Development Update

aggie0083

IM confused, i was driving along University East heading towards Bryan, and as soon as I reached coopperfield i seen the New First American Bank and i was wondering was this project in bryan or college station, it wasn't a sign saying leaving college station or welcoming you to bryan so i was wondering where exactly was this located???

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IM confused, i was driving along University East heading towards Bryan, and as soon as I reached coopperfield i seen the New First American Bank and i was wondering was this project in bryan or college station, it wasn't a sign saying leaving college station or welcoming you to bryan so i was wondering where exactly was this located???

If your driving down University Drive E towards town, College Station is on your left, Bryan is on your right. The new First American/Adam tower is on the College Station side. Park Hudson and the soon to be build First National Bank of Bryan's new headquaters are on the Bryan side.

The old Wings N' More Resturant (also Kerry's Stacked) building on Texas Ave across from TAMU is becoming Rasing Cane's. http://www.raisingcanes.com/intro.htm

I saw the sign while passing riding around town today. I also saw that in the Gateway Shopping center that the new Free Bird's is already up. Its a really nice building. But don't we already have enough Free Birds here? They should atleast put one on the Bryan side.

• 1 month later...
A Starbucks is coming to Northgate in place of "University Book Store" along with some kind of sandwich place.

The University Book Store has moved to Southwest and Welborn.

Wow, I was sure given the trend at Northgate that another bar would be locating in that location. Lets see that'll be the third stand alone Starbuck's in College Station not counting Barnes & Noble. There's a new coffee shop in Downtown Bryan serving Starbuck's products and there's proposed coffee shop to be located in a new building at the corner of Texas Ave & Villa Maria. That coffee shop is supposed to also offer Starbuck's products. Man, I need to start investing in Starbucks!

Wow, I was sure given the trend at Northgate that another bar would be locating in that location. Lets see that'll be the third stand alone Starbuck's in College Station not counting Barnes & Noble. There's a new coffee shop in Downtown Bryan serving Starbuck's products and there's proposed coffee shop to be located in a new building at the corner of Texas Ave & Villa Maria. That coffee shop is supposed to also offer Starbuck's products. Man, I need to start investing in Starbucks!

I wonder if they will keep the existing building or rebuild. I hope for the latter, but the way things go around here it seems more than likely they will just do a cheep renovation.

In reference to another thread, it would be nice if they started building it more upscale like this:

bn_large.jpg.

Are they painting University Tower Orange and White???

universitytower.jpg

I noticed that, I thought the white was just a primer. I am just happy they are painting it, I always thought to my self that they should. I just hope that it doesn't come out tacky looking with old colors like they do in Mexico.

wtf why are they painting university tower period? the concrete looks fine. if its painted it'll look tacky

I thought they were just cleaning it at first. It would be all white in one section one day, and then the next day it would be tan again. This orange confuses me though.

Why havn't they taken off the "University" part on this side yet? It's kinda strange.

I thought they were just cleaning it at first. It would be all white in one section one day, and then the next day it would be tan again. This orange confuses me though.

Why havn't they taken off the "University" part on this side yet? It's kinda strange.

The current owner is trying to remarket University Tower as a hotel again instead of a private dorm which its been for at least the past 10 years. I'm assuming they're going to change the name to University (something new) and now that they're repainting the exterior they're just waiting to get that section done before putting up the new name. Thats just my guess though. When the building was originally converted into a private dorm from a hotel it was a real success for several years. However, because enrollment at A&M has leveled off combined with all the growth in rental units in B/CS the dorm concept began losing money. The owner approached CS a year or so ago about developing their convention center adjacent to the tower but of course the city wasn't interested. From what I've heard the hotel concept is also struggling. Personally, I think they should go ahead and spend the necessary funds to make the tower a premier hotel, office & condo complex. I think there are people in B/CS that would pay to have a high rise view of town on a daily basis. But thats me...I don't sign the checks. I also think it'd be a good idea to develop at least one floor of the new Don Adam, 10+ story office building into high value condos. I think B/CS has grown up enough for that. I'm glad they're trying to update the exterior of University Tower but I have to question painting it as well b/c it had a concrete exterior that didn't require maintenance other than cleaning. Now they're going to have to repaint every few years...plus they're painting it almost the exact same color as the underlying concrete??

• 3 months later...

I am the general manager of a local business and learned today from one of my friends (Owns the local Sonic Drive-Ins) that they are going to open a new location were Mex-In-Go was at University and Highway 6. I asked how she though her Sonic franchise would benefit from such a small area (Gas station location). She told me that this location would have NO car bays. It would strictly focus on Dine-In and Drive-Thru business. So look for a Sonic to open up in the next month or two there. This friend of mine owns the Sonic's at Post Oak Mall, Harvey Rd, Rock Prairie Rd, Texas Ave. S (CS Wal-Mart). So she thinks its a good spot... I guess thats one persons view. It seems to be such a small place for them... Guess we will see.

I really don't see how that could work. I can see it having more business than Mex-n-Go but not nearly as much as any other Sonic in town. Then again, I didn't even know there was a location in the mall, so what do I know. :wacko:

I am the general manager of a local business and learned today from one of my friends (Owns the local Sonic Drive-Ins) that they are going to open a new location were Mex-In-Go was at University and Highway 6. I asked how she though her Sonic franchise would benefit from such a small area (Gas station location). She told me that this location would have NO car bays. It would strictly focus on Dine-In and Drive-Thru business. So look for a Sonic to open up in the next month or two there. This friend of mine owns the Sonic's at Post Oak Mall, Harvey Rd, Rock Prairie Rd, Texas Ave. S (CS Wal-Mart). So she thinks its a good spot... I guess thats one persons view. It seems to be such a small place for them... Guess we will see.

I heard that from someone awhile back also.

• 4 months later...

Archived