other things besides architecture?

hi guys, well i looked throughout this forum and i think this is where i would post this. if not i apologize to the mods.

i'm currently working as an architect, well more specifically-intern architect.

i'm not content with where i am going in this profession. i know ppl in different firms and they r just there working, but no one is truly content.

i think it's mainly because of pay and the amount of stress this job holds. i still love architecture and want to stay in this field.

does anyone have any recommendations on other fields i can go into that still involves architecture, pays well 40-50k/yr, and isn't so stressful? i don't mind some stress, i just don't want constant stress or constant deadlines that are are literally weeks apart.

also, what r ur thoughts on firms here in Houston. I'm not from Houston so I'm not too familiar with what firms are good firms to work for or what their specialty is. i've searched AIA, but that's nothing close to hearing ppls opinions that actually work or have worked at some of these firms.

thanks, and i look forward to hearing ur suggestions and opinions.....

does anyone have any recommendations on other fields i can go into that still involves architecture, pays well 40-50k/yr, and isn't so stressful? i don't mind some stress, i just don't want constant stress or constant deadlines that are are literally weeks apart.

I almost considered becoming and architect, along with a marine biologist and a civil engineer.

I ended being a Mechanical and make a comfortable living.

What is the current/average pay for architects, that'd be unfair if it was less than $40K

sorry you're having problems but i know several architects who say similar things. i guess it's like any other job, you never know how good you had it til you leave.

hi all, well i'm sure most of u on here know all the requriements needed to be an architect.

heavy duty schooling, sleepless nights, internship, stress, 9 exams to pass to get registered, etc

i came to Houston from San Antonio to attend the University of Houston (which i greatly enjoyed), and now am working at a firm.

the starting salary for an intern out of school isn't that great considering we go through alot. When i first started it was about 32k, and it doesn't go up so high yearly after that.\

i guess i'm still kinda young, but i spoke with others at my firm that have been in the industy for 5+ years and some are barely making 40k at the age of 32-35, which to me is low for being an "architect"

many ppl think being an architect is designing a building w/ some urban planning etc., but coming out of school u start out doing red lines then help doing construction documents till u can manage a project. but i have never had the opp. to design anything.

I enjoy the fact that i'm learning more about details and how things are constructed, but it can be overwhelming in having to take phone calls from the client, g.c., permit expiditor, and drawing C.D.'s all at the same time and not even making 40k. it just seems like it's a dead end unless u become registered, and being registered u get paid better but nothing that is so great unless ur like 40+

maybe i'm just dreaming too much, but i've started at looking at real estate, and i must say this site is very helpful...good info on foreclosures and the website har. i never heard of that website till i came on here :) i would really like to make green housing using solar panels, etc.

anyway, in the meantime while i save up i was thinking of maybe becoming a building inspector, surveyor, or even an estimator...i'm just not sure if any of those jobs would require much more schooling and if the pay would be any good.

what do u guys think?? oh and i would like to thank all that have responded it's great to be able to talk to others that enjoy Houston, architecture and real estate :) i hope to learn so much more on here :D

hi all, well i'm sure most of u on here know all the requriements needed to be an architect.

heavy duty schooling, sleepless nights, internship, stress, 9 exams to pass to get registered, etc

i came to Houston from San Antonio to attend the University of Houston (which i greatly enjoyed), and now am working at a firm.

Interesting information. I went through a similar phase a couple months ago. I considered getting my masters in urban planning, but after researching it I realized it wasn't what I thought it was and the average pay made me realize the cost of getting the degree wasn't worth it. I'm all for getting a job in something you love, but not at the expense of being logical.

Hope you figure out what you want to do.

heavy duty schooling, sleepless nights, internship, stress, 9 exams to pass to get registered, etc...

the starting salary for an intern out of school isn't that great considering we go through alot. When i first started it was about 32k, and it doesn't go up so high yearly after that.\

i guess i'm still kinda young, but i spoke with others at my firm that have been in the industy for 5+ years and some are barely making 40k at the age of 32-35, which to me is low for being an "architect"

It sounds like a lot of white collar industries I know. You might be surprised which industries pay people minimum wage right out of college, and then not much less for the next ten years of their careers. I remember when I was about four years into my career, I had to live in the bug-infested basement of a convenience store in Charleston, West Virginia with concrete floors and no heat. As I got to know the other local members of my profession better I learned that the ones who dressed flashy and talked about making big money were either dirt poor like me and overcompensating, or they had parents who were still kicking in to help them survive. I knew one girl who let the company pay her less than minimum wage just so she could keep a foot in the door. If money is that big a concern for you, then maybe being an architect isn't for you. You might have to adjust your goals until you find a profession you love. Try to figure out what you would do for a living that would be worth making less than you do today. That might give you some leads.

many ppl think being an architect is designing a building w/ some urban planning etc., but coming out of school u start out doing red lines then help doing construction documents till u can manage a project. but i have never had the opp. to design anything.

I enjoy the fact that i'm learning more about details and how things are constructed, but it can be overwhelming in having to take phone calls from the client, g.c., permit expiditor, and drawing C.D.'s all at the same time and not even making 40k. it just seems like it's a dead end unless u become registered, and being registered u get paid better but nothing that is so great unless ur like 40+

I don't know what "red lines" are, but I assume it's essentially non-glamorous grunt work. Maybe the solution isn't to go more grunt work. Maybe it's time to find some similarly disillusioned people and start your own firm, or maybe just a consultancy. I know there are licensing issues in architecture, so that may not be practical. But maybe the way to rise above the grunt work is to put yourself in a position to hire other grunts to do it for you.

maybe i'm just dreaming too much, but i've started at looking at real estate, and i must say this site is very helpful...good info on foreclosures and the website har. i never heard of that website till i came on here :) i would really like to make green housing using solar panels, etc.

Totally sounds like you should have your own firm -- and "green" is red hot these days. There a metric crapload of money to be made there.

anyway, in the meantime while i save up i was thinking of maybe becoming a building inspector, surveyor, or even an estimator...i'm just not sure if any of those jobs would require much more schooling and if the pay would be any good.

what do u guys think?? oh and i would like to thank all that have responded it's great to be able to talk to others that enjoy Houston, architecture and real estate :) i hope to learn so much more on here :D

My only other advice is, "don't be afraid to move." I've seen a lot of people's careers dead-end because they refused to leave their home town or state. I didn't start making real money until I learned to market my skills in cities where they were in demand. Places that were never on my radar (Green Bay, Cincinnati, Houston) were the places where I found my greatest success and was able to hone my craft.

Flights are cheap these days. Make a list of five cities you're curious about and start researching the market for architects in each of them. Earlier you mentioned green architecture. As much as I love Texas, if you're going to survive it's time to head to New England or the Left Coast. In my (amateur) estimation, that's where the real money for green architecture is. More importantly, that's where the demand is. Go where you're needed. You can always come back when you're rich and famous.

wow editor, thanks so much for your insight :)

it helps to get opinions from others or at least for me it is. it helps me focus myself better when i get different perspectives, and allows me to make better decisions.

the statement you made about how you lived when u first started off and that girl that was getting less than minimum wage just to get in the door shows great sacrifice.

makes me realize that not all things come easy and that sometimes you "have to pay a price" if someone wants to be rich they have to pay the price and takes some risks all though there are those that get lucky.

if someone wants to be lean and built they have to pay the price and work out and be disciplined with what they eat, etc. and yes there are those that just have it naturally. but i think most ppl don't have that luck and do have to pay a price to get where they want to get.

you are also totally right about how some ppl to end up at a dead end for being scared to move. that's the position i find myself in. i'm scared to move or "quit" the firm i'm currently working in cuz i dread the whole starting over thing. new firm, new rules, new drawing standards, etc. but after reading this and talking to some friends i'm literally going to take the plunge. Monday morning i'm going to talk to one of the principals and if i come out unhappy w/ the end picture of what to expect i will put in my 2 week notice and look elsewhere. i really don't want to leave architecture cuz i do love the detailing aspect of the profession so i think i'm going to pursue going to another firm where growth in the firm is key :)

thanks again editor :D i'll post my results...wish me well :)

I work in the architecture profession and may be able to clear up a few things for you.

Do you work for a large firm or a small firm? Large firms tend to offer better benefits and a constant paycheck. However, it is harder to move up the food chain, since employees are usually stuck doing one task and there is a larger number of staff in positions ahead of them. Small firms tend to allow employees to gain more experience in all aspects of the profession, a good way to quickly build a skill set and advance a career. Unfortunately, the benefits at smaller firms are usually not as lucrative, and more overtime can be required, due to the small staff.

Also, the position of "Designer" can be pretty hard to get, due to its desirability. Everyone with a degree in Architecture wants to design stuff. It can be a lot of fun. Though the position of Designer can be fun and mentally rewarding, it is typically not the most financially rewarding. Most of the money in architecture is not made by Designers, rather it is made by Project Managers. Project management is not easy or fun. It involves dealing with everyone involved in the project(s), and getting them to coordinate with each other to get the building(s) built permitted, and built on time, within budget, and to the client's satisfaction. For this reason, the position can be VERY stressful. Project management requires good organizational and people skills, and project managers may handle several projects at once.

To gain job satisfaction, I would recommend trying to gain experience in a field that you are interested in. Since you appear to be interested in Sustainable or "Green" buildings, I would recommend trying to find a firm that specializes in this field. Kirksey looks like a good local example. To make yourself more desirable and potentially increase your salary, you could take the test that would allow you to become a LEED Accredited Professional. The test is easier than parts of the ARE, and many firms are now encouraging or requiring employees to take it.

If you totally hate working at an architecture firm, and don't really want to be an architect, you could always work in a related field. You might want to work for a manufacturer of building products, or for a construction company. You might also look at design-build firms, as some of them look pretty interesting. You may also want go for a graduate degree and teach. Teaching doesn't pay as well as practice, but it can be a lot less stressful.

Basically, reality makes the architecture profession a lot more complicated than the theoretically-based and design-oriented nature of architecture school. Practice is nothing like school, and it never will be. Young people in most professions do not start out making a lot of money, regardless of what degree they hold. Employee compensation is typically based on qualifications, job experience, and past job performance - things which young employees do not have when they are just starting out. Any job that you choose to pursue will call for some kind of sacrifice, be it compensation, happiness, or time. You will need to decide what is most important to you, and what you want to get out of your career.

Anyway, I hope I have been of some help. Good luck, and keep us posted!

hi guys, well i looked throughout this forum and i think this is where i would post this. if not i apologize to the mods.

i'm not content with where i am going in this profession. i know ppl in different firms and they r just there working, but no one is truly content.

i think it's mainly because of pay and the amount of stress this job holds. i still love architecture and want to stay in this field.

also, what r ur thoughts on firms here in Houston. I'm not from Houston so I'm not too familiar with what firms are good firms to work for or what their specialty is. i've searched AIA, but that's nothing close to hearing ppls opinions that actually work or have worked at some of these firms.

In my early 20's I began working as an intern at LLoyd/Jones. It took about two hours to realize that was not what I should be doing. After a a couple of years I jumped ship and delved into what I really loved: decorative and ornamental metals. Ultimatly I became the owner of a company that became a sub to some of the largest projects in Houston, Austin and Chicago. Now at 54 I am comfortably retired, designing residential and creating sculpture-some which sells!! ^_^

Follow your gut and heart...trust in your self.

That is a gold mine, if you have the drive, do it!

I work in the architecture profession and may be able to clear up a few things for you.

Do you work for a large firm or a small firm?

hi Dan, i currently work in a mid-size firm, about 35 ppl, there isn't much variety at the firm, which is what i think is disalussioning me the most. However, since the firm isn't that big i did have one good boss that gave me the opp. to be project manager, which gave me great experience. the firm just doesn't appreciate it's workers which made me disallusioned bout the whole thing. Plust the firm I work at has stingy pockets. There are some pple there that say they've worked years w/o ever getting a raise. I think since I'm fresh out of school i still have that drive and ambition to work but at the same time i expect an employer to be fair or at least take care of it's employees. The firm has actually lost a lot of projects due to it's "greedy" "over-charging" nature.

To gain job satisfaction, I would recommend trying to gain experience in a field that you are interested in. Since you appear to be interested in Sustainable or "Green" buildings, I would recommend trying to find a firm that specializes in this field. Kirksey looks like a good local example. To make yourself more desirable and potentially increase your salary, you could take the test that would allow you to become a LEED Accredited Professional. The test is easier than parts of the ARE, and many firms are now encouraging or requiring employees to take it.

i have actually looked at this, and i'll be taking this exam before i attempt the A.R.E. :)

You might also look at design-build firms

this actually sounds very interesting, because i enjoyed my experience as project manager and i would think a design build firm would give great opp. in this. currently where i'm at is in sponge mode. i want to work somewhere where there are ppl willing to help and give time to help. i'm hoping that i'm just stuck in a bad firm and that not all firms are like the ones i'm currently working for.

wow, nmainguy....i hope i can be in the same econimic situation as you at 54 :) major props to you for figuring things out early and having it all work out. that's absolute greatness!!!

pumapayam, which one is a gold mine?? the building inspector??

THE UPDATE:

well guys i'm a person of their word and today i did the deed. to be blunt i was disappointed in the firm, the projects they are receiving aren't "recognized" projects as that's what the firm use to specialize in. However, as i stated before due to changes within the firm they've lost alot if not all it's well known clients. so today i put in my two week notice (i must say it felt good to do so, the excitement of me starting new elsewhere is invigorating) so now i'm looking for work, lol.....so who knows i may end up working at one y'all's firm :D

anyways, not to be repetitive...i really appreciate's everyone's input as it was very helpful and helped me realized there is better out there and one just has to make the plunge for the better. thanks again everyone B)

Don't laugh at my suggestion, but would theater design be of any interest? It combines many elements of architecture (designing and building sets) and working with engineering details, but not necessarily straight (if there is such a word) architecture.

Just a thought...?

THE UPDATE:

well guys i'm a person of their word and today i did the deed. to be blunt i was disappointed in the firm, the projects they are receiving aren't "recognized" projects as that's what the firm use to specialize in. However, as i stated before due to changes within the firm they've lost alot if not all it's well known clients. so today i put in my two week notice (i must say it felt good to do so, the excitement of me starting new elsewhere is invigorating) so now i'm looking for work, lol.....so who knows i may end up working at one y'all's firm :D

anyways, not to be repetitive...i really appreciate's everyone's input as it was very helpful and helped me realized there is better out there and one just has to make the plunge for the better. thanks again everyone B)

You put in your two weeks before getting another job first? Yikes. You're brave.

THE UPDATE:

Have you given any consideration to going back to school for a second degree, MBA, or graduate certificates? Anything oriented toward management, operations, finance, or entrepreneurship, in combination with your architecture bachelor's would probably put you on a pretty lucrative path.

My hero! Damn, I wish I had the cajones to do that.

LOL, thanks mac...it's not typical of my personality, but everyone i spoke to kept telling me "what do i have to lose". so i took it by heart and just did it. :)

Have you given any consideration to going back to school for a second degree, MBA, or graduate certificates? Anything oriented toward management, operations, finance, or entrepreneurship, in combination with your architecture bachelor's would probably put you on a pretty lucrative path.

hi there niche, thanks for the recommendation on that book. i'm literally looking at amazon right now looking for it :)

since i'm out of work, LOL, and currently sending in resumes everywhere....in the meantime i was thinking of going back to U of H. I looked at the coures as i was considering going back for mechanical or electrical engineer but it has too much math...Cal 2, Cal 3, etc..:unsure: So i'm going to explore the Building inspector route, which I think at U of H will be under construction management. we'll see how it goes :blush:

LOL, thanks mac...it's not typical of my personality, but everyone i spoke to kept telling me "what do i have to lose". so i took it by heart and just did it. :)

hi there niche, thanks for the recommendation on that book. i'm literally looking at amazon right now looking for it :)

since i'm out of work, LOL, and currently sending in resumes everywhere....in the meantime i was thinking of going back to U of H. I looked at the coures as i was considering going back for mechanical or electrical engineer but it has too much math...Cal 2, Cal 3, etc..:unsure: So i'm going to explore the Building inspector route, which I think at U of H will be under construction management. we'll see how it goes :blush:

i doubt UH would have building inspector training.

Hey, just to make your search easier, follow this link to the Urban Land Institute's book store. I didn't recommend one book, so much as I recommended a source for them.

i doubt UH would have building inspector training.

wow, ur absolutely right. when puma stated that it was a gold mine i assumed that it required like two more years of schooling.

to my surprise after doing research there are some places that provide a course in which one can finish in 7 days:

http://www.ahit.com/training/classroom/texas.htm

that's odd that building inspectors w/ 7 days training can earn more than an intern architect, lol. was puma being sarcastic in saying that it was a gold mine??

also, i recently notified a friend of mine about my proposed move and she became interested in the building inspection idea, but she was worried if building inspection is not a job for a girl. would there be any con's to a girl doing this job??

that's odd that building inspectors w/ 7 days training can earn more than an intern architect, lol. was puma being sarcastic in saying that it was a gold mine??

also, i recently notified a friend of mine about my proposed move and she became interested in the building inspection idea, but she was worried if building inspection is not a job for a girl. would there be any con's to a girl doing this job??

a girl could do it, BUT (ladies don't hate me) i'll bet most customers would prefer a man. like a car mechanic.

it can be a gold mine, esp if you get in good with a few realtors. once you've made a name for yourself, world of mouth will bring you all the biz you need.

BTW if you find any more places that offer the training, please post them as well. thx

I imagine your quite young and if so I would head to Hollywood and try to get a gig as a Set Designer in films. Serious, your timing is just right. Go online an look in careers sections to see whats up. I worked at 20th Century Fox for a short period of time but it was just admin work during the summer one year but I was smack in the action. Opportunity only knocks once maybe twice grab it. One day you will be glad you did. So if the film industry is in your blood (like mine) do it and now. Hit them all Paramount, Warner Bros, Universal, etc. No regrets. :)

Here is one for starters enter: careers

http://www.paramount.com/paramount.php

a girl could do it, BUT (ladies don't hate me) i'll bet most customers would prefer a man. like a car mechanic.

it can be a gold mine, esp if you get in good with a few realtors. once you've made a name for yourself, world of mouth will bring you all the biz you need.

BTW if you find any more places that offer the training, please post them as well. thx

will do, i'm going to do a bit more research to see if one place is more credible than an other and post all i find:)

regarding ur "most customer would prefer a man" i told her and she just laughed in agreement :) she's getting to be at the stage i'm already at, which is fet up, lol.

she says she'll probably become a realtor.........i'm not sure if that's a good idea, but then again i don't know much about the day to day of a realtor agent.

Sounds to me like maybe you were just working for the wrong company...

The people you work with and work for can make all the difference in the world.

There are a lot of companies that I could go to and make more $$$, but you couldn't pay me enough $$$ to work there day in and day out. The headache isn't worth it.

Look for a good company where you fit in and have good relationships. If the employees are honestly happy about their environment, it's a good place to be. Don't worry too much about the money, if you're happy, the money will come...and if it doesn't, at least you're happy! ;)

My suggestion is that, before making a major career change, give architecture another shot...but do it with the right group of people. Go to a company that will help you grow as an employee and as a person. They're out there...you just hooked up with the wrong one. Not all companies are created equal.

My suggestion is that, before making a major career change, give architecture another shot...but do it with the right group of people. Go to a company that will help you grow as an employee and as a person. They're out there...you just hooked up with the wrong one. Not all companies are created equal.

That can be very true, but the hard part is finding them.

regarding ur "most customer would prefer a man" i told her and she just laughed in agreement :) she's getting to be at the stage i'm already at, which is fet up, lol.

she says she'll probably become a realtor.........i'm not sure if that's a good idea, but then again i don't know much about the day to day of a realtor agent.

there you go.....already got a leg in the door.

to be honest, taking a break from your current job may do you well. i did that and it has made a big difference in my happiness and sanity.

hey guys, well my experience in being in a bad firm was actually good.....it gave me knowledge of what i want in a company :)

anyways, i'm still doing research on what i want to go into, and i've somewhat narrowed it down to building inspector, realtor (i'm getting convinced,lol) or work for a construction management firm, orrrrr like timmy chan stated find that arch. firm that fits me :)

anyway, as i did research on "construction managemnet firms in Houston Texas" this company popped up along w/ quick summary about the founder of the company...look at how he started....doing construction inspections his senior year in college..wow!

http://www.bsci-inc.com/president/index.asp

someone i read about said she was an architect and ended up changing to a facilities manager....talk about change, lol, but that is something i don't want to do.

anywho, next i'll be researching the requirements to be a realtor :) (and look in the real estate thread on this forum) i'll be sure to post up all my sources as i hope it will help other noob architectural interns looking for a change.

anywho, next i'll be researching the requirements to be a realtor :) (and look in the real estate thread on this forum) i'll be sure to post up all my sources as i hope it will help other noob architectural interns looking for a change.

they have realtor schools all over. check out hcc. i know the southeast campus has courses.

hey guys...ok, well my friend (the girl who wanted to be a realtor) and i have decided to go back to school.

i'm 27 and she's 26. anyway, we both went to u of h and graduated w/ a bachelor's of architecture, and we re-visited the u of h web site and looked at the college of technology and found that they offer construction management:

Overview

The College of Technology offers both an undergraduate and graduate degree in the field of Construction Management Technology. The objective of the Construction Management Technology program is to provide graduates with knowledge and skills that are valued and sought by the construction industry profession. Commercial, residential, industrial and highway/heavy sectors of the construction industry need entry-level professional employees who are knowledgeable and skilled. Graduates must have knowledge of construction materials and methods, structural systems, soils, site development, surveying, and contract administration; be capable of interpreting codes, plans and specifications; and have skills for planning, estimating, scheduling, and evaluating project performance.

I'll be talking w/ an advisor to see what i need to do and so forth, but off their website these are some of the careers

Job Titles

Some specific job titles that the Engineering Technology-Construction Management program can prepare graduates for include the following.

Field Engineer

Construction Estimator

Construction Superintendent

Construction Supervisor

Project Manager

Construction Planner

Contracts Administrator

Construction Material Specialist

Construction Consultant

my goal now is to get a job w/ an arch. firm preferably a design build, or one that offers construction management, and go to school at night :) it'll be a tough road, but in the end it should be worth it.

My friend will have it a little bit easier in the sence that she'll be going to school full time, but i think it'll be a good move for the both of us and give us more opportunity in the job field :D

Archived