Blacks, Hispanics fare worse in traffic stops

musicman

Black, Hispanic and white drivers are equally likely to be pulled over by police, but blacks and Hispanics are much more likely to be searched and arrested, a federal study found.

Police were much more likely to threaten or use force against blacks and Hispanics than against whites in any encounter, whether at a traffic stop or elsewhere, according to the Justice Department.

The study, released today by the department's Bureau of Justice Statistics, covered police contacts with the public during 2005 and was based on interviews by the Census Bureau with nearly 64,000 people age 16 or over.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not news to those of us in the criminal justice system. It would also not be suprising how many minorities are searched without probable cause. Next time you are driving down the freeway, and see youths or minorities standing around or in a police car while the police search their car, ask yourself how many times that happens to you.

Or a ticket instead of a warning for something really stupid. I got a $100.00 ticket for having my brights on behind a cop. I hit the switch by accident when I turned and didnt notice.

If you are black or hispanic this is not news... you can add unnecessary use of force to that list.

Oh I just reread it. Look at the gap for use of force...

This is not news to those of us in the criminal justice system. It would also not be suprising how many minorities are searched without probable cause. Next time you are driving down the freeway, and see youths or minorities standing around or in a police car while the police search their car, ask yourself how many times that happens to you.

Red how much do you charge for taxi service? you're scaring me.

they can give you tickets for MANY things that are innocent mistakes.

True, all depends on the type of day the cop is having or the attitude of the particular cop all together. Also on what orders were delegated that morning. Its all luck of the draw for us.

I recall being quite lucky as a teenager I was stopped for supposedly just barely missing the red light. The cop stops me I give ID he gets in his car gets a call, rushes over to me hands me my ID and says "Just be careful next time" and speeds off! Yeeehaaahhh! I just went on my merry way. :lol:

Black, Hispanic and white drivers are equally likely to be pulled over by police, but blacks and Hispanics are much more likely to be searched and arrested, a federal study found.

Police were much more likely to threaten or use force against blacks and Hispanics than against whites in any encounter, whether at a traffic stop or elsewhere, according to the Justice Department.

The study, released today by the department's Bureau of Justice Statistics, covered police contacts with the public during 2005 and was based on interviews by the Census Bureau with nearly 64,000 people age 16 or over.

Or a ticket instead of a warning for something really stupid. I got a $100.00 ticket for having my brights on behind a cop. I hit the switch by accident when I turned and didnt notice.

If you are black or hispanic this is not news... you can add unnecessary use of force to that list.

That's B.S., the officer that pulled you over had no idea whether you were black, hispanic, or white. You think you got the ticket because of the color of your skin ? Go to court and explain to the judge that's what you think also, and see how he/she rules.

That's B.S., the officer that pulled you over had no idea whether you were black, hispanic, or white. You think you got the ticket because of the color of your skin ? Go to court and explain to the judge that's what you think also, and see how he/she rules.

Not disagreeing with your analysis, but it's pretty damn silly to get a $100 ticket for that.

This is what happens when you post before you think.

The cop slowed down and let me pass. He looked at me and pulled me over and gave me a $100.00 ticket. You do the math.

That's B.S., the officer that pulled you over had no idea whether you were black, hispanic, or white. You think you got the ticket because of the color of your skin ?
i think you're missing the point of the article. it says that whether you were black/hispanic/white you were equally likely to be pulled over. that's good. But once you were pulled over blacks/hispanics were more likely to be searched and arrested. that's bad.

You can't argue however that there's no way to tell if the officer gave the ticket based on skin color.

This is NOT news to me as a black man .. I want to know what is being DONE about it ...? It seems like we all talk about it, but not much gets done to resolve it.

The worst part of all of this is that it makes it SEEM like blacks and Hispanics have a higher incidence or cause to commit a crime. I am a law abiding citizen who has NEVER been involved with the law outside of traffic stops, but I know that all blacks and Latinos are not committing all the crimes in society, but look at the news and such and that is how it seems.

While the police are busy looking at these groups, they are --by default-- letting others get away with same or more severe crimes.

If you're looking one way, you cannot be looking the other.

You are right and not much can be done but try to stay on the right side of the law and have a good lawyer when it happens. Then add some money and time for a bunch of hassle over nothing.

At least the TV show COPS shows that every race has its screwups. :)

I always make the joke don't go outside without your shoes on, shirt on, or a wife beater. Every episode someone is appropriately attired.

Perhaps in Howard's case he cannot make the argument that the ticket was because of skin color. However, on a too frequent to be coincidence basis, I see kids stopped for little or no reason, who are then pulled from the car so that the car can be searched. If there is no probable cause to search, the car cannot be searched....but, it is done anyway. THIS is what the study shows, and THIS is why it is wrong.

I realize that many would prefer to ignore it, or because it does not happen to them, believe it does not occur. But, it happens all too often.

Mr. Jones, would you care to explain what instructions justify a beating, and which ones do not? It has always been my belief that the Constitutions of the United States and Texas prohibited ALL beatings by police. I'd like to read the lawbook that you are reading.

Perhaps in Howard's case he cannot make the argument that the ticket was because of skin color. However, on a too frequent to be coincidence basis, I see kids stopped for little or no reason, who are then pulled from the car so that the car can be searched. If there is no probable cause to search, the car cannot be searched....but, it is done anyway.

Isn't probable cause an subjective term anyway?

Isn't probable cause an subjective term anyway?

It is not supposed to be. A police officer should be able to articulate clear and unambiguous facts that support his decision to search. However, that is not always the case. I should point out that the officer who chooses to search minority drivers without cause is not one who takes his oath seriously. He is one that believes the ends justify the means. This person will simply make up probable cause when writing his report or testifying in court. It is not a large number of officers that do this. However, the few that do always seem to be patrolling the minority neighborhoods. And that few give the black eye to the larger group who follow the rules.

However, on a too frequent to be coincidence basis, I see kids stopped for little or no reason, who are then pulled from the car so that the car can be searched. If there is no probable cause to search, the car cannot be searched....but, it is done anyway. THIS is what the study shows, and THIS is why it is wrong.

I realize that many would prefer to ignore it, or because it does not happen to them, believe it does not occur. But, it happens all too often.

Problem is, the car can be searched if the occupants consent to a search, and when someone is asked by an authority figure carrying handcuffs, taser and gun, that consent is usually obtained.

Unfortunately, it takes balls to assert your Constitutional Right against unreasonable searches. Just because you have nothing to hide doesn't mean you should consent to a search of your property...but consent sure is a lot easier.

No, this is what happens when you don't provide all the information, where in this post does it say, he slowed down for you to pass so that he could get a look at you ?

He pulled you over for the bright lights not your skin color, I have been pulled over for the same offense, but I purposely had them on because I knew one of my lowbeams were out. This was a hispanic DPS officer, he then proceeded to do a field sobriety on me, which I failed because I couldn't stand on one leg and do ABC's. Which I informed him I couldn't do before I even attempted it, so I didn't even attempt it. So he cuffed me and stuffed me, then when my breathalizer cleared, after about an hour of harassment by jailers and other police, This WHITEBOY was given a ticket for the light and I fought and got dismissed. I have been pulled over somewhere about 27 times or so. It is all about your ATTITUDE towards the officer. If you have one when he/she asks for your license, you are in for a rough time. You simply say yes sir or yes ma'm. Don't ask stupid questions like, "What did you pull me over for ? I didn't do nothing !" The officer WILL explain it to you in due time. Let him do his job, and if you are apologetic and say things like "I didn't realize I couldn't go 75 in a school zone sir". He may very well let you off with a warning. I have only been written up half the times I've gotten pulled over, because I cooperate.

The cop slowed down and let me pass. He looked at me and pulled me over and gave me a $100.00 ticket. You do the math.

Getting out the calculator......

If he had seen your brights on, and had already decided to pull you over, he has to let you pass to get behind you. That equation works, too.

Still a dumb reason to hand out a ticket, though.

It is not supposed to be. A police officer should be able to articulate clear and unambiguous facts that support his decision to search. However, that is not always the case. I should point out that the officer who chooses to search minority drivers without cause is not one who takes his oath seriously. He is one that believes the ends justify the means. This person will simply make up probable cause when writing his report or testifying in court. It is not a large number of officers that do this. However, the few that do always seem to be patrolling the minority neighborhoods. And that few give the black eye to the larger group who follow the rules.

I'm sure its hard even for the best law enforcement officers when they continually deal with incidents like this throughout their career:

7 Teens Arrested in Sugar Land Home Invasion

By KEVIN MORAN

Copryight 2007 Houston Chronicle

Read Article

Sugar Land police arrested seven teenagers accused of a brutal April 19 home invasion in which the invaders held the homeowner at gunpoint while they beat him and broke his nose.

Those arrested are: Travius Joseph, 18, Reginald Ward, 18, Jacob Rockward, 18, Jacolby Johnson, 18, Scottie Taylor, 17, Justin Cleveland, 17 and Patrick Thomas, 17. (shown in order)

311xInlineGallery.jpg311xInlineGallery.jpg311xInlineGallery.jpg311xInlineGallery.jpg

311xInlineGallery.jpg311xInlineGallery.jpg311xInlineGallery.jpg

Point of clarification ... is driving with high beams on a ticketable offense? When is it alright to use high beams? When does it become a ticketable offense?

Several years ago I read that police say that the number one reason they stop people is no lights on and or with high beams on for DWI. This is like a signal to them that the driver is impaired and not really paying attention to his surroundings.

3rd reason to stop, not using signals or light out. Peace :D

So after being blinded by your high-beams, he was still able to look into your vehicle, in the dark, and was able to see your skin color? I won't even take into account that almost all police cars have dark tint which at night would hinder their vision, also that you might have tinted windows.

So even if he did give you a ticket based on skin color, it surely wasn't because he was able to determine that fact before pulling you over.

This is NOT news to me as a black man .. I want to know what is being DONE about it ...? It seems like we all talk about it, but not much gets done to resolve it.

houstonmacbro, it will never change unfortunately.

We have yet to see any evidence of reverse racism.

Whites are the majority, and until the population demographics change, it is what it is.

houstonmacbro, it will never change unfortunately.

We have yet to see any evidence of reverse racism.

Whites are the majority, and until the population demographics change, it is what it is.

Are you kidding?

I'm curious if one day, when one of the minorities become the majority, if they will still cry racism, or if they will finally realize that when you're the majority you just have to shut-up and take it, because "reverse-racism" doesn't exist? Or even worse, that "reverse-racism" CAN'T exist, because minorities CAN'T be racist.

That's why you never hear about white people complaining - because us just complaining about reverse-racism is considered racist by most vocal minorities.

Archived