Development Update

aggie0083

DSCN6800-vi.jpg

DSCN6793-vi.jpg

DSCN6805-vi.jpg

Here's a sculpture symbolizing the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Soviet empire. The 'wall' in this scuplture is a replica of an actual portion of the wall inside the Museum:

DSCN6819-vi.jpg

As a UT grad, I loathe to post this shot, but when in Rome...

DSCN6937-vi.jpg

Shopping and commercial development along Texas Avenue, just south of Campus:

DSCN6947-vi.jpg

DSCN6949-vi.jpg

This strikingly tall tower (11 stories when complete) rises above the empty fields on the far east side of College Station (about a mile east of the Higway 6 bypass). It will be the headquarters for First American bank. This is about 5 or 6 miles east of the A&M campus.

DSCN6975-vi.jpg

DSCN6977-vi.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mopacs ] Took a day trip to Bryan/College Station, TX this past weekend.

Bryan (population approx. 70,000) is looking much better these days, with a once-run-down downtown area restored and more vibrant , and once dead shopping centers remodelded and full of shoppers.

Here are some shots taken of downtown Bryan on Saturday 3/12 (an 80 degree day). If the streets appear a little empty, its because this is Spring Break weekend at nearby Texas A&M University:

Here's the recently-restored LaSalle Hotel in downtown Bryan:

DSCN6659-vi.jpg

DSCN6648-vi.jpg

Looking north up Main St

DSCN6645-vi.jpg

DSCN6642-vi.jpg

DSCN6655-vi.jpg

DSCN6678-vi.jpg

For reference, here's a shot taken 3 1/2 years ago, before the current restoration:

DSC05507-vi.jpg

DSCN6706-vi.jpg

Even the Dollar General store looks good:

DSCN6724-vi.jpg

DSCN6726-vi.jpg

This is the site of the old Palace movie theater, which had been destroyed by a fire. It has since been restored as an outdoor concert/events venue:

DSCN6693-vi.jpg

DSCN6679-vi.jpg

City Hall

DSC05510-vi.jpg

The Carnegie Public Library:

DSCN6698-vi.jpg

DSCN6658-vi.jpg

Here's one building in desperate need of restoration, the old Queen theater. From what I am told, this theater was run-down even 30 years ago. This could be another gem for downtown if someone could invest in the property:

DSCN6712-vi.jpg

DSCN6667-vi.jpg

And finally, here's a few shots from the city's bustling east-side, on Briarcrest Ave:

DSCN6616-vi.jpg

DSC05629-vi.jpg

Regarding downtown Bryan's Palace Theater...it was destroyed by a fire in the mid-20th century and subsequently fully rebuilt. In the late 1980's the building's roof completely collapsed (no one was inside at the time so there were no injuries), and afterwards in when the city turned it into an outdoor facility.

• 1 month later...

Wow! Those bring back some memories. Downtown Bryan is looking good. I lived in BCS when it was the hood. (1992-1997).

I haven't seen the new Chemical Engineering Building, across form the McDonalds on University.

I need to back to BCS and have a look around.

Scotch, I saw that in the paper the other day and I was going to post it, but I thought all of the others from BCS had left me and no one would care. anyways, I only wish it was going up in Bryan. It seems like they are taking forever on the movie theater.

There are going to be some truly exciting things happening in Bryan over the next few years, but as is the case with most development, it must be kept under wraps by those in the know until details are finalized. Don't worry, the best is yet to come...

There are going to be some truly exciting things happening in Bryan over the next few years, but as is the case with most development, it must be kept under wraps by those in the know until details are finalized. Don't worry, the best is yet to come...

How do you know this? Is it a shopping center? Resturants? I hope your not talking about that new Kroger. I already new about that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i know a nice little touch to downtown bryan no one ever though about:

Better signage

I had to go to the bryan library(the cs one looks short on books) and when i was driving out i heard a train and i didnt want to get stuck by it but i had no idea which track it was on and i had to find some way to get out but i couldnt see any thing due to parked cars and had to wait for the damn thing to pass. some flashing"TRAIN APPROACHING ON -STREET NAME HERE- WHEN FLASHING" signs like ive in other small towns with a ton of railroad tracks would be nice.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bryan/College Station is finally getting a UPN. We use to have one out of Waco until theres was bought out by some Mexican channel. Then we went about 5 years with no UPN. Now finnally we will get our own UPN basied in our own town (I think) I saw the commercial on kbtx. It had some music in the backgroud with a big UPN sign on the screen and red in the back and some one said something like UPN is comming to Bryan/College Station.

• 3 weeks later...
Bryan needs a Burger King.

Hey, I know this an old post but FYI I've got it on good authority that the Pete's Exxon at the corner of Villa Maria and 29th is going to be torn down/and or converted into a Burger King. Pete's is going to build a new garage on the vacant lot next door. I bet it'll be packed 24/7 with Blinn being right there.

Hey, I know this an old post but FYI I've got it on good authority that the Pete's Exxon at the corner of Villa Maria and 29th is going to be torn down/and or converted into a Burger King. Pete's is going to build a new garage on the vacant lot next door. I bet it'll be packed 24/7 with Blinn being right there.

How did you know that? Can you tell us more? That's really good news. When will it happen? So its it the one by that carwash across the street from St. Josephs?

That's bizzare, I guess he is giving up the gas business?

Yes, Pete's is the one closest to the carwash...in front of Crestview. A co-worker of mine knows the owner relatively well and was told about the change. Supposedly he's not making any money on the sale of gasoline so he's going to let that portion of the business go and focus on auto repair only. From what I was told it should happen within the next year. Its supposed to be a pretty nice development as repair shops go because St. Joseph owned the vacant lot next door and they were very particular as to what was going there before they agreed to sell.

Yes, Pete's is the one closest to the carwash...in front of Crestview. A co-worker of mine knows the owner relatively well and was told about the change. Supposedly he's not making any money on the sale of gasoline so he's going to let that portion of the business go and focus on auto repair only. From what I was told it should happen within the next year. Its supposed to be a pretty nice development as repair shops go because St. Joseph owned the vacant lot next door and they were very particular as to what was going there before they agreed to sell.

Thats good to here. I think its a Auto repair shop across the street from there too. So is it just a Burger King or somemore stuff to? What else do you know thats coming to town? I heard a while back the we would be getting a Hooters in B-CS. Have any of you heard this?

Thats good to here. I think its a Auto repair shop across the street from there too. So is it just a Burger King or somemore stuff to? What else do you know thats coming to town? I heard a while back the we would be getting a Hooters in B-CS. Have any of you heard this?

I haven't heard of any other developments other than those mentioned in this forum already. At least not lately. The Hooters rumor has been going around for years. This is a rumor as well but from what I heard a Waco investor purchased the rights to the B/CS area from Hooters years ago. However, he either can't get the necessary financing or has lost interest and the Hooters Corp isn't willing to sell any more franchise rights. I read an earlier post here and agree completely that the area along S. College near Carney's, Blarney Stone and Chicken Oil would be ideal for it though. With the proximity of A&M and those other entertainment related businesses it could become a really interesting area.

The entire area that is the trailer park could be redeveloped to include high-end student housing, 2-4 clubs/bars near where Outfitters currently is(that could be moved father back into a newer retail center), and either a cool sportsbar or Hooter's. I have a vision for that area, but unfortunately do not have the means to carry it out...

This is the completed Texas Regional Eye Center located in park Hudson, which was in the article at the start of the thread:

IMG_1131.jpg

View of Adam Corp. building from proposed realigned section of University Dr. near F.M. 158:

IMG_1123.jpg

The entire area that is the trailer park could be redeveloped to include high-end student housing, 2-4 clubs/bars near where Outfitters currently is(that could be moved father back into a newer retail center), and either a cool sportsbar or Hooter's. I have a vision for that area, but unfortunately do not have the means to carry it out...

They are supposed to widden that street in a few years and it is supposed to be Bryans main thoroughfares to TAMU. But I don't know if that will ever happen.

Why are they putting Freebirds over there? Don't we have enough of those on that side of town? How about one in Bryan. I think Downtown Bryan would be a good place for one.

I don't know if they changed their minds or what but the slab is being poured right now for another Freebirds in front of Home Depot on the Hwy 6 feeder road. I can't imagine them having 2 additional locations along University so I'm guessing they've backed out of University Town Centre. I agree though, with the traffic caused by Blinn students traveling back & forth to campus I'd think at some point they'd look at a Bryan location. The owner is a Bryanite afterall. My sister works for Freebirds and she'd been told that one location is opening off of University so I guess the realtor just hasn't updated their website. That is a pretty interesting development though. It reminds me of The Fountains in Sugarland. It should really stand out as far as retail goes in B/CS.

Archived