Fat vs Muscle

KimberlySayWhat

I've gained about five pounds over the last several months. I don't know whether it's fat or muscle and It's driving me crazy. I recently upped my reps of abdominal exercises (sit-ups, crunches, etc; I do a different variety each day about five days a week) from 100 dailly to 200. Ok, two of those five pounds can probably be contributed to eating junk, I'll be honest. Muscle weighs more than fat. Could three pounds of that five pound gain be due to the 100 extra reps? I haven't really changed my exercise regimen other than that. I've upped by arm excercises, too, but just a tiny bit. I don't think that would have much effect. I want muscle because it burns calories but I want it in the more inconspicuous places (like stomach). I don't want to look like a man. I can't do this without gaining weight, which doesn't bother me as long as I know it's muscle and not fat.

My question is, can increasing reps just slightly cause me to gain 3-5 (I'll be ok with three) pounds of muscle in about a 2-month span?

My question is, can increasing reps just slightly cause me to gain 3-5 (I'll be ok with three) pounds of muscle in about a 2-month span?

Increasing repetitions will help you gain long/lean muscle tone, increasing weight will help you gain bulky muscle tone.

Diet is key, and really, unless you have done caliper measurements or tape measurements, you really cannot figure out what part of the 5 pounds is fat or muscle with that prior information.

If you have been disciplined with your diet, and diligent at the gym, I would assume it is all or mostly muscle.

Good work. :D

Thanks everyone! My instinct tells me it's about what I already assumed: about half fat/half muscle. I've been just as disciplined with working out, but not as much with my diet. I still eat healthy, but I've been consuming a considerable amount of chocolate among other naughty foods that I used to pretty much restrict to the weekends. I've gotten loose lips around that kind of stuff.

Vertigo58:

180px-RayeHollitt.jpg

Just don't get to this point please! Yuck!

Ick! Never!

I've gained about five pounds over the last several months. I don't know whether it's fat or muscle and It's driving me crazy. I recently upped my reps of abdominal exercises (sit-ups, crunches, etc; I do a different variety each day about five days a week) from 100 dailly to 200. Ok, two of those five pounds can probably be contributed to eating junk, I'll be honest. Muscle weighs more than fat. Could three pounds of that five pound gain be due to the 100 extra reps? I haven't really changed my exercise regimen other than that. I've upped by arm excercises, too, but just a tiny bit. I don't think that would have much effect. I want muscle because it burns calories but I want it in the more inconspicuous places (like stomach). I don't want to look like a man. I can't do this without gaining weight, which doesn't bother me as long as I know it's muscle and not fat.

It is my understanding that muscle is about three times more dense than fat. I've also heard that scrawny little guys can go through boot camp, be fed reasonable portions three times a day, and come out with a weight gain of a couple dozen pounds, almost all of it muscle.

Uhh...If you are doing 200 crunches a day and are concerned enough about 5 lbs. that you posted on here to ask opinions about it, most guys are going to immediately start thinking positively about your body type...and I'd give us pretty good odds on being right.

I lost alot of weight (250lbs last summer) and I went all the way down to 155lbs (january) and now I'm at 180lbs. But I havn't gotten fatter.

That is an achievement, do you have before and after photos you could share?

I lost alot of weight (250lbs last summer) and I went all the way down to 155lbs (january) and now I'm at 180lbs. But I havn't gotten fatter.

Just wanted to add my congrats as well. I hope to match that achievement soon as well. I have a bit of tonnage to lose as well. :(

jsut workingout and diet? did you use just a home do it yourself diet? or did you use something like weighless. I have heard good things, and my mother used it... she was only looking to loss 15, but it helped.... and congrats.

Congrats indeed, that is an incredible feat for a lot of people.

And Kim, I think the combination of 200 crunches a day and loose lips got them hooked. Chahaha. :lol:

Guest Marty

I mention this in the new years resolution topic I went from 232 to 178-182 as of now it varies i feel 100% better.

Height 5' 11"

talbot:

And Kim, I think the combination of 200 crunches a day and loose lips got them hooked. Chahaha.

I specified that it was loose lips around food. That doesn't sound too attractive, but I can see how people might think otherwise. :P

Those 200 crunches don't have much of an effect, vanity-wise, unless I incorporate more cardio (lower abdominal is so hard to target). I think I do enough cardio. I'm not going to look like a model and I don't aim to. I just want to be healthy and would like to age gracefully.

Marty:

I mention this in the new years resolution topic I went from 232 to 178-182 as of now it varies i feel 100% better.

Height 5' 11"

Congratulations, Marty. That takes a lot of discipline.

It is my understanding that muscle is about three times more dense than fat. I've also heard that scrawny little guys can go through boot camp, be fed reasonable portions three times a day, and come out with a weight gain of a couple dozen pounds, almost all of it muscle.

Sergeant Shultz on "Hogan's Heroes" said that all of his weight was all muscle, not fat (I SEE NOTHING, NOTHING!!!).

Well thank you all for the compliments :) I didn't mean to steal Kimberly's thread, but I just gained 30lbs and I am not sure if it is fat or muscle.

But here's me at my heaviest. Forgive the picture, I didn't like to be pictures when I was overweight, and I could only find this one.

2nu7rqe.jpg

horray for acne & obesity! (225lbs)

2qiu3c4.jpg

and here I am at 182lbs.

edit: sorry for taking so long to respond!

I stoped drinking soft drinks, then I started to go outside more, stop sitting around so much. I ate a medium bowl of cereal every morning. I found that I was tired and lazy from not getting a good brekfast. I also tried my best not to eat after 7:00pm. I stoped eating fast food, and I gained enough confidence to join a gym. I got intimidated alot (and embarrased) seeing so many skinny, fit, and "pretty people". I mostly just did the arobics stuff, the bike & tredmill. I started playing Tennis and working out regularly. A good night sleep always felt good, and I only ever drink water. I started swimming too, and I do a little bit of weights now. I also eat slowly, I am still amazed at how full I can get without eating alot if I eat slow.

I also did "burn outs" on weight machines, just keep going until you can't anymore, then lower the weight one level (usually 10lbs) down, and do that until I couldn't, and eventually to where I was only doing it at just 10lbs, and I seriously could not do it anymore. Someone said it was good to do that at the end of your workout, right before you leave.

Lost originally about 70lbs, but I think I've gained muscle... and maybe more fat since january when I was 150lbs. I also went from a waist size 38 to a 31.

Archived