American, What Makes You Proud To Be One?

houstonmacbro

I was in SBUX (Starbucks) this a.m. and noticed something. The entire staff at SBUX was mixed (white male, bi-racial female, Hispanic female, Asian or Pacific Islander female, and a black female). Outside of it being a mostly female staff, I was impressed by one thing. We CAN all get along and be profitable and contributing members of society when we put down our petty differences. I have been to a lot of countries and you would not see such diversity in restaurant workers (or even patrons).

So I started thinking. Why not have a topic that describes "What Makes You Proud To Be An American?" This is timely considering the recent race debate brought on by Don Imus and the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team incident, but outside of racial issues what makes you proud to be an American?

Here are a few of mine and I might chime in later with more:

• Freedom to speak my mind without be jailed or shot
  • Ability to live where I wish
  • A relatively stable economy and a personal higher standard of living than many in the world
  • Multiculturalism and ability to know friends of all races, ethnicities, sexes, and sexual persuasions.
  • Ability and freedom to worship how I please, and not workship if I do not

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic, bro. I will delve into it later as I have to get to the poker table in the All American activity of taking all the cash I can from my best friends. :lol:

Seriously though, I will reply thoughtfully but seriously I have to redeem myself from last weeks lashing from my Cuban American best friend card shark.

B)

Interesting topic, bro. I will delve into it later as I have to get to the poker table in the All American activity of taking all the cash I can from my best friends. :lol:

Seriously though, I will reply thoughtfully but seriously I have to redeem myself from last weeks lashing from my Cuban American best friend card shark.

B)

What happened? Did he say he would introduce you to his "Little Friend" if you didn't pay up? :D

What makes me proud ? I am proud because I live in a country where people actually VOLUNTEER to fight for it, and they WANT to fight for it, and aren't forced to enlist or serve by a Tyrannical Emperor. I am proud because we have a free capitalist market system, where the law of supply and demand is king. I am proud that I am able to work adn live in a country that allows me to have freedom as long as I do not tresspass on others freedoms, and as long as they respect my freedoms everything is gravy. I am proud because I am in a country where a pauper can become a prince with the announcement of a few numbers on TV. I am proud because I live in a country where people are expected to be governed without fear of being awakened in the night by gestapo forces as long as you are a law abiding citizen. I am proud that I live in a country that is what ALL other countries, who truly want peace and prosperity, aspire to be. To live in a country where everyone's uniqueness is what makes our country unique is what I am proud of. I am proud that I actually have a voice in the way this country gets shaped by our "leaders" and if I don't like the way they do it, I can try to change that by organizing and trying to change other's view without fear of revenge from those I oppose in Govt. What I am most proud of, is that my children will also have the chance to be a proud American as I will be able to show them what opportunities they will have because they are in this country.

Why not have a topic that describes "What Makes You Proud To Be An American?"

What a great subject!

I'm proud to be an American because my ancestors (well, some of them) have been here since the 1600s. Some fought in the Revolution (and one of them had a medal pinned on his chest by George Washington.) The pride I feel about my ancestors is purely personal. In the greater scope, it really doesn't matter.

And the person who achieved citizenship today has the same rights as I do. Good! We're a country perpetually in revolution. We elect people; we toss them out. We empower people; we rein them in when necessary. Are we a purely capitalistic society? Of course not. Just look at the Anti-trust laws and the New Deal.

We're the biggest, best, messiest experiment ever. Whether it works is up to us. Do you vote? Do you show up for jury duty? Do you insist on justice?

These are all characteristics of the ideology of Liberalism.. the US was the first experiment in this doctrine, but people should realize it's not the only example. Most of what we call the 'Western World' follows more or less the same philosophy and all the criteria mentioned here apply to varying degrees.

So, yes, I'm proud of the triumph of Liberalism. But as I said earlier, I don't have any nationalistic attachment to the United States. Don't forget the US has its fair share of skeletons in the closet... any number of official actions in our history are outright betrayals of our political ideology... so to me, most of the Western Democracies are more or less equal in terms of appeal. I'd have no objection to moving out of the US tomorrow morning if my work took me someplace exciting and new.

There are plenty of places worth living outside of Houston, TX. I expect to explore the opportunity in the future. Sure I grew up in the Houston area. I grew up in the United States. But I also grew up on Earth. What level do I owe my allegiance to?

Edited by Ian Rees

There is no one or few best thing. it is a combination of a lot of stuff. If we pinpoint just one or a few things, i can easily find better ones aboard.

subdude mention supermarkets, i have seen better, fresher selections and better designed supermarkets aboard. I prefer farmer markets more anyway.

someone mentioned freedom to do a lot of stuff. I think there is even more freedom in places like Amsterdam.

And food, gosh, i can't even begin to say how much we are missing out on food. And if we filter in houston, we are missing out on even more.

The thing is we have a combo of above average things to be happy about, some best, many average, but no where else can you get such a variety.

In that sense, the US is like one giant supermarket, with lots of opportunities to be happy.

Edited by webdude

Is it though? If you had a good opportunity from a foreign firm should you turn it down just for not being in the US? I'm kind of facing this situation myself at the moment.

Not like you can't come back if you don't like it.

I admire ppl who can get out of their comfort zone to live in (not just visit) places they have never been before. You will gain better perspectives having live in other cultures and places, or gain a better appreciation of when you have been.

Some ppl will stand in one place forever (literally and figuratively) and think that that is all there is. In this thread, I say we are all a little bias about how good US is, but until you take up an offer like this, you can never really know whether it is better or worse outside. I say go for it.

Edited by webdude

it isn't pitiful to live elsewhere. the way he said it sounded like a slam.

I didn't pick that up at all.

Yeah, I think it is the variety of everything. Nowhere else, save for PERHAPS Great Britain do you get such a mix of cultures.

With the possible exception of London, I don't think the UK has nowhere near the degree of diversity as America.

subdude mention supermarkets, i have seen better, fresher selections and better designed supermarkets aboard. I prefer farmer markets more anyway.

Might I ask where? I haven't seen anything comparable to the US standards for selection, price, and cleanliness.

Well, there's this:

what makes me proud to me an american?

well i can eat chinese food from 888 and enjoy it.

..and then there's this:

These are all characteristics of the ideology of Liberalism.. the US was the first experiment in this doctrine, but people should realize it's not the only example. Most of what we call the 'Western World' follows more or less the same philosophy and all the criteria mentioned here apply to varying degrees.

So, yes, I'm proud of the triumph of Liberalism. But as I said earlier, I don't have any nationalistic attachment to the United States. Don't forget the US has its fair share of skeletons in the closet... any number of official actions in our history are outright betrayals of our political ideology... so to me, most of the Western Democracies are more or less equal in terms of appeal. I'd have no objection to moving out of the US tomorrow morning if my work took me someplace exciting and new.

...and this:

that's pitiful.

That's one of the great things about the US. You can freely go from mundane to eloquent to snarky in three clicks of a mouse.

I'm glad I'm a US citizen even though it's an uphill fight to secure the same rights most people have. I also would't be adverse to living elsewhere if the opportunity arose.

I'm also glad to live in the US if I get sick-especially in Houston.

B)

I have a strong belief that gays will eventually be granted something with rights 'like marriage' ... not sure why so many people get so hung up on the word 'marriage'. Anyhow, we'll all learn to live together one day. When we are sick and tired of being sick and tired of hating one another.

I didn't pick that up at all.

With the possible exception of London, I don't think the UK has nowhere near the degree of diversity as America.

Might I ask where? I haven't seen anything comparable to the US standards for selection, price, and cleanliness.

Uk has many of the best, Couple of years ago,

I saw one good one in new zealand. don't remember the name.

The recent one I am impressed with would be the supermarket at the basement of taipei's 101 building. Don't know the name.

Carrefour is one that comes up easily, like walmart but pretty good too.

And the ones I love best are the ones in japan and taipei. Quality and cleanliness can easily beat the US ones. Maybe lose out in size, but cleanliness and quality, wow, fruits so polished and nicely packaged its unbelievable. Price is comparable.

The pastry section of the above mentioned is much better than the ones we get here. And I think I am bias towards supermarkets that has built in food court. Not starbucks and donut shops or hotdogs, but full fledged food court with many many tiny stalls of awesome cooked food in the supermarket.

But I guess you might also be right because I can find some of these supermarkets in parts of US like in hawaii where they do have japanese supermarkets like shirokiya, but still not on par with the ones in japan in terms of quality.

I can agree with you on the bigger size of our supermarkets but not diversity of products. Unless you mean we have the diversity of different types of supermarkets like fiesta and like the ones in chinatown. We do have a lot of different types of supermarkets but if we compare each type with its overseas equivalents, like the ones in chinatown to the ones in asia, ours pale in comparison.

But if we compare it the other way, our more varieties of above average supermarkets to theirs, then we are definitely awesome.

Also, its hard to compare supermarket to supermarket, cause in different countries, they have different shopping habits, not everyone likes giant supermarkets, they prefer their food shopping among several smaller shops clustered in one area. I actually do enjoy those too. Of course we have that in the US too. Not in Houston though.

Edited by webdude

There are plenty of places worth living outside of Houston, TX. I expect to explore the opportunity in the future. Sure I grew up in the Houston area. I grew up in the United States. But I also grew up on Earth. What level do I owe my allegiance to?

You owe allegiance to yourself and none other.

That is what makes me the proud American (family history notwithstanding...a Colonel in the American Revolution who was previously a Lieutenant in the first Ranger company, and was later a delegate to the 2nd SC provincial congress and voted against federalism and the constitution...a Lieutenant in the Harrisburg company of volunteers during the Texas revolution whose wife sewed the first lone star flag, shown in my signature line).

I'm glad to see such level headedness prevail in this thread. When I saw the thread title, I just knew it was going to head straight into an orgy of nationalism. Nationalism invariably leads to terrible, terrible things.. it should be fought at all costs. I thought it'd be sparked by some offhand commend about 'illegals' or 'arabs', like some other theads in this section. But thankfully nothing of the sort happened. :)

And, yeah, about supermarkets... the supermarket resembles the 'market' in the same way a cancerous tumor resembles its original tissue. Food in many other countries is fresher, less pesticides, tends to be tastier because varieties are chosen for taste instead of industrial-scale production, locally grown, etc., etc. Of course I'm not going to say American food is less safe than say, a market in Senegal, but compared to say, Japan, France, Spain, places that people take their food very seriously... :)

Edited by Ian Rees

Im proud to be an American because it is the very best country on the face of the Earth! It isnt perfect. It has lots of problems. Even with all of its problems, theres always room for positive change and that makes it perfect for me which contributes to my pride in being American.

Im very greatful for the over abundance of opportunities we have here and i dont waste time attempting to damn this nation at any turn! There isnt a nation on Earth that is 100% comparable to ours and that is another source of pride for me---different and distinct from the rest.

America is forever being imitated, but never duplicated. G-D bless the USA!

It makes me proud to be an american when I drive my big SUV down a big *** freeway. It makes me proud to be an american when I look @ Downtown's Skyline. It also makes me proud to be an american when I remember how shallow Gay people are, which motivates alot of them to be physically fit. I also feel very proud to be an american when I step inside Abercrombie & Fitch.

It makes me proud to be an american when I drive my big SUV down a big *** freeway. It makes me proud to be an american when I look @ Downtown's Skyline. It also makes me proud to be an american when I remember how shallow Gay people are, which motivates alot of them to be physically fit. I also feel very proud to be an american when I step inside Abercrombie & Fitch.

some new lyrics to the old Lee Greenwood song perhaps? LOL