Ideas For School Safety

VicMan

I want to ensure that all Houston-area schools (from primary all the way to university) place these measures to prevent any Chos or any other disasters:

* All doors must be of steel and must have locking mechanisms

* All campuses and buildings must bear live security cameras that are monitored by various groups of people

* Police should be stationed in each building - I would have one officer per 200-400 students.

I want to ensure that all Houston-area schools (from primary all the way to university) place these measures to prevent any Chos or any other disasters:

* All campuses and buildings must bear live security cameras that are monitored by various groups of people

* Police should be stationed in each building - I would have one officer per 200-400 students.

hmmm. yeah. that should solve it. :wacko:

hmmm. yeah. that should solve it. :wacko:

It's a start though. Arent many schools all over the country already taking some of these measurements?

The second issue is if you single out a certain student someone is bound to yell discrimination, so you see were right back where we started. Time to join a cult! or a revolution number 9. :lol:

The second issue is if you single out a certain student someone is bound to yell discrimination,
unfortunately, this is where the main problem orginates. someone can be so sick but will the 'world" step in to help without getting into trouble? as for having doors with locks. let's hope you're not on the wrong side of the lock.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to send all school age children to countries that are not so obsessed with guns and violence? Maybe we could work out a deal with Canada to educate our kids. After graduation, they could return to the US and apply for concealed handgun permits.

I think all schools should install wireless transponders in every hallway to allow the quick and easy triangulation of any student. This is because GPS works poorly indoors due to weak signal.

After this triangulation system is installed, each student will be required to wear a locater bracelet as a condition of attending school.

Built inside the bracelet is a microphone that transmits back to a central databank and records all conversations made by the student, e.g. threats.

Also included in the bracelet is a TASER-like device capable of immediately delivering a lethal or near-lethal electric shock either a.) upon command from the central authority or b.) upon detection of strong noise fitting the profile of gunshots, yelling, or threatening an authority figure.

The technology obviously exists in the current state of the art in probation/parolee tracking bracelets and "invisible wire" electric fence systems for pets.

Edited by Ian Rees

unfortunately, this is where the main problem orginates. someone can be so sick but will the 'world" step in to help without getting into trouble? as for having doors with locks. let's hope you're not on the wrong side of the lock.

A Virginia court found him to be mentally ill and a danger to himself and others. He also had a history of stalking people and angry outburts in classes that were reported by the professors. It seems like the world did step in, but stopped short of committing him. I'd like to know what disqualifies you from purchasing handguns in Virginia because all of that stuff should.

I think all schools should install wireless transponders in every hallway to allow the quick and easy triangulation of any student. This is because GPS works poorly indoors due to weak signal.

After this triangulation system is installed, each student will be required to wear a locater bracelet as a condition of attending school.

Built inside the bracelet is a microphone that transmits back to a central databank and records all conversations made by the student, e.g. threats.

Also included in the bracelet is a TASER-like device capable of immediately delivering a lethal or near-lethal electric shock either a.) upon command from the central authority or b.) upon detection of strong noise fitting the profile of gunshots, yelling, or threatening an authority figure.

The technology obviously exists in the current state of the art in probation/parolee tracking bracelets and "invisible wire" electric fence systems for pets.

Let's do it!

Not trying to be silly but if they can install a chip into dogs and other animals to track them couldnt this same technology be used to alert people. Yes, it will get that scary if it hasnt started already. Not surprised if newborns are having tiny hidden microchips implanted. So we will all be like "On-Star" vehicles. That same idea could incorporated somehow. This morn on NPR they said text messaging is a realistic approach since 90% of students carry cell phones anyway. :huh:

A Virginia court found him to be mentally ill and a danger to himself and others. He also had a history of stalking people and angry outburts in classes that were reported by the professors. It seems like the world did step in, but stopped short of committing him. I'd like to know what disqualifies you from purchasing handguns in Virginia because all of that stuff should.

Sen. Leahy is discussing this at this exact moment in the Gonzales hearing.

the world didn't step in. no one would push the issue most likely for fear of reprisal.

the world didn't step in. no one would push the issue most likely for fear of reprisal.

NPR reported that the schools are extremely reluctant to pursue even misdemeanor charges because they are required to report the # and types of crimes committed on campus. They force students into on-campus arbitration to keep the numbers low. Criminal charges of stalking/harassment/etc would have made it difficult or impossible for him to obtain the weapons legally.

sounds like you have to be monitored.

NPR reported that the schools are extremely reluctant to pursue even misdemeanor charges because they are required to report the # and types of crimes committed on campus. They force students into on-campus arbitration to keep the numbers low. Criminal charges of stalking/harassment/etc would have made it difficult or impossible for him to obtain the weapons legally.

he had charges against him already. the databases reviewed were not the ones where the problems were and hence he was able to purchase the guns.

You know thats been going on for many years. Imagine if word got out that a specific University has had high rates of crime? Most parents would send the kid somewhere else thats safer. End result, bad publicity and school loses millions of $. Vicious cycle.

Same goes for new subdivisions. If word got out that crime was high potential new buyers will look elsewhere. Its all about mula.$$$ :(

Answer: Home School.

just as long as your mom isn't named andrea.

Yes, I read that she was the valedictorian of Milby High School. I read that MHS has the largest enrollment of any school in Houston.

Naturally, kids who are home-schooled by parents who are Jehovah's Witnesses don't say The Pledge of Alliegence. They regard that as idol worship.

Anyway, a shooting is a shooting. I don't see it any different because it happened at a school, a government office, an office building, etc.

I absolutely don't want to support any additional loss of liberty out of fear of bad events (neither do most people, apparently, I wonder what the arrest rate for DUI is in terms of absolute percentage of occurances).

So how do you balance the preservation of rights with identifying and helping people who are mentally unstable. It's complex and no one has been able to solve it. Even if there was a solution, it'd be another fight to get the funding required to implement any kind of public mental health services (we've seen budgets for these slashed and slashed for decades.)

Further restricting the rights and movement and identity of poor school kids -- even more than they already are -- is probably a poor solution at best, a bandaid. At worst it will result in even further blandification of youthful minds, an even more subservient society.

I think Florida State is doing a pretty cool thing. They are getting everyones phones and incase of any emergencies they are gonig to text the students. This is the quickest, easiest and most efficient way according to the school. I agree completely I think it may happen at a lot more schools pretty soon.

I think Florida State is doing a pretty cool thing. They are getting everyones phones and incase of any emergencies they are gonig to text the students. This is the quickest, easiest and most efficient way according to the school. I agree completely I think it may happen at a lot more schools pretty soon.

i would think like an audible campus system would be better. i know i dont always have my phone with me.

i would think like an audible campus system would be better. i know i dont always have my phone with me.

i think for commuters it is pretty good. How do you get intouch with 13,000+ commuters at big schools if they have this problem? An audible system would be nice, they have one in SF for eartquakes etc.. but anything would be good

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to send all school age children to countries that are not so obsessed with guns and violence? Maybe we could work out a deal with Canada to educate our kids. After graduation, they could return to the US and apply for concealed handgun permits.

Did you go to school in Canada Red ? I went through the PUBLIC school system and a state college, and so did alot of my friends, none of them have picked up weapons and decided that "this is the day it all ends, this is the day I end my life, and oh what a life."

There are just sick people in this world who do bad things, then no one wants to hold THEM accountable for THEIR actions. It is always society's or someone else's fault. Nobody forced Cho to buy a gun and go on a rampage, Cho tricked the system, when he was put into it, humans are fallible, that's what makes us human.

All you can do is increase measures to try and combat such tragedies like VT and UT back in the 60's and Columbine. All the shooters in these cases came from a decent upbringing, they were NOT poverty stricken teens who grew up in deplorable conditions. They were all just sick twisted individuals who needed a hug and a slap, to let them know to quit feeling sorry for themselves and try a little interaction and join the human race.

Like Chris Rock said, if you want to cut down on shootings, make bullets cost more than the guns, make a bullet cost $1000 a piece.

i know the last two days there was a problem with blackberry's network. people weren't getting their messages.

I am a blackberry owner and it happened to me, 5 million people lost coverage. Tmobile gave me 200 minutes extra next month, plus this month free. Really surprised they did that, I was just wondering why it went down.

Did you go to school in Canada Red ? I went through the PUBLIC school system and a state college, and so did alot of my friends, none of them have picked up weapons and decided that "this is the day it all ends, this is the day I end my life, and oh what a life."

There are just sick people in this world who do bad things, then no one wants to hold THEM accountable for THEIR actions. It is always society's or someone else's fault. Nobody forced Cho to buy a gun and go on a rampage, Cho tricked the system, when he was put into it, humans are fallible, that's what makes us human.

All you can do is increase measures to try and combat such tragedies like VT and UT back in the 60's and Columbine. All the shooters in these cases came from a decent upbringing, they were NOT poverty stricken teens who grew up in deplorable conditions. They were all just sick twisted individuals who needed a hug and a slap, to let them know to quit feeling sorry for themselves and try a little interaction and join the human race.

Like Chris Rock said, if you want to cut down on shootings, make bullets cost more than the guns, make a bullet cost $1000 a piece.

chris rock insightful :D , i agree though make it almost impossible to use a gun other than safety. I do think hunting guns should not fill that category though.

chris rock insightful :D , i agree though make it almost impossible to use a gun other than safety. I do think hunting guns should not fill that category though.

The purpose of allowing guns in the United States is neither for personal protection or for hunting, but to create a check on the prospect tyranny.

Some people are dangerous to others and should be in a mental institution before they can act. Cho Seu Hui was clearly one of these people, his rights be damned. He would've been better off anyway. His relatives in Korea were on television today saying that he's been very difficult since he was a child.

We also shouldn't give them guns.

Edited by westguy