KHOU's airs old "Must-See-TV"

Okay, so what compelled Channel 11, KHOU, to air an HOUR of old school Frasier last night duiring PRIMETIME, anyone have any idea? :huh:

I know Frasier is on syndication on KHOU, but it air originally on primetime on KPRC.

Who knows what was going on at KHOU, were those episodes to racy for TV? :unsure:

Okay, so what compelled Channel 11, KHOU, to air an HOUR of old school Frasier last night duiring PRIMETIME, anyone have any idea? :huh:

I know Frasier is on syndication on KHOU, but it air originally on primetime on KPRC.

Who knows what was going on at KHOU, were those episodes to racy for TV? :unsure:

don't know what what supposed to show but with the competition on last night, 24, dancing with the stars, i doubt anyone was watching 11 anyway.

don't know what what supposed to show but with the competition on last night, 24, dancing with the stars, i doubt anyone was watching 11 anyway.

So instead they air the episodes at 2:00 a.m. last night/this morning? That seems worse!

Roula and Ryan are talking about it too, and they said that it was CBS's call and that Frasier paid for that spot and that we should expect to see that another 4 or 5 times?!?!?!

Say what!

Who they hell wants to watch tired old Frasier?

So instead they air the episodes at 2:00 a.m. last night/this morning? That seems worse!

Roula and Ryan are talking about it too, and they said that it was CBS's call and that Frasier paid for that spot and that we should expect to see that another 4 or 5 times?!?!?!

Say what!

Who they hell wants to watch tired old Frasier?

A better question would be who wants to watch tired old channel 11 at 2am, when you have 500 other channels to choose from ?

A better question would be who wants to watch tired old channel 11 at 2am, when you have 500 other channels to choose from ?

True,

I did not and do not watch "How I Met Your Mother" and have only seen "The New Adventures of Old Christine" once.

What were the shows about last night if it really was about content? For those that knew or stayed up 'til 2:00? :unsure:

I think the New Adventures of Old Christine is a pretty damn good show.

The episode about race, gays, and others with regards to her sons prep school is an all-time classic.

ANYTHING Julia Louise-Dreyfus is GOOD ! She is soooooooo friggin' HOT ! Did anyone see her on Conan the other night?

D-LICIOUS !

Edited by TJones

Could this be related to coverage of "March Madness"?

Channel 11 has preempted Jeopardy! for some damn sporting event, again... :angry:

I was upset by this too! Especially now that Jeopardy is in HD.

I am guilty to admit that (with my wife) I watch How I Met Your Mother, and I can vouch that there is no way that they would have to pre-empt an episode of that with Fraiser, for adult content. It's less complex and "adult" than Fraiser anyway, so I don't see that could be an issue.

I think KHOU screwed up somehow, or perhaps Kelsey Grammer did indeed pay for those time slots. Hey, if they'll let Billy Graham buy primetime air-time, why not Kelsey?

I noticed that, too, on my DVR guide. I was wondering why an old NBC show was airing in primetime on CBS.

You'd think they'd pick CSI or something better, and Kim, that avatar is NOT NICE! :P

It gives me the heeby jeebies!

Could this be related to coverage of "March Madness"?

Channel 11 has preempted Jeopardy! for some damn sporting event, again... :angry:

Spring Break could have been a minor factor too.

i think How I met your Mother is one of the better new sitcoms to come out in some time. it's geared towards 20 somethings, i could see why older adults may not enjoy it, but i think it's brilliant.

luckily my dvr caught it at 2:36am or whatever. i hate KHOU.

• 3 weeks later...

One possibility is that they wanted to take themselves out of the ratings for the night.

If a stations regular programming pattern is seriously interrupted it can ask Neilsen to drop its numbers from that day from the total average.

So, let's say a station did 5 on Monday and 5 on Tuesday, but then on Wednesday was up against serious competition and only got a 1 ((5+5+1)/3). The average for those three days would be 3.67. But if their programming aired out of pattern on the third day, which just HAPPENED to be the same day as the intense competition, then they could get the number dropped, so the average they would report to the advertisers is a 5 ((5+5)/2) instead of a 3.67. In prime time, that change could mean millions of dollars.

This exception system was originally created so that stations that had to interrupt regular programming for breaking news events wouldn't be penalized in the ratings. However, over the years TV consultants have convinced some of the slimier stations to use the ability to drop out-of-pattern hours to cheat the system (and by extension, their advertisers).

This and similar other methods of cheating go on all the time. Ever wonder why Friends episodes went 40 minutes long for one season (and you'll never see that season in reruns because the shows are too long for syndication)? The same reason that Scrubs started at 8:25 instead of 8:30 this week and why American Idol tends to run over its slot by five or six minutes on big nights. It's all a game.

Remember TBS (or was it TNT?) used to start all their shows at 5 minutes after the hour and half hour. Not sure when they gave up that practice.

It was WTBS, but they were doing it long before it became a game for the other stations (they started in 1981, I think).

Part of the logic was that once you'd spent five minutes surfing around the other stations, you'd end up on TBS with a program just starting. I don't know about anyone else, but very often I'll skip a show that I might normally watch if it's already a few minutes in.

The other reason TBS went off the clock (and on to "Turner Time") is because some of the newspaper TV guide grids would offset the station, so it ended up drawing attention to itself that way. Of course, with newspapers around the country dropping printed TV guide sections entirely, it would be kind of pointless now.

It was WTBS, but they were doing it long before it became a game for the other stations (they started in 1981, I think).

Part of the logic was that once you'd spent five minutes surfing around the other stations, you'd end up on TBS with a program just starting. I don't know about anyone else, but very often I'll skip a show that I might normally watch if it's already a few minutes in.

The other reason TBS went off the clock (and on to "Turner Time") is because some of the newspaper TV guide grids would offset the station, so it ended up drawing attention to itself that way. Of course, with newspapers around the country dropping printed TV guide sections entirely, it would be kind of pointless now.

I do remember that, and it dissapeared very quietly, I did not even notice really until you brought it up just now.

It was unique.

Right right ... Hey, was WTBS one of the super-stations like WGN? I remember it on cable, but didn't know it just a local station broadcast on cable (super-station status).

WTBS was the first Superstation. There used to be scads of them, but now there are only seven left. The FCC started the SuperStation program when cable first started out to help the cable companies grow. When it was no longer needed the program was discontinued, leaving just the ones we have now -- WTBS/Altanta, WGN/Chicago, KWGN/Denver, KTLA/Los Angeles, WPIX/New York, WWOR/New York, and WSBK/Boston.

Interestingly, 'TBS and WGN are the only "national" superstations; the others are only regional.