Ideas For School Safety

VicMan

where specifically are you requiring these doors?

Classroom doors - The problem with Norris Hall was that the doors were made of wood and some did not lock. The ill-fated French class placed a table against the door, and that did not stop Cho from entering the room.

Classroom doors - The problem with Norris Hall was that the doors were made of wood and some did not lock. The ill-fated French class placed a table against the door, and that did not stop Cho from entering the room.

and if he was in the room and locked it, it would prevent authorities from coming in for a rescue. plus remember the doors usually have windows which can be shot through as well. i'm not sure this would have prevented a thing.

Some people are dangerous to others and should be in a mental institution before they can act. Cho Seu Hui was clearly one of these people, his rights be damned. He would've been better off anyway. His relatives in Korea were on television today saying that he's been very difficult since he was a child.

We also shouldn't give them guns.

I've seen some remarks on this forum that advocate extreme violence against others that is all out of proportion to the alleged wrong committed. What is to stop me from using those posts to get those forum members committed and their guns taken away, just because I think their overly violent solutions are a bit much? What about getting back at irritating neighbors by concocting stories about how "crazy" they are? We already have a criminal system that allowed the entire Duke Lacrosse team to be disbanded and 3 players to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to clear their name, and you advocate expanding it to include people who haven't committed a crime yet?

and if he was in the room and locked it, it would prevent authorities from coming in for a rescue. plus remember the doors usually have windows which can be shot through as well. i'm not sure this would have prevented a thing.

That could have been possible, though by the time Cho entered the rooms, he blocked doorways to prevent escape and fired at will.

The rooms in Norris Hall did not have windows facing the hallway, nor did they have peepholes. The people inside could not track Cho's movements.

Also, normal school lockdown procedures consist of locking rooms and taking cover.

Unless Cho is already inside a room, he would be unable to access any of the rooms if steel doors were installed and lockdown procedures were followed.

I believe the time when a steel door could be a liability would be in the even of a bad guy holding a room hostage.

schools are simply too huge. a high school of 2000 kids is simply controlled chaos. high schools should be as common as elementary schools. the college experience has become a study in prolonged adolescence. high school breakdowns of cliques carry over to college. the culture of a school (college/high school) should reflect the culture of the region and the adult world. it should not be a world unto itself.

efforts to build campuses with the latest technology, and cool architecture, and the best sports programs are futile unless each student is required to be a part of the greater culture. mega-churches that have mastered the "small group" or "cell group" concept are on to something that might be of use to mega-schools.

i've met many people throughout my life who might have faired far better in the adult world had they skipped the high school or college "experience". camille paglia commented in "interview" magazine after the columbine tragedy that the entire construct of our current public education system is a deterrent to well adjusted adults.

without liberty infringement, we cannot put a lid on the current state of things. more personal interaction between all students and faculty is imperative. i do not think this can occur without structural changes in the way we educate.

camille pagila interview

That could have been possible, though by the time Cho entered the rooms, he blocked doorways to prevent escape and fired at will.

The rooms in Norris Hall did not have windows facing the hallway, nor did they have peepholes. The people inside could not track Cho's movements.

Also, normal school lockdown procedures consist of locking rooms and taking cover.

Unless Cho is already inside a room, he would be unable to access any of the rooms if steel doors were installed and lockdown procedures were followed.

I believe the time when a steel door could be a liability would be in the even of a bad guy holding a room hostage.

sounds simple but in reality there are just too many ifs particularly with someone as focused as Cho.

without liberty infringement, we cannot put a lid on the current state of things. more personal interaction between all students and faculty is imperative. i do not think this can occur without structural changes in the way we educate.

now this is definitely another thread.

sounds simple but in reality there are just too many ifs particularly with someone as focused as Cho.

He already gave a demonstration of what he would have done if the door had not opened. He tried to get through, but after moments of failing, he gave up and left. I forget exactly how that room was barricaded.

He already gave a demonstration of what he would have done if the door had not opened. He tried to get through, but after moments of failing, he gave up and left. I forget exactly how that room was barricaded.

again, there are too many unknowns. if you honestly believe lives would not have been lost, then you're certainly not a realist. he was just too focused so that his mission would be fulfilled. imagine him walking into a cafeteria. it certainly could have been worse than it was.

again, there are too many unknowns. if you honestly believe lives would not have been lost, then you're certainly not a realist. he was just too focused so that his mission would be fulfilled. imagine him walking into a cafeteria. it certainly could have been worse than it was.

If he had tried the same shooting in the classroom scenario, but if the doors effectively held as a barricade, then less lives would have been lost in the building if the doors held as effective barricades. Obviously there would be no warning for the first classroom he finds, but the other classrooms would get the hint and close their doors.

The French class had a warning that he was out there.

You are correct, though, that the killer probably held a plan B in case that scenario failed.

Edited by VicMan

You are correct, though, that the killer probably held a plan B in case that scenario failed.

believe me this guy was destined to go psycho. you don't kill 2 people then take some pics/movies and take them to the post office. and then go on a larger killing spree unless you're just not all there. there were just so many failures in general that trying to 2nd guess him now is probably not a smart thing to do.

1 male student had enough wits about him to grab a fellow classmate and grab a long table and hold it against the door. The 2 young men were holding the table at it's ends and across the door. Cho tried pushing his way in and got about 6 inches or so when he rammed against the door, but then the door would close back immediately. Then, thinking that whoever was blocking the door was just on the other side, Cho shot through the door, and tried to push again. After failing a second time to push through, he moved on to another classroom.

Edited by TJones

• The title was changed to Ideas For School Safety