech food and have no idea what they are eating.

I have noticed people at work calling this a kolache:

250px-American_pigs_in_blankets.jpg

WRONG. Below are kolaches (which appear to be sitting on top of sasuage rolls):

platter.jpg

Do you want to know why people at work are so mixed up about this? Because everywhere they go to buy "kolaches," they are sold sausage rolls. So not only do people at work not get it, neither do most places that sell the stuff. I am truly amazed at how many places have this so wrong.

My theory... is that someone, while traveling to Houston (or other big cities), on I-10 stopped for breakfast along the way in a small Texas (German/Czech) town and picked up some kolaches and pigs-in-the-blanket - because breakfast places sell both (where I am from). Yum! Let's sell this in the city! But people then got confused and started calling everything kolache, even though they could not be more wrong.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/texasczech/ko...a%20kolache.htm

A kolache is a wonderful pastry made by those who are of Czech ancestry.

The following are descriptions of kolache from books about the Czech Texans:

"T
he Czech people are famous for their pastries, one of which is the
kolache
...The fillings--poppyseed, pineapple, apricot, cottage cheese and prune are prepared before baking. No one uses a recipe.
Kolaches
are made from a formula handed down from generation to generation in Czech families."

(
The Texians and the Texans: The Texas Czechs,
University of Texas, Institute of Texas Cultures at San Antonio, page 31);

A
nd,

"
T
oday, the only Czech word that many Texans know is
kol

FWIW, Czechs in Chicago (especially those who live near the Bohemian National Cemetery) pronounce it "Ko-lahch-key." It kind of drives me nuts because I always grew up with the "ko-lahch-ee" pronunciation. I think it might be some crossover from the Polish "poonch-key" which is sold all over, especially on Punchki Day, a Polish holiday (properly known as Casamir Kluzinski Day (spelled really poorly, sorry)) for which the public schools are closed.

First, we need to get the food right.

I grew up, went to high school in small Texas town, heavily German/Czech. It is one thing to preserve a language, but when people can no longer tell the difference between a kolache and a sausage wrapped biscuit ("pig-in-the-blanket" or sausage roll), I am afraid there is no hope, for the language, or people who consume german/czech food and have no idea what they are eating.

I have noticed people at work calling this a kolache:

250px-American_pigs_in_blankets.jpg

WRONG. Below are kolaches (which appear to be sitting on top of sasuage rolls):

platter.jpg

Do you want to know why people at work are so mixed up about this? Because everywhere they go to buy "kolaches," they are sold sausage rolls. So not only do people at work not get it, neither do most places that sell the stuff. I am truly amazed at how many places have this so wrong.

My theory... is that someone, while traveling to Houston (or other big cities), on I-10 stopped for breakfast along the way in a small Texas (German/Czech) town and picked up some kolaches and pigs-in-the-blanket - because breakfast places sell both (where I am from). Yum! Let's sell this in the city! But people then got confused and started calling everything kolache, even though they could not be more wrong.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/texasczech/ko...a%20kolache.htm

A kolache is a wonderful pastry made by those who are of Czech ancestry.

The following are descriptions of kolache from books about the Czech Texans:

"T
he Czech people are famous for their pastries, one of which is the
kolache
...The fillings--poppyseed, pineapple, apricot, cottage cheese and prune are prepared before baking. No one uses a recipe.
Kolaches
are made from a formula handed down from generation to generation in Czech families."

(
The Texians and the Texans: The Texas Czechs,
University of Texas, Institute of Texas Cultures at San Antonio, page 31);

A
nd,

"
T
oday, the only Czech word that many Texans know is
kol

• 5 months later...

hi everyone from pa dutch country...thanks for all the pictures of kolaches (my favorite are poppyseed and cheese - both of my grandma's were excellent making them) and for pictures of the sausage and 'Q...i always have to bring back sausage when i've come home, and i've learned to make my own 'Q...people here in yankee land ain't quite got it right yet...i really get homesick looking through this site...one of these days i'll probably move me and the horses back to Texas, but that's for God to determine when...

anyway everyone, if kolaches are the fruit "pastries" (ever try to explain a what a "kolache" is to a pa dutch? ain't easy!

what are the "sausage rolls - pigs" called in Czech?

also, the crumbly stuff on top of a kolache has a name too...know what it is?

it's made with flour, butter, and sugar...

lynda :blink:

hi everyone from pa dutch country...thanks for all the pictures of kolaches (my favorite are poppyseed and cheese - both of my grandma's were excellent making them) and for pictures of the sausage and 'Q...i always have to bring back sausage when i've come home, and i've learned to make my own 'Q...people here in yankee land ain't quite got it right yet...i really get homesick looking through this site...one of these days i'll probably move me and the horses back to Texas, but that's for God to determine when...

anyway everyone, if kolaches are the fruit "pastries" (ever try to explain a what a "kolache" is to a pa dutch? ain't easy!

what are the "sausage rolls - pigs" called in Czech?

lynda :blink:

Klobasnek not be confused with Kolache.

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! I know! I know!

I found that out at Weikel's Bakery in LaGrange. That stuff on top is called "Delicious"!

The filling has a name, too. It's called "Scrumptious"!

And an order of a half dozen kolaches is called "Guttenbuster".

In 1856, the Bastrop Military Institute was established. In order to make the name sound more respectable, the name was changer to the Texas Military Institute in 1868. The school was relocated to Austin 1870, and in that same year, the “TMI Castle was built at 1111 West 11th Street in Austin, and is still there today.

TMI formally closed in 1880. From 1884 until 1887, the TMI Castle was the site of Jacob Bicklers Texas German and English Academy. The academy operated from 1876-1902. I found this school while doing a search for my relatives who immigrated from Germany to Texas, probably in the 1860s, but don’t have an accurate date

The Web page I found above has a list of students who attended. Imagine my surprise when I found not only my grandmother, but also my great grandfather and some of his siblings listed there.

I don’t remember my great grandmother, who was alive at my birth. I know she was born in Germany, and of course spoke German. My grandmother would use some German phrases occasionally, as did my dad (Got en himmel!), but I don’t think Daddy spoke or even knew much of the language.

This thread was about preserving “Texas German”. I would imagine a good reason the language did not survive any better was because of WWII, when people of German heritage tried to disassociate themselves from Hitler’s Germany. It is a fact that before the war, US Germans looked upon Hitler almost as a god, just as people in Germany did. But the war quickly changed those living here.

My family, the Wolfs and the Waechters, came from the Oder River area of eastern Germany, now a part of Poland. Being German Jews, I imagine they cut their ties sooner than many others did.

I had a father-in-law that was one of VonBraun's rocket scientists that came to the US

in Operation Paperclip. Papa didn't like to talk much about the "old days". You would have thought their lives only began once they arrived at White Sands.

although lots of German was spoken and lots of German music was played...

I know the answer to that question, but I won't give it. You see, I got the answer straight from the horse's mouth - uh, I mean the horse person's mouth.

I know the answer to that question, but I won't give it. You see, I got the answer straight from the horse's mouth - uh, I mean the horse person's mouth.

whatever the chzeck translation is for "flour, butter, and sugar..."??? You're killing us!!!

So, Ms Misplaced, that would make it two kolaches, right?

if in Texas, yes if in Czech-land no (no s on the end, and this keyboard can't put a '

just misplaced, no ms

bs sometimes, but no ms (never did sound right to me)

is slovaceks still in snook? when i was little, it seemed like i was kin to about everyone there...my paternal grandma was born there

Yes Slovacek's is still in Snook. My Uncle married into that family, and everybody is just about kin in Snook. The Slovacek's, the Ondrasek's, and the Skirvanek's are all kinfolk. Talk about a great family reunion to attend. There are some great eats at those bohunks get togethers.

Anybody know any Gerkes is Snook?

I never knew Calvin Gerke, and unfortunately I never got to see him in action, but his name will be in my mind until the day I die.

Calvin played basketball for Snook in the mid 60s, and was their big man back then. Snook was a Class B school, and they regularly beat 4A teams (highest class), including Houston Jones who I believe went all the way to the state finals that year.

I would venture to say that the

Calvin Gerke was a forward for the Blue Jays and held scoring records up until 1983, Snook has won 23 State Championships, not many have ever won half as many and none have won more than 16. Snook Girls Basketball won like 8 titles in the 50's, six in a row one time. The Ondrasek girls, (there were 10 sisters) dominated Texas High school basketball back then. They live and breathe round ball in Snook.

i had 2nd cousins last name Junek that played b-ball back in the 60's...some of them probably played at the same time as the one H2B refers to...there really wasn't much to do around snook back then...i know snook played in a lot of state championships

i remember going to slovaceks and getting nickle ice cream cones...Blue Bell, what else?

and the big glass case with all the candy...they used to make some good Q in the back

i haven't heard anyone refer to Czechs as bohonks in a long time...that's funny

i guess its the short version of "bohemian"

my uncle had a place about 5 miles from snook...we would all go sit out in the yard back then and late at night you could hear cougars screaming...a few times they had bear come to the cabin, and one night one was looking in the window and scared the fool out of my grandpa...they said he'd had too much pevo but there were scratches on the wall around the window the next morning :o

H2B did i get it right about the kolach? i hope i hope i hope

Daddy used to use the term bohunk often. My uncle belonged to the Sons of Herman on Heights near Washington, and Daddy would always ask him about his bohunk buddies. However, he didn't use the term in a derrogatory manner at all.

Bohunk is used in everyday language in Burleson County. So don't rake me over the coals too bad, about it's offensiveness. Snook is referred to as the "The Bohunk Capital of the U.S.". There are those old country Czech's that claim to be Bohemian, and then there are those that claim to be Moravian. It had to do with Church affiliation mostly. There were some Czechs that were Lutheran, some of them were Catholic, which most certainly were referred to as Bohemians, then came the Moravians, that despised the Catholic ways, and were hard-shell Protestant. Most Moravians ended up share croppers to the Italians in Burleson County. The family names like Scamardo, Ruffino, Campisi, Destephano, Varisco, and so on, are the big land owners in the area, because they were Catholic, and that was a prerequisite to getting a Spanish Land Grant back in those days. The Moravians, refused to convert, thus were left out, and ended up working as share croppers for the larger land owners. So when you end up picking Cotton for a penny a pound to make a living, times get tough, and at times you're looked down in a socially. You kinda just have to grow up in the area to understand it clearly. It's a strange bunch. It's funny in a way, because the Catholic Bohemians refer to the Moravians as "Bohunks" to piss them off, because most of there means were pretty meager, being that they were mainly share croppers. And the Moravians referred to the Catholic Bohemians as "Bohunks" because they were going to Purgatory, because of there ways. It gets complicated and down right comical at times.

Now the further West you head towards Austin, you get into the German Colonies, but around Snook, it's Little Bohemia straight up. They Still hold the annual Kolache Festival in Caldwell. And if you get around the old folks still left in Snook, they still speak Czech primarily. Lucille "Maw maw" Slovacek (Uncle John's mother) spoke nothing but Czech, especially when she was mad at you. There still is one big German family, that I am pretty close to, that are big land holders in Burleson County, the Giesenschlags. I put many many wells on that place. They had been screwed around by Standard Oil, on their leases, and Adolph Giesenschlag, swore off all the oil companies back in the 30's. Well our Land man at Texaco came into my office and asked if I'd give it a go, and go talk to this man in Snook about leasing his property for drilling in the Austin Chalk Trend, because he wouldn't even let them by the gate. Well being a local boy, they thought I might be able to reason with him. It was one of those, they new my Grandfather and father kinda deals. And after some doing, I landed them a sweet royalty on their land that made them the richest family in Burleson County, not that they were hurting anyway, they owned 12 sections of land. Needless to say we drilled 80 something wells on their place that averaged 3000 bbls/day each for years, and still produce several hundred a day each, 30 years later. Everybody was happy and it was a big feather in my cap with the company.

Somebody mentioned the Junek's, man one of the Junek's have a great little BBQ joint out on Wellborn Road, just before Koppe Bridge. Man they have great Potato Salad. Use to be a lot of Junek's down near Clay Station (now they just call it Clay) and Independence.

• 4 months later...
ok i'm hungry now. off to the original kolache shoppe on telephone.

My grandmother used to bring us those good "what-ever you want to call 'ems" from there (she brought us both kinds, always called them all kolaches). :o:P The Kolache Shoppe, another landmark from the one & only "Telephone Road".

My grandmother used to bring us those good "what-ever you want to call 'ems" from there (she brought us both kinds, always called them all kolaches). :o:P The Kolache Shoppe, another landmark from the one & only "Telephone Road".

my stomach highly recommends their various fruit kolaches and their sausage klebasi (or whatever you want to call them). they don't use the cocktail weenies like most places do. they use the real mccoy.

sidenote: if you want something specific, call them and she (or her sons) will put a fresh order together for you. at anytime, they only make a small batch to ensure that you get fresh items.

A little closer to the original topic...anyone here know anything about the Texas Wendish? I found out recently (1-2 years back) that my family is part Wendish (also known as "Sorbians".) For reasons unknown, my grandfather never talked about his family, but he's been opening up over the last year or two. As he did, my Mom's been doing some genealogical research. Come to find out, my grandfather is 1/4 Wendish.

The Wends were actually immigrants to Texas from Prussia in the 1850's. They lived in Germany but did not share the same culture, language or religion. Due to religious and cultural oppression, many Wends left Germany and settled in Central Texas (another group of Wends settled in Australia). Over time, the Wends intermarried with Germans in Central Texas and the culture and language were lost.

I haven't been, but the Texas Wendish Heritage Society Museum is in Serbin, Texas: http://wendish.concordia.edu/

There is an effort to save the Wendish language as well.

Archived