Record Breaker slated for Chicago?

• 3 weeks later...

Again, I ask ... "why?" I mean, is it just to have the psychological desire to have 'the biggest one?" If so, that is a silly reason, but I understand potentially an economic one.

I would prefer to see buildings built because there is a NEED for it (space is a premium, you have major tenants or retailers or the public that needs new space or housing, etc.).

It would never get financed if the bankers and developers didn't expect sufficient tenants to fill it up. Hence there is a need for it.

I heard that the original twin towers (in NYC) depressed office rents for years. It was built when there wasn't really a need for that much office space on the market all at once.

I heard that the original twin towers (in NYC) depressed office rents for years. It was built when there wasn't really a need for that much office space on the market all at once.

Originally, the WTC towers were supposed to be just for companies involved in international trade (hence the name). That's how they justified the public funding for the complex. But when the towers opened, there were only two small tenants not named "U.S. Postal Service," so they eventually opened it up to any business.

Interesting reading on the history of the WTC, from conception to the aftermath of 9/11/01.

http://www.amazon.com/City-Sky-World-Trade...1844&sr=1-1

• 6 months later...
How many "D" batteries you think that thing takes?

lol, no kidding. If there were ever a building that'd validate the theory of skyscrapers as phallic symbols, I think this would take the prize. I half-expect that some genius is going to pardoy an Extenze commercial to the theme of this building, akwardly emphasizing the word larger in every sentence, and then post it on YouTube.

FWIW, the Spire is up to about the fourth story. 146 to go.

I've been posting updates about the Chicago Spire at HAIF's sister site, Chicago Architecture Info.

Here's the latest renderings:

ChicagoSpire-005.jpg

ChicagoSpire-007.jpg

This is the location where it's going before construction started:

FordhamSpire-003.jpg

The Spire will have dedicated on and off-ramps to the double-decker bridges of Lake Shore Drive in order to reduce the amount of additional traffic in the neighborhood (called Streeterville).

Just curious where you got 4 stories from? :rolleyes:

Here's the current look of the lot:

I got 4 stories from casual observation. That photo you linked to to on Wikipedia is from August 22 so it's hardly "current" (almost exactly three months old). :rolleyes:

My reference comes from walking past it the site on the day before Thanksgiving.