Your family's classic car/s

Vertigo58

Do you remember what cars your mom & dad drove you kids around in Houston back when? I clearly recall we had a 1960 Chevy Belair and a 1958 Chevy Biscayne. What can I say we were sold on Chevies!

58.JPG

Edited by Vertigo58

My mom drove the "Mom Mobile" as we used to call it. It was a i think a 1958/59 Rambler. Then she upgraded in the mid/late 1960's to the "beast". Went to a 1968 Ford Country Squire full sized station wagon with the hideous wood panelling on the side. That was riding in style then :lol::lol:

My dad drove pickups for years when we were kids. ;)

We always had a "big car" -- which was usually a Country Squire or something similar -- and a "little car" which was a four-door sedan, like a Chevy Nova. ("Which car are we taking, mom, the big car or the little car?" That way we didn't have to keep up with whatever model we had at any given time.)

We always bought used cars. My parents never had a new car until a few years ago.

Edited by nativehou

This is what the "beast" looked like. 1967/68 Ford Country Squire Wagon

2dl10d3.jpg

When we lived in Houston in the early 1960s we had a BMW Isetta. It had one door that opened from the front. On HoustonFreeways.Com there's a photo from back then of a traffic jam showing an Isetta right in the middle of it.

We always called the 1960 Chevy the "Cat Eyes car" because of the tail lights. They were very pointy and extended real space-age like ala The Jetson's. We thought we were in the future!

One day we packed in and went to Galveston and had a bump to bump big wreck on the Galveston causeway bridge. All the lights were crushed fron & back I recall we had to climb out of the windows (doors jambed). It was a super cool car while it lasted! I am determined to buy a replica but it will cost 5 times what we paid for in them days! :)

Edited by Vertigo58

Classic Cars Hmmmmm....................

Well, my Pops had one of these, same color and all:

67 Pontiac GTO

67gto.jpg

He had one of these also, again, same color and all:

76 Cadillac Eldorado

do10.jpg

Mom had one of each of these at different times of my growing up in the 70's:

66 Ford Mustang

103299.1966.Ford.Mustang.2-Door.Convertible.jpg

68 Chevy Camaro

68cam-2.jpg

I currently own this one:

72 Olds Cutlass Supreme

14744dsc00747.jpg

I had another back in highschool like the one above, it looked like this though:

can't find the pic. I'll put it on later.

Edited by TJones

You might be surprised...the common family four door type cars from the 60s don't exactly fetch big bucks....

Especially the four doors. You can probably get one for what they DID cost back then Vertigo, it may require a paint job and some reupholstering though.

My parents drove a dumpy Ford AeroStar, which guaranteed, I'd never buy American again.

97_ford_aerostar-1.jpg

So many issues coming from a NEW van that can turn anyone off from ever buying American.

Honda all the way for me.

Edited by Pumapayam

Man, that was way toooo cool! I would live in it it's so cool!

and TJones Cutlass Olds,

Oh my God! and I had one just like it but it was CONVERTIBLE. Sadly, it took a plunge in Galveston Bay but thats another thread for sure!

Keep em coming! :P

You might be surprised...the common family four door type cars from the 60s don't exactly fetch big bucks....

The only car I've owned in Houston (several years ago) was a midnight blue 1963 Dodge:

dscf0001.jpg

(except it was a 4-door sedan, no scoops or mags and de-chromed)

It had an endearing goofy yet ominous quality; looked like something an elderly, severely rural Baptist preacher might drive.

Three-on-the-tree, slant six, woo-hoo! :D

When I was young, my parents had two cars we'd consider classic today.

My dad had a 1985 Lincoln Town Car Signiture Series until 1996 when it was totalled. It was funny because he'd just bought a 96 Caddy a few months earlier as his highway car and had retired the Lincoln to "Town Car" status (pun intended).

It looked like this one, same wheel covers, except it was dark brown, had the brown vinyl top that stopped halfway (vinyl tops were factory options back then), and opera lights at the b-pillars.

li704385.jpg

My mom was driving a 1985 Mercury Cougar when I was born. White with red interior. It had the wire spoke wheel covers like the Town Car.

cars.h72.gif

In 1988, she got this 1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD. It's not her daily driver anymore, but we still have it, my dad drives it around town on some days. It's been in a flood, it's got hundreds of thousands of miles on it, it just won't die!

Here's an actual photo of it

300SD9.jpg

I remember my parents had a 1968 Chevrolet that got passed along from child to child to learn to drive in. I think their theory was that it was a safe car for learning to drive because it was such a tank.

68impala.gif

I don't remember it, but I know that at one point my dad bought a Simca. That's a rare one.

Heres a pic of the original "mom mobile". 1958 Rambler Wagon, except ours was red

Now that is a scary-looking car! :o

We always called the 1960 Chevy the "Cat Eyes car" because of the tail lights. They were very pointy and extended real space-age like ala The Jetson's. We thought we were in the future!

Like this?

1960_Chevy_Impala.jpg

I think the '59 was even more feline:

1959_chev_belair_lr34_404x304.jpg

Do you remember what cars your mom & dad drove you kids around in Houston back when? I clearly recall we had a 1960 Chevy Belair and a 1958 Chevy Biscayne. What can I say we were sold on Chevies!

58.JPG

In 1957 when I was born, I was driven home from the hospital in a red and white 1952 ford crown victoria. My grandma was driving a white and turquoise 1955 chevy at the time and dad had an old chevy pick-up. Later mom got a 1963 impala, then a red 1967 impala and dad got a 1967 cougar. That was the first year for cougar and it was motor trends car of the year. This would be my first car when I turned 16. it had a 287 with a holly carb and dad had put some special electronic spark whatever on it. All I know is that I went thru a set of lifetime shocks in 4 months jumping over the tall train tracks on Altic st. I sure wish I still had that little car.

My brother drove a 1957 chevy ( I dont remember what it was called but all the boys wanted one) it was a 2 dr hardtop with red and black leather interior, then he got a 1967 GTO, a 1969 GTO, a 1967 Chevelle that was stolen in the parking lot of San Jac college when he went to register. What can I say. He was and still is a CAR GUY.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

Like this?

1960_Chevy_Impala.jpg

I think the '59 was even more feline:

1959_chev_belair_lr34_404x304.jpg

Exactly! white walls and everything and the trunk was so huge I could fit in it along with my 3 brothers!

Luckily we never closed the lid :wacko: I recall being small enough & being able to slip my legs throught the steering wheel and rocking side to side!? What was I thinking?! :wacko: Of course you know how huge the circumference was. The thing I recall so well was going to Prince's Drive In and seeing the car hop place her tray on the window and us kids being able to reach over and grab our burgers easily. There was plenty of elbow room. I recall placing the Shrimp basket tray on the huge dash board and placing the drinks on the spacious glove compartment door.From the inside the windshield seemed like we were in a future-istic spaceship, thats why we called it our Jetson's-mobile. I still plan on buying one and cruising Houston again!

1973%20Pontiac%20Grandville.jpg

1973 Pontiac Grandville - my Mom ordered a special color which looked tan on the 3" x 3" color square. However, when it was put on the whole car, it was yellow - almost looked like a taxi. I thought my Mom was gonna cry when we went to pick it up.

Believe it or not Pontiac was considered a pretty good type of car then mostly because it was made by GM. The gas must have flowed through that baby big time! With today's gas prices I wouldnt have blamed anyone for crying! Kind of looks like a car you would see a detective (Colombo) driving around in. Cool. :P

One day we packed in and went to Galveston and had a bump to bump big wreck on the Galveston causeway bridge. All the lights were crushed fron & back I recall we had to climb out of the windows (doors jambed). It was a super cool car while it lasted! I am determined to buy a replica but it will cost 5 times what we paid for in them days! :)

My father also had a 1960 Chevrolet before I was born. There was no floor in the back seat, as it was rusted out. One favorite family story is the time he went to pick up my aunt at the airport. She put her suitcases on the back seat and they fell out on the freeway.

Other cars from my childhood include:

Mom's 1965 Mercedes 190 -white with red leather interior

Dad's 1968 Plymouth Fury - light green with dark green vinyl top and interior

Mom's 1972 Pontiac Lemans - red with black vinyl top and interior (the car Mom wished she had never sold)

Dad's 1973 Chevrolet pickup - orange and white with tan interior

Mom's, then Dad's 1975 Chevrolet Impala - brown with tan interior (hand-me down from Grandma)

Dad's, then my 1986 Ford Pickup - grey with red interior (total lemon, paint flaked off less than a month after we bought it, air-conditioner and power windows went out shortly afterwards, Dad swore he'd never buy another Ford)

Guest danax

This was the first one I remember, a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500, except ours had the black convertible top, not the Skyliner retractable hardtop. Dad had a sort of Elvisish Vaseline hair tonic pompodour. 2jdi34y.jpg

Not sure why he sold that but next was the 1961 Pontiac Catalina.40krrba.jpg This one seemed more futuristic to me. I remember the highly chromed interior and a cool looking AM radio. We even had rear speakers, which was very hip.

We also had a 1973 or so Dodge Dart Swinger that my grandfather had passed along to my parents. It was such a drab little car that we thought the name was ironic and dumb, so we made a point to refer to the car as "The Swinger". ^_^

For many years a similar car (Dart? Valiant?) was regularly seen around the Montrose. Because its styling was so boxy and bland it made a great base for various styling experiments. The owner would regularly change the chrome on the sides to resemble the swoopy styles from the mid-50s, along with two-toned paint jobs in colors appropriate to that era.

He'd also graft on different sorts of taillights and grills - it was as if the car was perpetually at a costume ball. For a while, the roof was cut off midway, giving a landau effect; eventually he removed it entirely, transforming it into a sort of poor man's convertible. I always admired his creativity.

We just had to be "groovy" like everyone else. So mom got us this a 1973 Dodge Polara wagon. All us kids could fit in it and it was just right for our trips to Garner Park and the beach! It was this same very modern 70's olive green color with a nice leather interior. I will always remember that big swing out door in the back. I actually felt unusually safe in this heap.Memories...

tim73.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

We just had to be "groovy" like everyone else. So mom got us this a 1973 Dodge Polara wagon. All us kids could fit in it and it was just right for our trips to Garner Park and the beach! It was this same very modern 70's olive green color with a nice leather interior. I will always remember that big swing out door in the back. I actually felt unusually safe in this heap.Memories...

tim73.jpg

ah olive green :D the color of cars, kitchens and anything else you wanted to look new and snazy

ah olive green :D the color of cars, kitchens and anything else you wanted to look new and snazy

and to note...This is the 1st car I ever wrecked! Was on my way to work at Gulfgate Mall one day. It was raining and I slid into another car entering 45South.Yikes!

She had several accidents within months so we called it a truce and went our ways. See that whole grill and bumper? I smushed/pushed it all the way up in the air! Yaoee!

Edited by Vertigo58