Development Update

aggie0083

ARTICLE 1: BRYAN

This year, the city promises even more development and growth.

"We believe it's going to be a very exciting year. There's going to be a lot of new things going on both on the east and west sides," says Kevin Russell, City of Bryan Development Director. And everywhere in between. The Tejas Center will continue to add new businesses to the already successful shopping strip. Across the street a Walgreens will be built and another shopping center.

2818 is booming with new smaller stores and more housing but they all add up to a big change in the area.

The east side will also see more retail and restaurant businesses after the opening of Premiere Cinema by late spring.

And although Russell says you can expect great changes in 2005, he says the best is still to come.

Details of a big project underway are expected next month. The city says that project may be located on the 158 corridor and greatly benefit residents in that area.

Development projects:

Texas Avenue/Villa Maria Rd.: Convenience store, Soundwaves and China Garden will be demolished. Walgreen's and adjacent strip shopping center will appear in its place.

Tejas Center: Now Open: HEB, HEB fuel center, Hastings, Gold's Gym, M&M Storage, Bealls, Payless Shoe Source, JoAnn's Fabric, Brazos Community Church, Sally Beauty Supply, Family Dollar, The Theater Company.

By Early 2005: Carter's Burgers (expanded), Subway, Chef Cao's Restaurant, Kolache Rolf's, Hastings (expanded), Great Clips, Bryan Nail Station, liquor store, possibly a Starbuck's.

Downtown: New diner to be located on ground floor of the Charles Hotel. New Steakhouse (Doe's Eat Place) to be located on ground floor of Howell Building. EarthArt to relocate to Main Street, across from the LaSalle Hotel.

FM 2818/Villa Maria Rd.: Dollar General, Granger (a hardware store), Convenience store, McDonald's, Storage Buildings, Condominiums almost completed.

Villa Maria Road Underpass: Scheduled for Completion in 2007.

Brazos County Expo Center: City of Bryan is currently installing infrastructure to the site.

East Side: Miramont Country Club nearing completion and lot sales are ongoing. Texas Regional Eye Center to be built near Park Hudson. First National Bank headquarters near Park Hudson. Premiere Cinema to open by late spring. Restaurants and retail to follow.

Residential Development: Park Village -- 32 residential lots being planned across Park Meadow near Copperfield Drive. Briar Meadows Subdivision -- 44 residential lots located near the end of Broadmoor Drive. Woodbine Court Subdivision #2 -- 41 residential lots near Coulter Drive and Burleson Drive.

Source

ARTICLE 2: COLLEGE STATION

College Station has new restaurants, businesses and retailers opening their doors.

But it may what the city already has that is the focus of new growth. College Station development is gaining momentum, with no sign of slowing down.

"In 2004, we did have a very strong development year, especially in our commercial sector. We're looking for next year to be pretty commensurate to last year as far as commercial development goes," says College Station Development Director Kim Foutz.

The Artic Wolf Ice Arena will open in April and Foutz says one well-known restaurant is looking to locate in that area. The name hasn't been released but negotiations are underway. And a host of new restaurants, hotels and retailers are already breaking ground.

Foutz says the most significant capital investment this year will be the Game Day Centers Condos. The $20 million project will begin construction around the end of the year and includes residential and commercial development.

Bringing in new restaurants and stores is not College Station's only priority. They also want to redevelop the businesses they already have.

"We have a very strong interest in redevelopment. It keeps us vibrant," says Foutz.

Bryan residents say they don't mind the drive to get to College Station's remodeled shopping centers.

"I shop in College Station a lot and I'm very happy to see all the redevelopment," says Bryan Resident Elaine Waggoner.

"It's nice to have. For us to grow a little bit," says Bryan Resident Debbie Smith.

But it's just the beginning for College Station, whose buying power is attracting the businesses the city is seeking.

More development in College Station:

Game Day Centers: 120 units, 10,000 square feet in retail. Land closing: June Construction: December.

Artic Wolf Ice Arena: Currently under construction. Opens in April.

Wolf Penn Creek: More restaurants and retail shopping.

University Place: 100,000 square feet of restaurants and retail.

Greens Prairie: 300,000 square feet, mix of retail including grocery store, bank, restaurant, and other service stores.

City initiatives and focus continue to be on:

1) Special Districts -- Northgate and Wolf Penn Creek

2) Facilitating redevelopment projects

3) Class "A" business center -- Spring Creek Corporate Campus

Source

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool stuff, was this in the Eagle, or somewhere else? I know KBTX did a quick report yesterday about Bryan development and will do the same today for College Station. From the quick teaser it looks like a new building on University Dr. is Buffalo Wild Wings. While I congratulate C.S., I really hoped Bryan could land that on College Ave., I thought it would have been a good fit where the current Outfitters is. Oh well. :)

Cool stuff, was this in the Eagle, or somewhere else? I know KBTX did a quick report yesterday about Bryan development and will do the same today for College Station. From the quick teaser it looks like a new building on University Dr. is Buffalo Wild Wings. While I congratulate C.S., I really hoped Bryan could land that on College Ave., I thought it would have been a good fit where the current Outfitters is. Oh well.

Just saw the report. Ironic that the two they interviewed shopping in CS were Bryanites. Hopefully the announced Bryan east side development will include retail options not currently available in Bryan, as the demand is here. If they build it, we will come.

As you can see every thing going into the Tejas Center is a bunch of Bull ____!

Tejas Center: Now Open: HEB, HEB fuel center, Hastings, Gold's Gym, M&M Storage, Bealls, Payless Shoe Source, JoAnn's Fabric, Brazos Community Church, Sally Beauty Supply, Family Dollar, The Theater Company.

By Early 2005: Carter's Burgers (expanded), Subway, Chef Cao's Restaurant, Kolache Rolf's, Hastings (expanded), Great Clips, Bryan Nail Station, liquor store, possibly a Starbuck's.

Who gives a ____ about a Family Dollar or a Nail Salon. Everything going into the Tejas center is not of quality. The only thing I would like is the Star Bucks and a few of the others.

What is Chef Cao's?????

That's cool! They otmaticly blank out the bad words!

Carter's is ok, it is no Koppe Bridge or anything. There used to be a chain called Dairy Palace that became Texas Burger, Carter's Burgers is related to those, but changed its name in Bryan because there was already a "Texas Burger" (since closed as far as I know) on Welborn Rd. I'm not sure if there are still Texas Burgers, but Carter's does well with various specials(Steak Burgers cheaper on Tuesdays, etc.) and for generally offering decent burgers for good prices.

Carter's is ok, it is no Koppe Bridge or anything. There used to be a chain called Dairy Palace that became Texas Burger, Carter's Burgers is related to those, but changed its name in Bryan because there was already a "Texas Burger" (since closed as far as I know) on Welborn Rd. I'm not sure if there are still Texas Burgers, but Carter's does well with various specials(Steak Burgers cheaper on Tuesdays, etc.) and for generally offering decent burgers for good prices.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Do you mean University Drive?

There is big time development on both side of the street spread out. The Right side of the street comming over the University drive bridge is Bryan, and the Left is College Station. Thats a part of town thats growing fast.

The College Station development is called Crescent Pointe I believe, the Bryan side is Park Hudson. Seems like the C.S. side plans to have alot of medium density residential, I hope that this is of a high quality because it will basically be an entrance to the southeast development of Bryan. Bryan has annexed along Hwy. 30 all the way to Cole on the East side of the highway. To give an indication just how far south that is, it is about even with Emerald Parkway.

The major new subdivision is Don Adam's Miramont. There doesn't seem to be too many new homes going up there, Traditions has many more new starts. I'm sure the Castle will have neighbors soon enough though.

Bryan has annexed along Hwy. 30 all the way to Cole on the East side of the highway. To give an indication just how far south that is, it is about even with Emerald Parkway.

It is just me or does it seem strange for this little strip of land to be a part of Bryan. It seems like this should be College Station territory since the border is usually near University Drive.

I really don't understand ETJ's(extra-territorial jurisdictions), but apparently the east side of Hwy. 30 is fair game for Bryan. The BISD territory actually extends west of Hwy. 30 to just outside of the subdivisions along Hwy. 6(Emerald Forest, Raintree, Windwood). I don't know if that remains BISD territory if C.S. annexes it or not, I would think there would be some agreement for a transfer when that occurs, but who knows?

I did some reading on College Station's website about their ETJ and came accross a partial explanation for why certain areas are in it and some are not:

"The ETJ extends a specific distance from the City Limits based on population. As

a city with a population between 50,000 and 99,999, the ETJ is that area within 3-

1/2 miles of the city limits except where the cities of College Station and Bryan

have negotiated ETJ boundaries."

College Station's ETJ as of 2002

It looks as if the BISD boundary follows Carter's Creek on the east side of the cities. If the Crescent Point development soon contains multi-family residential as plans call for, I guess we will see where the kids would go to school, as it is currently in the BISD attendance zone. Perhaps the reason no College Station elementary is east of Hwy. 6, north of Rock Prarie is because CSISD knows that their boundary is just a few hundred yards from the developments of Windwood, Raintree and Emerald Forest.

Hmmm, I think a Class A Baseball team could be good in Brazos County.  They could play at Olsen Field until they built a new stadium--which could be in the College Station City Center area, possibly.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Wolf Pen Creek area would be good for something like this too.

• 2 weeks later...

The big announcement next month from the City of Bryan might possibly be one of a Super Target going up on the eastside. I was told off the record by one of the bigwigs in the City's Planning and Development department back in December that the city was in heavy negotiations and was very close to closing the deal with Target's parent company.

The big announcement was supposed to be in Feb. and is referenced in the opening of this thread,

"And although Russell says you can expect great changes in 2005, he says the best is still to come.

Details of a big project underway are expected next month."

SuperTarget anchoring a retail and clothing center would be nice. I think this town could handle another Best Buy. The current location and one on the bypass. An office supply store would work out on the bypass as well. I worked for Office Depot in another city and they are a great company. I am really surprised that we do not have more office supply places since there are so many professional businesses here.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated March 6, 2005 9:18 AM

City: Kroger to build new store in east Bryan

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

Kroger plans to build a 70,000-square-foot grocery store at North Earl Rudder Freeway and William Joel Bryan Parkway that will serve as the anchor of a new retail development project, Bryan city officials said last week.

The site will include an additional 26,000 square feet of space for other retail businesses.

Well, I had hoped for something a little more than that...

I had heard about a possible Kroger some time ago and forgot that it was not a news item, so this was not surprising, or exciting, to me. I'd like to think that the 26,000 sq. ft. of retail will be something special, but that just doesn't seem like much room. An office supply store alone typically has more square footage, so I really don't see how two "big box" retailers could fit.

That said, if the center has half the businesses as the Kroger Signature center at Rock Praire Rd., then I'll be happy.

Article 5 LINK

Bryan officials look for direction - literally

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

Visitors to Brazos County might not know about the George Bush Presidential Library, Northgate entertainment district or historic downtown Bryan, so the Convention and Visitors Bureau wants to help them find their way.

Barry Biggar, president and CEO of the Bryan College-Station Convention and Visitors Bureau, is making a presentation on

• 2 weeks later...

on http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread...?threadid=70016

Texas A&M/

College Satation

Mopacs Spent this past weekend in Bryan/College Station, TX. I don't have much of a chance to visit, but with the weather pleasant for the first time in weeks (Sunny, 80 degrees), I decided to take the drive.

Here are shots of College Station and the Texas A&M Campus. The entire city was pretty much devoid of activity, as this is Spring Break Weekend:

Engineering complex, near the northern edge of campus:

DSCN6917-vi.jpg

DSCN6912-vi.jpg

DSCN6900-vi.jpg

DSCN6926-vi.jpg

The school of meteorology:

DSCN6889-vi.jpg

DSCN6885-vi.jpg

DSC05556-vi.jpg

DSC05578-vi.jpg

Daddy Dubya's presidential library:

DSCN6790-vi.jpg