Warehouse District

As I've re-explored the East side of Houston recently, I've got to say this place gives me the creeps. Mostly around the Hardy Yards, when I drive around at night, no one seems to be around. I was stuck at an at-grade-crossing, and the train seemed to last forever. It was raining, and You could hear the steel on steel screeching loudly. That side of Downtown gives me the creeps. Its very haunting.

As I've re-explored the East side of Houston recently, I've got to say this place gives me the creeps. Mostly around the Hardy Yards, when I drive around at night, no one seems to be around. I was stuck at an at-grade-crossing, and the train seemed to last forever. It was raining, and You could hear the steel on steel screeching loudly. That side of Downtown gives me the creeps. Its very haunting.

i would say the hardy yards are north side, not east.

Yep, you were on the north side.

Still, I can understand your perspective. I had a creepy day, myself, prowling around the East End. I've been exploring a few bombed out commercial and industrial buildings lately, scouting for a good investment while the opportunity is still out there. There's nothing creepier than a cold overcast day with a bit of drizzle, when you're walking in the dark over charred debris toward an area where a big chunk of the ceiling fell in, leaving a big gaping hole where ambient light pours in, highlighting each raindrop against the dark background.

I loved it. Great experience.

Question: What time of night are you prowling around? And why?

I tend to think of that as just east of town, too, even though I know that's not really right. (I'm often thrown off by the diagonal downtown layout and have to force myself not to think of Main St. as running east/west.) And I've been exploring around there some recently myself, as well - often because of something interesting I've seen posted here. Only during the day, and in my car, but even then, it is a bit spooky. That's one of the things I've always liked about old industrial areas, though - that slightly sad and creepy feeling that hangs around a place that was meant to be and probably was at one time very busy and productive, but that seems to no longer be of much use to anyone. It can be a bit disorienting to be in an area like that, but I like the out-of-time-and-place feel, especially when it's somewhere so close to downtown. I'm always very interested in others' stories and photos, if y'all feel inclined to share your discoveries.

That's one of the things I've always liked about old industrial areas, though - that slightly sad and creepy feeling that hangs around a place that was meant to be and probably was at one time very busy and productive, but that seems to no longer be of much use to anyone. It can be a bit disorienting to be in an area like that, but I like the out-of-time-and-place feel, especially when it's somewhere so close to downtown. I'm always very interested in others' stories and photos, if y'all feel inclined to share your discoveries.

For the best spots, you're going to have to get out of your car. I recommend the trail along the south side of the Buffalo Bayou between Jensen and York. They've only paved it in a few places, so much of it requires that you hike over the ground and across a deep gully. For effect, I recommend parking at the park at York and walking toward downtown.

Also try driving east on Clinton from Jensen and taking a right on Bayou Street, going into the KBR facility, and checking out the scenic overlook.

Otherwise, just keep your eye out for derelict buildings with access points and walk right on in. Be sure to make plenty of noise; don't startle anyone. That could be bad.

Guest danax
That's one of the things I've always liked about old industrial areas, though - that slightly sad and creepy feeling that hangs around a place that was meant to be and probably was at one time very busy and productive, but that seems to no longer be of much use to anyone. It can be a bit disorienting to be in an area like that, but I like the out-of-time-and-place feel, especially when it's somewhere so close to downtown. I'm always very interested in others' stories and photos, if y'all feel inclined to share your discoveries.

Yes, some who have moved there recently probably did so exactly for that aura. Toned-down and tore up, old buildings standing more as relic reminders of the past than anything going on now, lack of trees and visual organization, the plaintive moaning of the train.....it's really the anti-suburb. Maybe that's why I like going into an old, abandoned buildings.

It exudes loneliness and has that edge of desperation, like an Edward Hopper painting, Experience it while it's still the way it is as the cleansing waters of wealth are upon it.

Question: What time of night are you prowling around? And why?

At various times... anywhere from 11:30pm to 4am. Why? Because its fun. I love that area, and Downtown looks amazing from this angle.

Oh and sorry about the mistake, I always think of it as the east side, because it looks so far removed from what is exactly on the other side of Downtown... The Medical Center, Hermann Park, River Oaks, Rice U., Greenway Plaza, and Uptown/The Galleria.

Edited by Montrose1100

Try all those shacks still up around the 4th ward near those aluminum sided homes popping up on the west side of downtown.

I always have some homeless person banging on the side of my car. . . it is like something out of a scary movie!

Edited by Pumapayam

That is one of my favorite areas of town for bike riding, but of course that is in the daytime. Somehow the "grittier" neighborhoods and industrial areas are always the most interesting. I also love to ride around the ship channel.

They do tend to have the most variety when it comes to site seeing, unlike looking at each copy cat house driveway after the next in newer neighborhoods.

That is one of my favorite areas of town for bike riding, but of course that is in the daytime. Somehow the "grittier" neighborhoods and industrial areas are always the most interesting. I also love to ride around the ship channel.

and the real irony is that in those areas most people consider hardcore or plain scary are where you will find many homes still in original state as when they were built. Developement hasn't reached them yet. See topics under East End - EX: Harrisburg. Hundreds of homes from turn of the century are hidden in the hoods. Society focused on The Heights and these were forgotten. Maybe that was a good thing though. :P

PS, You can find numerous turn of the century homes as close as where Canal and Navigation meet near Guadalupe Church & Olshan Lumber area. Restoration has begun on some already. Gotta love em!