How Did You Come Out?

houstonmacbro

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmmm. Interesting topic. And some of you are really open and honest. I suppose that is the beauty of these forums. An ability to either be completely open and honest or completely deceitful. Probably depends on the subject at hand.

I look at American society's view of the gay community as a version of the struggles African Americans have had over the decades and generations. Same ____, different issue.

Prejudice is prejudice regardless of race, religion, lifestyle etc. As you all know, most prejudice stems from fear. Fear of the unknown, and then add a couple of bad (isolated) experiences with that object of prejudice, and then all of a sudden stereotypes abound aplenty. ANYWAY, one thing i find very intriguing about the gay community is its lack of understanding of its own power. i will explain. i know there are Gay Pride Parades and such, but unfortunately due to the freedom exhibited during such a gathering, it is not really taken seriously by much of mainstream USA. But think of the force behind the movement- Being gay cuts across all social barriers. I personally know gay Atheists and gay Christians (and by Christian, i mean TRUE Christians who follow CHRIST by exhibiting grace, peace, love and mercy (check out the Biblical Gospels) towards self and others; not religious bigots who hide behind their version of what God says to promote their own hatred, misunderstanding and fear). I know gay people: guys and gals, rich and poor, educated and uneducated, every religion known to humankind, and pretty much every race. I know blue collar gay guys as well as white collar. i even know a gay Episcopalian priest (remember, i live in LA at the moment :lol: ) My point is- LOOK at the network force that cuts across most boundaries which divide most social classes here in the US. If the gay community ever really embraced this power- all of us would see some different attitudes and legislation.

Furthermore, i suppose what REALLY baffles me is the abounding prejudice towards homosexuality. Especially, when psychologists and socialogists can detect that all humans go through a "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" toward the same sex, during certain stages of their lives. AND the fact that medical science shows that sexuality (genitalia, i mean) doesn't develop until the last stages of fetus growth prior to birth. Now, let me get to the social aspect.

OK, so i sort of understand the misinformation regarding religious communities. Many OLD TESTAMENT passages talk about the abominations of being gay. BUT those same passages also talk about the abominations of "yoking a donkey with an ox". Good grief- those who do believe in a higher power (God); do we really think God, the Creator of all that is, cares about these things?

But what i don't get, at all, are those who have no religious affliliation or don't really follow any type of religious creed AND still bash gay people. Ummmm, what is the purpose? I mean, where do their ideas of dislike/fear/hatred come from?

Anyway, this is becoming a novel and i didn't intend it to- For those of you who were so open and honest about this- good for you and good luck! Those who like to party- be safe. Those who want a deep, monogomous relationship- i wish you a true partner. Those of you still struggling- just know, not everyone out here "hates" you.

Social change always takes time. Be patient.

walk with Light,

marc.

Archived