METRO Park And Ride Break Ins

So some sorry mofos tried to steal my car from the Park and Ride. They didn't get very far, but still.

So much for Metro's fancy new camera system. 100% Junk.

Homer Simpson was right. "Public transportation is for jerks and lesbians".

I am done with it.

which lot specifically?

you should email a couple of councilmembers. they like to forward things like this directly to metro. i remember i recieved a letter from queen shirley dilibero herself!

But it makes you want to drive a POS so the thugs won't touch it.

It's worked well for me...

I've driven around with the doors unlocked for well over a year now (one of my door locks doesn't work)...no loss of CD's, radio or MP3 player.

In fact, since last summer I've driven around with a computer in my back seat (CPU and keyboard), with the doors unlocked, as an experiment. (The computer is nearly as old as my 10-year old car). It's going on 8 or 9 months, and I can't get anyone to steal my worthless computer. Looks like I'll actually have to properly dispose of the damn thing myself after all... :P

I'm a bit surprised, myself. My car isn't exactly a POS...it's 10 years old, with 130,000 miles, but no exterior damage at all...no dents, no scratches, looks great.

I live in South Union, not the highest rent neighborhood in Houston, and I park my car in UH parking lots several times a week (which are supposedly notorious for break-ins, although I've never had one in my 16 years of parking at UH)...but I can't seem to get my car broken into. Is it luck? Or do they just know not to mess with this bad mofo in the Saturn sedan?

I just don't get it...when we were high school hoodlums, you always looked for the easy grab first, the cars with the doors unlocked! :o

Guest danax
It's worked well for me...

Me too. Urban stealth. Reverse-bling.

Even if I won the lotto, I think I'd get my car fixed up in purely invisible ways.

Coog, your incident might have something to do with spring break.

This has been going on for like 2 yrs. I remember some local station mentioning about break-ins at Park and Ride locations over 2yrs ago. Metro then had police patrolling them for a while. I guess after all this died down, Metro must have let their guard down.

I work downtown and the reason i was afraid of taking park and ride due to possible car-break-ins. I have a sports car, so decided against park and ride.

So some sorry mofos tried to steal my car from the Park and Ride. They didn't get very far, but still.

So much for Metro's fancy new camera system. 100% Junk.

Homer Simpson was right. "Public transportation is for jerks and lesbians".

I am done with it.

Sorry, coog, but I never pictured you as a wuss.

As I have mentioned in another thread a long time ago, crime happens to everyone, not just you. If you want to give up the P&R because you're paranoid about your car, then you must be awfully thin skinned.

And yes, I've been a victim (over a period of 10 years) of a Car Jacking, a burglary, and had my car stolen and vandalized, but I don't go walking around thinking every crook in the city of houston is personally out to get me and I got over it

live your life, man up, and get over it.

I park my car in UH parking lots several times a week (which are supposedly notorious for break-ins, although I've never had one in my 16 years of parking at UH)...but I can't seem to get my car broken into.
16 yrs at UH? i thought engineering had a long program!
And yes, I've been a victim (over a period of 10 years) of a Car Jacking, a burglary, and had my car stolen and vandalized, but I don't go walking around thinking every crook in the city of houston is personally out to get me and I got over it

maybe if you changed your name from ricco you wouldnt have as bad luck.

16 yrs at UH? i thought engineering had a long program!

maybe if you changed your name from ricco you wouldnt have as bad luck.

I don't understand the joke you're getting at.

Nice to know you finally discovered how to answer multiple posts at one time, though.

16 yrs at UH?

Well, it took me five to get through engineering, but I'm on campus usually at least once every other week for the last 11 going to football, baseball, basketball games...and now working out at the Campus Wellness Center (or whatever they call the "gym" nowadays). I guess I feel like I've never left UH... ;)

But I've known more than a couple of 10-year veterans at UH. Some were slackers, but some were slowly making their way to a degree while working 50-hour weeks and raising kids. I've got a lot of respect for folks that can handle that kind of hell for ten straight years.

Well, it took me five to get through engineering, but I'm on campus usually at least once every other week for the last 11 going to football, baseball, basketball games...and now working out at the Campus Wellness Center (or whatever they call the "gym" nowadays). I guess I feel like I've never left UH... ;)

But I've known more than a couple of 10-year veterans at UH. Some were slackers, but some were slowly making their way to a degree while working 50-hour weeks and raising kids. I've got a lot of respect for folks that can handle that kind of hell for ten straight years.

that wellness center is amazing!! what year did you graduate? '89 here.

yeah, i knew it was a joke, but typical some of your posts, i figured you left something out.

the intended reader understood just fine. ;)

that wellness center is amazing!! what year did you graduate? '89 here.

I graduated in '96...and yes the Wellness Center is very nice. The abundance of college-age women in that building sure helps with the motivation factor! I believe they just had the NCAA Div III Swimming and Diving championships at the Wellness Center, and I noticed earlier this year on several consecutive weekends that it was being used for state swimming and diving tournaments.

I think it's events like those that bring people onto UH campus and help dispell some of the old myths about UH. When I started working 10 years ago, I actually worked with people who said that they wouldn't let their kids go to UH because it was too dangerous! Of course, if you look at campus crime stats, you see that crime on UH campus pretty similiar to A&M, and both have crime rates MUCH lower than UT-Austin.

the intended reader understood just fine. ;)

Yeah, you might say I'm sensitive to jokes about UH. ;)

And...to get back on topic...MidtownCoog, take a deep breath for a few days, and you'll realize that the attempted break-in was random, there's nothing you can do about it, and it could have happened in your driveway while you were asleep. That wouldn't make you stop driving home, would it?

I understand your frustration...it's warranted. I think after a few days of contemplation, however, you'll find that the benefits of the Park & Ride far outweigh the risks.

• The title was changed to METRO Park And Ride Break Ins