Minerva Perez Retired From ABC13 KTRK?

Yeah, she was one of those anchors who'd have a perfect english tone and when their name comes up, that hispanic accent kicks in!

"I am Minerva (rolls the "R") Perez, ABC13".

For some reason she didn't roll any "R" until about last 5 years. When she started it out years ago she said it as simple as it reads. I imagine she was urged by the public or staff to start adding more of an ethnic sound to appease the public. Not her fault, job stability. I will stop there.

For some reason she didn't roll any "R" until about last 5 years. When she started it out years ago she said it as simple as it reads. I imagine she was urged by the public or staff to start adding more of an ethnic sound to appease the public. Not her fault, job stability. I will stop there.

Her and Jose Grinon, they have the accented names.

Minerva Perez Retired From ABC13 KTRK?

Quits

If they bring Minerva back, then what are they going to do with Sharron. Personally I have been enjoying her in the mornings. Who took Minerva's slot in the 11am newscast?

It wouldn't be the first time that a Houston TV personality was told to act more Hispanic in order to appeal to attract viewers. Some have been known to change their on-air names and go to tanning booths to keep their jobs.

I've known lots of Hispanics that do just that or just the opposite depending on their situation. I've also seen it with African Americans who are told they don't 'sound Black enough' whatever that means.

It's enough to give someone schizophrenia.

It wouldn't be the first time that a Houston TV personality was told to act more Hispanic in order to appeal to attract viewers. Some have been known to change their on-air names and go to tanning booths to keep their jobs.

I can only recall one instance ever where someone used common sense when addressing people by last name.

Once while at the courthouse here in downtown the judge would call a number as you approached the stand. Once you stood before him he was sensible to ask "How do you pronounce your last name?

I thought that was one of the most thoughtful and respectful way to put it. If I have a doubt about a persons name I ask them How do/would you pronounce your name. It sets the tone right. Not all people use an accent in the last name (Spanish anyway). We should never assume. Its only being considerate. Hats off to that judge. :)

Add me to the list of those who miss Minerva. It's true that she lacked the polish you see on so many anchors nowadays, but she always seemed genuine and comforting. I basically watched 13 in the morning because of her.

The Chronicle article linked below hints that ratings may have had someting to do with her leaving; evidently 13's #1 lead in the morning isn't as commanding as it once was.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/4793199.html

• 2 months later...

Why are these newscasters pronouncing English words in a foreign accent? Sherron Melton can't even seem to pronounce her own name correctly.

I started noticing English bastardization back in the 80's when national newscasters would speak properly-pronounced English but morph into an uber Spanish speaker when they came up to the word "NICARAGUA" which came out with rolling rr's and mangled vowel sounds.

English doesn't have rolled 'r's' for goodness sake. A foreign word should be pronounced with the English phonics. Newscasters in Houston need to speak English already.

I was also sorry to see Minerva leave, however I must say I am enjoying Sharron Melton. Both she and Casey Curry do their jobs very well and both add a nice mix of professionalism and sunshine to the morning newscast. I am now a fan.

I was also sorry to see Minerva leave, however I must say I am enjoying Sharron Melton. Both she and Casey Curry do their jobs very well and both add a nice mix of professionalism and sunshine to the morning newscast. I am now a fan.

yeah the rubber band ear pull between casey and don was hilarious

Archived