Zocalo Drive-In Theater At 5223 Feagan St.

terrbo

I see y'all discussion that website drivein.com or whatever it is. Back around '95 or '96 or so, some cyber friends of mine in this movie discussion board I participate in, these peeps are from different states.. kept telling me that WAS a drive-in in Houston.. I got on this site, and there was indeed a drive-in mentioned. It had an 713-86* phone number.. I may have called the number, but it was awhile bacK (when I got my first computer). The guy said yes, they do show films, but on specific days (weekend?, can't remember).

I wish I had the exact address.

No terrbo, no Drive in in that area at all. I think the closest one you'll find is in Tomball or Huffman, up 249N. It is called the Steamboat, if it is still open.

I think we could merge this thread with the Houston Historic Drive-in one. What say you, Mods ?

I see y'all discussion that website drivein.com or whatever it is. Back around '95 or '96 or so, some cyber friends of mine in this movie discussion board I participate in, these peeps are from different states.. kept telling me that WAS a drive-in in Houston.. I got on this site, and there was indeed a drive-in mentioned. It had an 713-86* phone number.. I may have called the number, but it was awhile bacK (when I got my first computer). The guy said yes, they do show films, but on specific days (weekend?, can't remember).

I wish I had the exact address.

Maybe you mean the Aurora Picture Show? Not a drive-in though but it is near the heights.

It has "picture show" in its name...so someone might have confused it with an outdoor theater.

http://www.aurorapictureshow.org/default.asp\

In addition to the Showboat that Tjones mentioned, there is a drive-in in Porter on the Eastex Freeway.

It was originally called the Star Lite then I think they changed the name to Lite Star for some reason.

It may have closed too, I dunno.

Maybe you mean the Aurora Picture Show? Not a drive-in though but it is near the heights.

It has "picture show" in its name...so someone might have confused it with an outdoor theater.

In addition to the Showboat that Tjones mentioned, there is a drive-in in Porter on the Eastex Freeway.

It was originally called the Star Lite then I think they changed the name to Lite Star for some reason.

Nope, not Aurora Picture show (I went to a very nice wedding there)

and found it on the website.. not really Heights, north of I-10..

from the site it says:

"Houston (Harris County), Texas

Zocalo Drive-In Theater (Dark).. but was open when I called in the mid 90s

Had been opened sporadically, and usually on Saturdays. Operated by a non-profit org that tried to feature unusual fare, independent and "art circuit" films."

maybe run by some artists?

Nope, not Aurora Picture show (I went to a very nice wedding there)

and found it on the website.. not really Heights, south of I-10..

from the site it says:

Had been opened sporadically, and usually on Saturdays. Operated by a non-profit org that tried to feature unusual fare, independent and "art circuit" films."

I just looked on Drive-Ins.Com at open drive-ins in Houston. It shows the Showboat in Hockley as being open, but not the Starlite. I read awhile back that the Starlite was having financial problems. Maybe it's now closed, because the next open theatre nearest Houston is in Shiner, Texas, 114 miles away.

No terrbo, no Drive in in that area at all. I think the closest one you'll find is in Tomball or Huffman, up 249N. It is called the Steamboat, if it is still open.

I think we could merge this thread with the Houston Historic Drive-in one. What say you, Mods ?

I haven't heard of the Houston Historic Drive-In. What's its website address? I'd like to see it.

Very interesting. I never knew about this place. 5223 Feagan - just a few blocks west of Durham. On the satellite map, there looks to still be a large parking lot there, which may have been where the theater was. Here is a Houston Press article with some more information.

Very interesting. I never knew about this place. 5223 Feagan - just a few blocks west of Durham. On the satellite map, there looks to still be a large parking lot there, which may have been where the theater was. Here is a Houston Press article with some more information.

Hey, Thanx, tmariar! The year coincide with when I called the phone # this drive-in and everything. I know some artists around town.. one former Radio Music Theatre (where I work weekends) bartender/"tramp art" guy, Noah, talks about Nestor lots.

• 1 month later...

The Steamboat is alive and well! In fact, they just added a second screen.

I HIGHLY recommend a trip to Hockley to catch a movie...it's tons of fun! Just like old times...except without the speakers one would drive away with...LOL!!

Steamboat is doing great business. There is usually a line of cars to get in, but the line moves quickly...and plenty of parking available.

The place rocks! I hope it does well and encourages someone to open another drive-in in the Houston area. I love em!

• The title was changed to Drive-In Theater In The Heights Area
  • The title was changed to Zocalo Drive-In Theater At 5223 Feagan St.

Archived