Emporium Architectural & Antiques At 515 Morse St.

sidegate

Sorry to see that one go - not because the building itself was any great shakes, but because it contributed to the density of the neighborhood.

Even if one wanted to, could a new building be built as close to the street? Or would current building codes prevent that?

It would be great if something that contributes to the neighborhood is built on that site. I'm not optimistic.

Sorry to see that one go - not because the building itself was any great shakes, but because it contributed to the density of the neighborhood.

Even if one wanted to, could a new building be built as close to the street? Or would current building codes prevent that?

It would be great if something that contributes to the neighborhood is built on that site. I'm not optimistic.

Ordinances probably require a 25' setback from Westheimer, since it is a major thoroughfare, but a developer could get a variance from the City if they are willing. Parking requirements may also come into play, though, and if it is retail, you can be almost assured that they'll just stick the parking out front and avoid either issue.

If it is residential, they'd be much more likely to pursue the variance, build structured parking, and cram as many apartments into a four-to-six-story structure as possible.

Why am I not getting a picture of this one in my head?

Was it the long store with the almost garage-like doors that opened up to the street? It that is what has vanished then that is a HUGE loss if only for the vitality it added to the sidewalk culture. I hope it wasn't that one.

The only other one I can think of on that block is the old Trash and Treasure.

Was it the long store with the almost garage-like doors that opened up to the street? It that is what has vanished then that is a HUGE loss if only for the vitality it added to the sidewalk culture. I hope it wasn't that one.

actually it's more like westheimer and elmen. northwest side.

across elmen from empire cafe and across westheimer from the antique store with the roll up doors (old brick dry cleaners bldg)

Guest danax

Me neither. Let's face it, those antique stores are part of an older, funkier Montrose and, although very popular, sit on very valuable land. With this one gone, the seal might have been broken. The others' days are probably numbered.

This was a dilapidated barn-red wooden building situated right next to the sidewalk, on the north side of Westheimer.

The building with the overhead doors is the old Hollyfield Laundry building, which still houses several antique dealers. Trash and Treasure is still in operation.

Is this the red boarded up looking building? I think there is a sign on the site for what is coming. Doesn't it say office and retail or am I thinking of the wrong lot?

Not a full shot of the building but is this it?

http://flickr.com/photos/groovehouse/384262337/

Yes, that's the one; kind of hard to picture it from so close a view (but great shot, groovehouse!)

Ah, glad to hear it wasn't the Hollyfield Laundry Bldg or the Trash and Treasures. I like those two a lot.

Wasn't the red one called BJs Oldies or something like that? I could have sworn I noticed that sign the last time I was down in Houston...or is that across the street?

Wasn't the red one called BJs Oldies or something like that?

Nope. BJs is in the Hollyfield Laundry Bldg that's still there. The red building needed to go. I'm excited and hopeful about whatever goes in next. Maybe the return of Dietrich's following its unceremonious ouster from two blocks west! I know some people who would be thrilled.

I'm excited and hopeful about whatever goes in next.

seems like i remember, the last time i was at empire, seeing a sign on the subject property stating "future shopping center".

yeah the red building looked like ass, and did so for a long time. good riddance.

I like the zero ft setbacks. I can't think of many other areas that have that feeling of intimacy that comes with dozens of people milling about looking at antiques, cool clothes shops, drinking coffee in a street-side patio. But what the hell am I smoking....it will turn into generic stripcentersville before we know it....

If the developer can pull of what he's proposed, the new building will be 2.5 floors with zero setback. He's had a hell of a time with the city getting permitted for the parking because of the density of the project (parking in back). The thing that really concerns me about the current plan, though, is that it could be another cheesy stucco Mediterranean structure. There's actually a rendering on the corner of the site.

I concur about the stucco but what largeTexas wrote has me hopeful. No setbacks, parking in the rear, apartment above office above retail sounds PERFECT in that location.

Of course, only in Houston would this type of development have a hard time getting permits. However, if some nutjub came in and wanted to pave the entire streetscape, place about 50X more parking spaces than truly needed out front, and plop down a strip center with a nail salon, a dry cleaners, and some type of sandwich shop (Subway/Quiznos) it would probably already be built!

if some nutjub came in and wanted to pave the entire streetscape, place about 50X more parking spaces than truly needed out front, and plop down a strip center with a nail salon, a dry cleaners, and some type of sandwich shop (Subway/Quiznos) it would probably already be built!

LOL. Don't forget Jackson Hewitt.

• 1 month later...
yeah the red building looked like ass, and did so for a long time. good riddance.

I like the zero ft setbacks. I can't think of many other areas that have that feeling of intimacy that comes with dozens of people milling about looking at antiques, cool clothes shops, drinking coffee in a street-side patio. But what the hell am I smoking....it will turn into generic stripcentersville before we know it....

I was up there today and saw they were getting prepared for a foundation and it looked like the piers were along the sidewalk. According a guy who works next door, it looks like the guy finally got his variance and can build along the sidwalk. The rumor is for a 1st floor retail and restaurant (with possible patio tables on the side street), second floor office, third floor residence. I hope that is the case.

On another note, the old architectural emporium is being dismantled and apparently the owners will redevelop that block.

I was up there today and saw they were getting prepared for a foundation and it looked like the piers were along the sidewalk. According a guy who works next door, it looks like the guy finally got his variance and can build along the sidwalk. The rumor is for a 1st floor retail and restaurant (with possible patio tables on the side street), second floor office, third floor residence. I hope that is the case.

Sounds just about perfect to me!

Sounds awesome. I am glad it's going to be close to the street as well.

Everything in Montreal is close to the street and I bet no more people get run over there than in Houston. Sorry for the random Montreal comparison, I know that can get me in trouble here! :)

Archived