The Battle Of Glenbrook

It would be great if there were snapshots of some of the homes. We always loved cruising around and awing at the split level and F Lloyd Wright looking homes. Another hidden treasure of Houston. Although a small hood but sadly sorrounded by well...welcome to the club.

The article is like going in so many directions its not clear what the point is.

I've been really enjoying Lisa's new column. Much better than that sourpuss Rick Casey! The only thing I take issue with is her recent column about air conditioning. In many institutional buildings, temperature control is achieved by modulation of hot and chilled water. When that is the case, within reason, temperature setpoints do not have that big of an effect on energy use, unlike with people's home air conditioners. Also, most people are comfortable within a surprisingly small range of temperatures -- like within a degree F or so. Sometimes they will be a little more tolerant of coolish temps if they don't feel air moving, or warmish temps if they do feel air moving. Also, since codes require some outside air exchange, outside air temperature makes a big difference. I could go on about this ad nauseaum, but the simplest answer is that buildings are set cold because it's more practical to add layers of clothing than it is to remove them.

To Robert's way of thinking, Glenbrook Valley is beginning to reclaim that glory. Driving through the neighborhood, he points proudly to mod houses he's sold to "the creative class" in the last two years: an artist and an arts administrator here, lawyers there, a NASA scientist in the one whose glass wall faces the bayou. They're former Inner Loopers, he brags, "defectors" from neighborhoods like Montrose, the Heights and Oak Forest.

This women is all over the place, trying so hard to point out the neighborhood racist, that she forgot to look on a map and check to see that Oak Forest is NOT INSIDE THE LOOP.

So besides fingering a homophobic racist who lives in the neighborhood, what was the point of the story again?

she forgot to look on a map and check to see that Oak Forest is NOT INSIDE THE LOOP.

I lived in Garden Oaks and then in neighboring Oak Forest for several years. The realtors commonly include these neighborhoods in their "inside the loop" configuration. They say they folks there have "inside the loop" demographics, and the boundaries touch the loop, so they often lump them in.

This women is all over the place, trying so hard to point out the neighborhood racist, that she forgot to look on a map and check to see that Oak Forest is NOT INSIDE THE LOOP.

Not to mention that nobody seems to be "defecting" from Oak Forest! I'd kind of think of it as the other way around.

So besides fingering a homophobic racist who lives in the neighborhood, what was the point of the story again?

the point of the story was to note changing demographics in an area outside of the loop. i don't think she was making the neighborhood out to be racist, but she may have made a mistake using an oddball like t. c. burton to prove her point.

i enjoyed the article. it made me want to check out glenbrook. i believe the article served its purpose.

Outside of the poorly run townhome/condo property on the western edge of Broadway and the skanky apartment complexes on either side of Broadway between Bellfort and Rock Hill (I don't count the Harold Farb property as part of this group, as it seems that property is still decent comparatively speaking), Glenbrook is a pretty decent area, IMO. It's just a shame that it has two or three sore thumbs sticking out that might distract visitors from the quality of the housing stock surrounding them.

One of my favorite houses in the city is on Glencrest about a block south (or half-block south) of Santa Elena.

By the by, the Santa Rosa community is underrated IMO, as well.

Outside of the poorly run townhome/condo property on the western edge of Broadway and the skanky apartment complexes on either side of Broadway between Bellfort and Rock Hill (I don't count the Harold Farb property as part of this group, as it seems that property is still decent comparatively speaking), Glenbrook is a pretty decent area, IMO. It's just a shame that it has two or three sore thumbs sticking out that might distract visitors from the quality of the housing stock surrounding them.

One of my favorite houses in the city is on Glencrest about a block south (or half-block south) of Santa Elena.

By the by, the Santa Rosa community is underrated IMO, as well.

Agree big time, we have lusted over the homes and beautiful landscaping for years. Now those skanky apts you mentioned are what makes passerbys think the whole area is funky. Crater Houston all the way!

This is a very underrated cluster of beauty for sure.

Someone please snap some photos for all of the gang to see. :)

I would but I dont have a digital camera.

Agree big time, we have lusted over the homes and beautiful landscaping for years. Now those skanky apts you mentioned are what makes passerbys think the whole area is funky. Crater Houston all the way!

This is a very underrated cluster of beauty for sure.

Someone please snap some photos for all of the gang to see. :)

I would but I dont have a digital camera.

photo gallery

plus a few others I have

SantaElaina7911frt.jpg

6f55ee58.jpg

98a2d6d6.jpg

and of course Stolitx's swankienda

DSCN0147.jpg

SantaElaina7911frt.jpg

This one just sold for about $290K a few months ago, IIRC. I remember seeing it listed at HAR and then sold less than a month later.

As a matter of fact it did just sell recently, to someone moving from Oak Forest. B)

As a matter of fact it did just sell recently, to someone moving from Oak Forest. B)

Hilarious!

Glenbrook is great. My wife and just moved from the inner-loop and couldn't be happier. Kudos to RPS and all the others who work so hard to maintain the appeal of the neighborhood.

I moved from Oak Forest to Glenbrook Valley about a month ago. I never thought I'd end up on the Southeast side of town, but when I saw the house of my dreams up for sale I had no choice. Oak Forest was great and I loved living there....but in Oak Forest I could never get a Mid-Century Mod designed by an Architect, 3400 square feet, sunken living room, built on a hill, glass walls, 17000 sq ft lot, interior brick walls, private balcony for master bedroom, mechanical room (which is scarey), upstairs party room with a boomerang bar and stage.

I've been pleasantly surprised about the close drive into Downtown, Montrose, and River Oaks from Glenbrook. I've also found some very good restaurants. It's great driving around the neighborhood just to look at the "mods". Much of the surrounding area is rundown (Park Place, Telephone Rd., Apmts on Broadway)....but no more run down than 34th Street, 43rd Street, Shepherd north of 610, Antoine, and Ella.

Again...I loved Oak Forest. But.....every house had 4 SUV's and there was no where to park them..therefore every street looks like a parking lot. In my Oak Forest house I could hear the neighbors ice maker when they used it. Admitted I can hear Gulf Freeway from my Glenbrook house, but it's no more disturbing than North Loop that I heard in Oak Forest.

Every neighborhood has it's benefits and drawbacks.....and based on 1 months residency in Glenbrook Valley I can safely say that I love it. Take a drive down Santa Elena, Glen Valley, Glencrest, Colgate, Glen Forest, Dover, Glendell Ct, etc....and if you have any MCM sensibilty...you'll love it too !

Congrats to both Lisa and Robert on an article which will open many eyes. Sometimes we HAIFers forget that not everyone is as consumed with architecture, city planning, neighborhoods etc. as we.

Ms Gray seems to have come under fire for her mention of T. C. Burton. I think anyone interested in the neighborhood would wonder what sort of charactor would behave as he does, or if he was in any way representative of its populance. She let his own words and actions portray himself as a vile but harmless nutcase.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess you can miss quite a bit when you go out of town for a couple of weeks.

Oh to anyone interested, TC is still single. I know this because when I've been unlucky enough to see him, he asks me out. Call me crazy, but I declined. Maybe I'm one of the "lesbians" on the Civic Club board he referred to. Since I won't go out with him I must be gay.

Oh to anyone interested, TC is still single. I know this because when I've been unlucky enough to see him, he asks me out. Call me crazy, but I declined. Maybe I'm one of the "lesbians" on the Civic Club board he referred to. Since I won't go out with him I must be gay.

encourage him to join HAIF. ;)

Thats hilarious. Funny what people say when your back is turned.

On a seperate note, I drove around Park Place area last week and wondered if anyone here knows of any one on Haif ever speaks for that nabe? Park Place was considered a really nice area to live in especially for the huge lots and older Arts & Crafts homes that still are there.

Park Place people where are you!? Stand up !

Well Stolitx, while you were off at your Indigo Girls concert, or where ever, you missed yet another Lisa Gray article on another one of our colorful neighbors (we really have our share don't we?!), that lives over on Glenview next door to the old Carrabba's house.

One of the last hold outs of Glenbrook's era as Houston's "little Italy" I guess....

Delivering the rich, famous & Sinatra

On a seperate note, I drove around Park Place area last week and wondered if anyone here knows of any one on Haif ever speaks for that nabe? Park Place was considered a really nice area to live in especially for the huge lots and older Arts & Crafts homes that still are there.

My legs are getting tired standing up.

My legs are getting tired standing up.

Can you describe how Park Place is arranged? I mean I always thought the area on the west side of 45 at Broadway/Park Place was known as just Park Place. The side where you can see Kelly's restuarant.

The other day I was on the other side by the newer Library across from that small park and I could swear I saw a sign that said Park Place. So is it in essence split in half as in its on both sides of 45? I guess I could just look at a map but I rather hear from a local as locals are more tuned in. Years ago I knew a couple that had a home near the new library and it was a big older home. They just dont make homes like those any more.

PS, remember where The Blue Oyster Bar was is that also considered Park Place? When we were kids we always associated PP with the gameboard Monopoly :blush:

Well Stolitx, while you were off at your Indigo Girls concert, or where ever, you missed yet another Lisa Gray article on another one of our colorful neighbors (we really have our share don't we?!), that lives over on Glenview next door to the old Carrabba's house.

One of the last hold outs of Glenbrook's era as Houston's "little Italy" I guess....

Delivering the rich, famous & Sinatra

Of course today would be the day that my company decided to block the Chronicle for "general news; spyware" resaons. I will have read that tonight from home.

Can you describe how Park Place is arranged? I mean I always thought the area on the west side of 45 at Broadway/Park Place was known as just Park Place.

Roughly from Colgate and Berkley on the west, Sims Bayou on the south and southeast, Pine Gully on the north and northeast.

That said, the current homeowners association divides up PP in two. The eastern section has an association with PP on the east side of 45 also including Shady Park (and maybe Park Terrace).

The west side of 45 hangs with Santa Rosa and Lum Terrace etc.

ps...sorry for the temporary hijack of the glenbrook thread

Sorry, I've been on vacation! I grew up in Park Place and went to the Catholic grade school across the freeway. It was a great working-class neighborhood -- we considered Glenbrook Valley to have the "rich" folks. Most people in Park Place had large yards, and Reveille Park was a nice green space. One of my favorite memories of the 'hood was Park Place Pharmacy -- we'd stop by after school and get a soda or ice cream at the fountain. Even then -- in the 70s -- it was a throwback to an earlier time. My folks don't live there anymore, so I don't go by very often. I hope it makes a comeback.

Archived