Emporium Architectural & Antiques At 515 Morse St.

sidegate

So that mural with the futons is gone, has it been that long. I need to get out more often.

That futon place was there forever. But isn't that across from Brasil's?

The mural went away when it became the mid-century modern furniture store. They took out the mural to put in some big display windows. It now houses both American Apparel and Duo. Between those two stores, Edin, and Raye, the area is now full of angst-ridden teens who drive in on Saturdays to find new clothes that will make them look cool in Kingwood.

• 1 month later...

"Between those two stores, Edin, and Raye, the area is now full of angst-ridden teens who drive in on Saturdays to find new clothes that will make them look cool in Kingwood."

So nothing has changed, its always attracted the angsty crowd.

Well, here's an update - beams are up, and it's definitely right up against the street. They've had them up for more than a week, I think....

yeah saw that. huzzah!! all eyes are on the space in front of the architectural emporium. has a setback variance been applied for that as well?

• 4 years later...

Why am I not getting a picture of this one in my head?

Was it the long store with the almost garage-like doors that opened up to the street? It that is what has vanished then that is a HUGE loss if only for the vitality it added to the sidewalk culture. I hope it wasn't that one.

The only other one I can think of on that block is the old Trash and Treasure.

I was just in that antique store with the garage doors. I've loved that bldg. since I was a kid.

Noticed that the old house/ antique store across the street, just east of it, is now gone. Does anyone know what happened to it? I remember the yard, screen door, it was a neat place, sorry to see it gone. Sat on a corner.

The blue bungalow antiques store (just east of the laundry bldg./ w. garage doors) was a real treat to walk through. It's huge. I've never seen original floor tile like that. Looked like an art deco design pattern on each tile, black and red on cream background. Never seen kitchen counter top tiles that small, either. Were 1/2 inch (I'm guessing) squares, like mosiac tiles, white, with black and white larger tile borders. Two back porches. Garage Apartments, looked like, in back. Wonder how old that house is. Employee said late 1800's. I'm guessing early 1900's.

Well, here's an update - beams are up, and it's definitely right up against the street. They've had them up for more than a week, I think....

Amazing...5 years later, and the "new" building has never had a tenant on the ground floor

I was just in that antique store with the garage doors. I've loved that bldg. since I was a kid.

Noticed that the old house/ antique store across the street, just east of it, is now gone. Does anyone know what happened to it? I remember the yard, screen door, it was a neat place, sorry to see it gone. Sat on a corner.

The blue bungalow antiques store (just east of the laundry bldg./ w. garage doors) was a real treat to walk through. It's huge. I've never seen original floor tile like that. Looked like an art deco design pattern on each tile, black and red on cream background. Never seen kitchen counter top tiles that small, either. Were 1/2 inch (I'm guessing) squares, like mosiac tiles, white, with black and white larger tile borders. Two back porches. Garage Apartments, looked like, in back. Wonder how old that house is. Employee said late 1800's. I'm guessing early 1900's.

Correction: That "blue house" antiques is not a bungalow, I don't know what style, looked on googleearth at it. The front porch and inside "feel" reminded me of one.

The one that's a parking lot now? If yes, it caught fire and burned down almost a year and a half ago.

I think so. Oh, that's sad. Thanks for the info, samagon. It was definitely a small house at one time. It had lots of stuff in the yard, I think there was a fence u walked through.

Thanks for the link. That's not the one I was talking about. It was a one story, 1000 sq. ft. house, if that. It may have been an old gas station, at one time. Sat on a corner.

The garage door antique store is King's. Across the street to the East on a corner could only be Antique Warehaus, which was at the corner of Westheimer and Park streets (the only other corner after that is Dunlavy). It is the aforementioned one that burned down, and it had a fence around part of it.

PmDae.jpg

Sorry, but no, that picture doesn't look like it. Am I driving you guys crazy?

It gave me the impression it was an old house...when I walked through it...was not painted up, at all. Front door had a screen door. More run-down on the outside. Stuff all out in the yard. North side of Westheimer, close by the multi-garage door bldg. on the south side of the street. It was definitely somewhere @ Park St. I used to visit both stores. Opposite sides of street. They were two of my favorites.

What street is that in the picture? Park or Westheimer?

Since you said it may have been a gas station...

Before it was Empire Cafe... and before it was Chutes... could it have been an antique place? That would be on the North side of Westheimer almost directly across from the garage door place on the corner of Elmen St.

• Like 1

I believe it sat next to (west of) Agora, was across Park St., (east of) the Haus place. Northside of street. Parking lot now, sad.

Yes, pics please, Pleak...much appreciated.

KinkaidAlum...thought about that possibility, when I was walking the street. Think the little structure/ house (gas station?) antique shop was further to the east.

Edited by NenaE

I believe it sat next to (west of) Agora, was across Park St., (east of) the Haus place. Northside of street. Parking lot now, sad.

Would be impossible. Agora and Haus were next-door neighbors. Agora sustained major fire damage when Haus burned. You mean west of Haus across Park?

Edited by kylejack

:wacko: ...thanks Kylejack. Will study this a little later...I just remember the side street being to the left of the little house, off Westheimer. North side of Westheimer. How long has the building had that mural on it, with flowers? Guessing?

• The title was changed to Old Antiques Store On Westheimer Rd.
  • The title was changed to Emporium Architectural & Antiques At 515 Morse St.