Far East End

Can anyone shed some history on Broadway?

I always wondered why it was named this way? Most larger cities have their Broadways in the downtown areas (like Los Angeles and NY). Why in the world did Houston place it so far out east? I always associated the name Broadway with "Broadway Theater" as in New York.

The more I think of it, the term would make more sense if you think of a ship correct?

There is "broadway" like Starboard side, etc? Being that the area is right on the waterfront/ship-channel and all it only makes more sense. Remember In Poseidon & Titanic it's mentioned?

I also wonder what were the original plans for Broadway? As it has a wide boulevard approach to it, so someone must have had big plans for it once. When the beautiful Broadway Theater was built in 1947 and Milby High School there must have been some great vision planned for that area? There are only a few remnants left of former small business's around Brady's landing (now sleazy bars). It would be bizarre if anyone could produce any old photos along that corridor? :)

I always wondered why it was named this way? Most larger cities have their Broadways in the downtown areas (like Los Angeles and NY). Why in the world did Houston place it so far out east? I always associated the name Broadway with "Broadway Theater" as in New York.

:)

I am sure other folks are more knowledgeable and will provide more detail but I believe before there was Houston, we had the city Harrisburg, hence the street name. Broadway leads into both Harrisburg and Navigation.

I am sure other folks are more knowledgeable and will provide more detail but I believe before there was Houston, we had the city Harrisburg, hence the street name. Broadway leads into both Harrisburg and Navigation.

Yeah, as I recall, the City of Houston annexed the Town of Harrisburg back in the 1920's. So at one time, Broadway was in fact a downtown thoroughfare...just not downtown Houston.

The more I think of it, the term would make more sense if you think of a ship correct?

There is "broadway" like Starboard side, etc? Being that the area is right on the waterfront/ship-channel and all it only makes more sense. Remember In Poseidon & Titanic it's mentioned?

Could broadside be the word you're thinking of? Or gangway? I've never heard broadway used in connection with a ship.

Guest danax

I also wonder what were the original plans for Broadway? As it has a wide boulevard approach to it, so someone must have had big plans for it once. When the beautiful Broadway Theater was built in 1947 and Milby High School there must have been some great vision planned for that area? There are only a few remnants left of former small business's around Brady's landing (now sleazy bars). It would be bizarre if anyone could produce any old photos along that corridor? :)

I'm not sure what plans or grand visions ever pertained to Broadway but any that existed were quickly drowned in the reality and irony of the creation of the ship channel, which brough hordes of poor immigrants nearby.

I've scanned a lot of the old microfiches of the 1900-1910 Post and Chronicle and there were large ads in the real estate section for Magnolia Park and Central Park, both neighborhoods being developed nearby, and these places were being marketed as great investments. There are some large homes from that era still over there, including Brady's son's house, so apparently at that time, there was still optimism. The irony is that Brady owned a huge chunk of that area and pushed hard for the ship channel, which turned out to be a great thing for Houston, but caused his former land holdings to slide into 100 years of slumdom, and Harrisburg slid along with it.

That area is our harbor and waterfront and has potential to be redeveloped into a residential/retail area at some point, like so many other cities have done.

There are some large homes from that era still over there, including Brady's son's house, so apparently at that time, there was still optimism. The irony is that Brady owned a huge chunk of that area and pushed hard for the ship channel, which turned out to be a great thing for Houston, but caused his former land holdings to slide into 100 years of slumdom, and Harrisburg slid along with it.

I wonder if Brady's son's house refers to Brady's Landing (literally an island) where the restaurant Brady's Landing sits near Cypress and Broadway. Shanghai Red's use to be next door to Bradys and was actually there long before Brady's came. It's a shame Shanghai's closed and was eventually torn down.

Could broadside be the word you're thinking of? Or gangway? I've never heard broadway used in connection with a ship.

Seriously though, if you have the Titanic film or the original Poseidon Adventure they refer to the area where the captain or crew walk across a bridge kind of deal on the ships. I did a google but no luck pertaining to a ship. Definetly not broadside though, correct me if I'm wrong though, anyone? :unsure:

I'm not sure what plans or grand visions ever pertained to Broadway but any that existed were quickly drowned in the reality and irony of the creation of the ship channel, which brough hordes of poor immigrants nearby.

I've scanned a lot of the old microfiches of the 1900-1910 Post and Chronicle and there were large ads in the real estate section for Magnolia Park and Central Park, both neighborhoods being developed nearby, and these places were being marketed as great investments. There are some large homes from that era still over there, including Brady's son's house, so apparently at that time, there was still optimism. The irony is that Brady owned a huge chunk of that area and pushed hard for the ship channel, which turned out to be a great thing for Houston, but caused his former land holdings to slide into 100 years of slumdom, and Harrisburg slid along with it.

That area is our harbor and waterfront and has potential to be redeveloped into a residential/retail area at some point, like so many other cities have done.

I read on www.texasfreeway.com that Harrisburg was going to be a freeway connecting eastend to downtown. That sure would have changed the face of eastend. I'm glad that plan didn't go through.

Guest danax
I wonder if Brady's son's house refers to Brady's Landing (literally an island) where the restaurant Brady's Landing sits near Cypress and Broadway.

No, his son's house still exists (barely) at 3805 Wilmer. It's worth a drive-by as it's not likely to be around much longer.

Here's a HAIF topic with some germane info and a link in one of the posts to a photo of the home as it sadly appears today.

Contact PageSoutherlandPage. I think that they did a planning study to that effect for the Port of Houston Authority in the area of Magnolia Park and old Harrisburg a while back.

In a sailing ship the bow is the front of a ship. Also known as fore or forward.

Aft is the rear. Also known as stern.

Starboard is on your right looking fore.

Port is on your left looking fore.

Broadway is a FABULOUS boulevard in Manhattan!!!! :lol:

BTW, I also saw the musical "Titanic" on Broadway-one of the biggest wastes of money in my life.

B)

Most larger cities have their Broadways in the downtown areas (like Los Angeles and NY). Why in the world did Houston place it so far out east?

an 1890 Houston map reference (from the Houston streetcar book by Baron) lists a west broadway, a broadway, and an east broadway. they are all parallel to each other and would currently be hutchins, bastrop, and dowling, respectively.

So maybe someone at one time anticipated combining the three streets into a grand boulevard - although still not in downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late for a reply. These 2 websites give an appreciation for Harrisburg & Broadway was the "Broadway" of Harrisburg in that era. History of the area has been mostly "lost" in the shuffle of transition to an industrial/commercial area.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...s/HH/hvh27.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrisburg,_Houston,_Texas

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a councilmans reception the other day at Brady's Landing. Still looks the same except for a tad of renovation. I dont recall seeing the old Model-T out front they had as a display. It's a miracle the place is still in operation? I hadnt been there since early 90's when the whole office would have a b-day party or the like. The dance floor was really cool. This was when disco's had the floor sunken and you could see everyone dancing below. Whole other topic for sure. :lol:

• 11 months later...
an 1890 Houston map reference (from the Houston streetcar book by Baron) lists a west broadway, a broadway, and an east broadway. they are all parallel to each other and would currently be hutchins, bastrop, and dowling, respectively.

So maybe someone at one time anticipated combining the three streets into a grand boulevard - although still not in downtown.

I wonder why Brady's Landing does not do a better job of showcasing the restuarant? If driving down Broadway you have to really slow down to see where it is. All there is is a small sign or painted letters on that cheesy aluminum wall. (If memory serves well). Visibility is even worse at night.

With the $ they make all they have to do is hire a professional landscaper to beautify ie; add palms, color and a good high concrete wall with nice lettering like you see on hotels, etc. It would be so much more inviting and safer for guests.

You must try the brunch one day, well worth it. It's so strange that this place is so distant from the rest of the world. It's like being on a deserted island. I seldom hear them advertise and never on TV. Worth visiting. :)

I wonder why Brady's Landing does not do a better job of showcasing the restuarant? If driving down Broadway you have to really slow down to see where it is. All there is is a small sign or painted letters on that cheesy aluminum wall. (If memory serves well). Visibility is even worse at night.

With the $ they make all they have to do is hire a professional landscaper to beautify ie; add palms, color and a good high concrete wall with nice lettering like you see on hotels, etc. It would be so much more inviting and safer for guests.

You must try the brunch one day, well worth it. It's so strange that this place is so distant from the rest of the world. It's like being on a deserted island. I seldom hear them advertise and never on TV. Worth visiting. :)

My wife and I eat there every Christmas morning. The food is always fantastic. I've never actually been on just a regular night.

My wife and I eat there every Christmas morning. The food is always fantastic. I've never actually been on just a regular night.

We just recently booked a Sunday for a large event. What they do is place all the food in a row and allow people to pass on both sides and serve yourself. I will attach a link which should list dishes to choose from. Your right the food/desserts are magnifico!

http://www.bradyslandingrestaurant.com/

PS, on a clear sunny day guests have a great view of the shipping areas across the way. Doesnt sound too exciting but its not something you see every day. Makes for light brunch banter.

This place gets quite crowded sometimes. :)

I wonder if Brady's son's house refers to Brady's Landing (literally an island) where the restaurant Brady's Landing sits near Cypress and Broadway. Shanghai Red's use to be next door to Bradys and was actually there long before Brady's came. It's a shame Shanghai's closed and was eventually torn down.

Anyone know why it closed and was torn down? Loved that place! (Not enough, I guess)

Anyone know why it closed and was torn down? Loved that place! (Not enough, I guess)

Maybe your confused, Brady's Landing Restuarant is alive and well and standing. It better be! Not sure what Ralo was trying to relay there. The place is there. :) No cause for alarm. :)

Maybe your confused, Brady's Landing Restuarant is alive and well and standing. It better be! Not sure what Ralo was trying to relay there. The place is there. :) No cause for alarm. :)

You're right that Brady's Landing is still there, but there is a plot of land right next to it that used to be a second restaurant called Shang Hai Red's.

You're right that Brady's Landing is still there, but there is a plot of land right next to it that used to be a second restaurant called Shang Hai Red's.

The former manager of Shanghai Red's lived on my street in the mid-ninties (I was just a kid). I always got the impression that the food was good, always positively reviewed, but that simply not enough people showed up.

Shanghai Red's was more of a disco. We used to party there circa 1990-92? I clearly remember hearing Rick Ghastly's hit "Never gonna Give You Up". So that should date it. It was a blast! They used to pack em in. The dance floor was sunken so it was like that disco scene in 1981 film Scarface (Miami). Had great state of the art lighting and strobe lights. I couldn't beleive they yanked it out. I am sure management had good reasons to do so. It was fun while it lasted. :lol:

I'm guessing Shangai Red's was a fire trap. Looked like it was made of all wood.

Very true. In fact just the other week as we stood at the entrance I noticed at least 2 patrons slip and almost fall on the water covered entrance next to the mock waterfall. The mist leaves a slick green mossy film on the walkway. Recipe for trouble. :o

As I mentioned above this place must have some $ tucked away for beautification of entry from Broadway and for better safety guards. The former disco was replaced with extra dining space.

Oddly enough, whenever East Houston has created fun disco's in the past, they seldom last. Even the Island Club (former Helena Hotel) met the same fate. There was also a place called Club Rio on Edgebrook? around late 80's that was a flash in the pan. Must have been law suits, etc. Then everyone eventually shifts back to downtown and Galleria area for dancing, funny. :rolleyes:

Archived